Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Fat Bikes – Again!!!
  • toys19
    Free Member

Having looked at the Nicolai fat vid I think I might be starting to get perverted over to a fat bike..

The issue is they are bloody expensive for essentially a rigid with no real bells/whistles.

Is there any other deal around that is a good a value as the on one fatty, is the Nicolai really a much better bike? (I found a price yesterday but can’t find it now, was about 2500 for a complete bike..)

ska-49
    Free Member

I’ve just built my fatty up for £700.
    Good spec and reliable. Mine weighs just under 34lbs.
    I can’t see how the nicolai could be 3x better but it will be more bling and maybe slightly lighter.

toys19
    Free Member

ska, whats your recipe then? I want a fat bike for 700.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tazzymtb

Mine has cost 475.00 second hand on one fatty and some spares from the bits box to finish. Running ss at the mo, may go 1×10 for deep snowy things. Nice bike,foul colour and the on one rear qr is gash as it keeps loosing the back wheel even with my gorilla arms beating it up to mental tight

Keef
    Free Member

may go 1×10 for deep snowy things

mincer.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

may go 1×10 for deep snowy things

BURN THE HERETIC!!!!

scotroutes

The On One Fatty rolling chassis gets you all the “weird” bits at a reasonable coat. After that, it’s just a question of what you finish it with.

Alternatively, see what you can pick up 2nd hand. With lots of new models coming out over the next few months there are bound to be a few owners looking to “upgrade”.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I doubt the Nicolai is better at all.

I did it cheaper by sh. And judicious buying, also badging a frame.

toys19
    Free Member

scotroutes, had not seen the on-one rolling chassis, that is interesting.
    I have everything else..

ska-49
    Free Member

Bought the On one rolling chassis and then bolted bits on from bargain finds. Spec includes XT/SLX drivetrain, Truvative cranks, Avid BB7 brakes and Kona finishing kit. Cheaper and better than the stock build.

toys19
    Free Member

ska, cheers. I was gonna say is that how you did it.
    I think Septembers wages are going to take a beating..

coastkid
    Free Member

So you selling the 907 frame and fork for a couple of hundered quid then Colin? 😉

My mate bought all the parts for an On One Fatty build kit used on eBay. Only a Howitzer 100mm BB was new, Now rolling fat 3×9 gears (no granny for fatbikes is for dreamers and posers – take em where MTBs struggle or cannot go :wink:) for under £700, so it can be done as cheap as a regular front suspension hardtail mtb 🙂

gaz552
    Free Member

Nicolai’s frame does look nicer than the on one fatty, but i think for most people you’d need to really hate the on one frame to warrant spending the extra money for the Nicolai.

Just out of curiosity how well do surly fat bikes compare?

ska-49
    Free Member

They’re fantastic! Haven’t ridden my other bikes since building this up. Not sure why either. I also managed to steal a KOM on it the other day.

coastkid
    Free Member

The Surly is the bench mark as the original production fatbike, some other makes are better for some types of riding, some are not, Surly Pugsley is still the most versatile frameset using 135mm so can use any hub set up, SS, gears, IGH etc, also it has options to take racks if you want, I have just bought my 3rd Pugsley frame to build a new Super Pugsley over the winter for next year 🙂

Real comfy flexy frame set with geometery that lets you get away with front end slides etc, My Pugs with the offset 29+ Krampus wheels makes my Karate Monkey a bit redundent now, I have not ridden anything that has made me want to upgrade for riding trails and the coast. Weight is an over talked thing with fatbikes, Pugs frameset though is light for what it is,

It has the shortest chainstay for a 4″ fatbike (only 5mm shorter than an On One) still the best fatbike for the money i have ridden for both MTB type riding and beach/ moorland peat and areas you take them where a regular MTB would be a struggle or unrideable.
    Fatbikes are not a replacement for a regular MTB, Something some folk keep banging on about…

Some white and black frames from a production run had a frame cracking issue at the seat tube to seat stays, which Surly have warranted and replaced,

29+ – thats the fatbike for regular MTB riding areas 😉

itstig

There is pugsley frame and moonlander forks on that there e bay ends today

toys19
    Free Member

itstig the only one I can find finishes in 5 days time?

itstig

oops my mistake, because it was on top of the page I misread and thought it was 5 hours

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Fat Bikes – Again!!!’ is closed to new replies.