Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Fat bike vs Road bike (bad) science
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I rode my hill rep loop this am on my On One fat bike. I’ve previously taken my road bike up it.

Road bike (18lb, 23/25mm tyres @ 85psi) 3m 15s; fat bike (35lb, 3.8″ tyres super hard at 20psi) 4m 15s – 31% slower.

My weight is ~80kg, meaning the fat bike and I are around 9% heavier than the road combo, and so the fat bike rolling resistance is 22% greater* – interesting!

*the bad science bit: Assuming the same power. I’ve not got my powercal yet, so I can’t verify this, and I’ve not been riding so much since I did that time a few weeks ago, but my HR was in the same area for the climb, and I’ll re-do it once I have the meter.

ton

is this all you have to do with your time?
    no wonder bike shops get a bad name, with lazy layabout staff like you doing sod all work……….. 🙄

cynic-al
    Free Member

Love how you assume I was skiving, says something about you!

It was before work you moron.

ton

bit harsh that Al………. 😆

dpfr

I suspect the difference in rolling resistance is probably greater. At the higher speed of the road bike you’ll be expending more energy to overcome air resistance, and that’s not lineraly related to speed.

taxi25
    Free Member

Not sure if the 22% is only rolling resistance. I’d bet the road bike transfers power much better as well.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Powercal ain’t going to tell you anything more than your HR monitor.

kayla1
    Free Member

Do you have fun on both bikes?

edit- I meant that if the fat bike is out of its element it may not be as much fun as the road bike.

edit again- although that might be part of the enjoyment.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

You’ll be more aero on the road bike…probably counts for a fair bit.

wwaswas

road bike riding position may allow more efficient pedalling.

rickmeister

Try another lap of a similar distance with both bikes, but this time take them off road and post your times…

cookeaa

Seems like a moderate, reasonable, scientific Approach IMO.

You’ve conducted the same test on two bikes, using the same rider and treating time taken as your measure, you’ve calculated the differences in mass, I’d say Aero is negligible for a climb (discuss) and you say you’ve maintained a similar HR for both (as good a measure of the work done as possible)…

I’d buy that 22% figure, applied to climbing, accepting an appropriate margin for error…

I supposed you could try to verify it by conducting a similar set of tests rolling along on a flat level surface, and coasting down, from a standing start. Both would probably require calculating the difference in frontal area to reconcile the aero differences…

igm

Better riding position for power / efficiency on one of the bikes?

Huge Wallace-like grin on the fat bike causing aero-drag?

Perhaps try putting the fat bike wheels on the road bike to compensate for the different riding position and see if that affects rolling resistance?

Let us know how you get on with that last one. And if any spoons were harmed.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Perhaps try putting the fat bike wheels on the road bike…

Al, has your road bike got clearance for 3″ tyres?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’d bet the road bike transfers power much better as well.

If the bike doesn’t transfer the power, where is the power going??

TooTall
    Free Member

bit harsh that Al.

Classic ton. Troll in hard then back away with ‘I didn’t mean that 😉 ‘ when someone calls you on it.

fisha
    Free Member

When you say rolling resistance, are you meaning frictional tyre to Tarmac resistance, or inertial resistance of trying to get a heavier tyre rolling going uphill.
    U
    I really doubt that the first would make 22% difference, where as the latter would.

Edric64
    Free Member

Only 85 psi in road tyres ? they must be nearly on the rim !

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Sounds about right. Most people run far too high pressures in road tyres. Or are you a fat bastard?

fisha
    Free Member

I’m a fat bastard … 90 to 100psi

cynic-al
    Free Member

ton – Member

bit harsh that Al……….

You clown.

taxi25 – Member

Not sure if the 22% is only rolling resistance. I’d bet the road bike transfers power much better as well.

Despite what mfrs say, I doubt it. It’s a 2.5kg alu fat frame vs a 1kg carbon.

Speed is such that aero is irrelevant IMO (10mph av)

fisha – Member

When you say rolling resistance, are you meaning frictional tyre to Tarmac resistance, or inertial resistance of trying to get a heavier tyre rolling going uphill.

I mean the energy lost to tyre deformation at the contact patch with the road. As the speed is relatively constant the losses due to your latter affect are IMO small, though greater with the fat tyre.

I’m surprised this could be 22% but of course it would be way smaller given the errors involved.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m surprised it’s only 22%…

nice test, you’ve done the best you can with the tools at your diposal, and identified the uncertainties associated with them = good science!

andytherocketeer

now go and repeat the test on a beach, to cross-calibrate the results

boxelder

You clown.

Takes all sorts

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzu-YFHqfMc[/video]

ndthornton
    Free Member

Add 17lb of ballast to the road bike
    time the loop again
    See if you are 9% slower

Shaun20
    Free Member

If you ride a fat bike I doubt you are that worried about power transfer.

winstonsmith

I thought you had a girlfriend now al?

Paceman
    Free Member

Find a nice techy singletrack downhill and compare the two bikes on that, I suspect you’d find the fat bike was at least 22% faster (if you lived to tell the tale on the road bike 😉 ).

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Fat bike vs Road bike (bad) science’ is closed to new replies.