Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Fat Bike tyre – can't get it 'round'!
  • crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

If only there was some sort of inflatable tube you could put inside the tyre

kinda what I was thinking whilst reading those epic tales of woe, but felt a bit churlish mentioning it when the OP holds me responsible for him looking like he’s borrowed some of Cameron Diaz’s hair gel…

Northwind

While tubeless faff is faffy, it’s faff when I can be arsed with it. But after pinchflat number X and reinflating a 4.8 tyre with a backpackable pump, that’s definitely preferrable. I’ll do 10 times more faff in the garage if I must to remove that faff in the rain up a hill.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Can’t argue with that sentiment, just that I am incredibly lucky with punctures (famous last words) I probably get 1 off-road and 1 on-road a year (doing at least 500 miles a month year-round). It’s so few that I forgot I needed a ‘special’ allen key (ie bigger than my standard multi tool) for my Alpine bolt-thru rear axle, and had a long walk back to Coed-y-brenin centre. My solution was to put the bloody allen key back in my pack, not go tubeless. I’m not anti, just meh, for me there isn’t enough perceived benefit to be worth the frustration. I have been known to troll tubeless evangelists because I react badly to evangelism in general; but you guys are advocates, not zealots.

RickSpangle
    Free Member

Pimpmyride….. I’m not sure where the split tube overlaps the tyre (I assume it overlaps somewhere)

Inside the tyre or in between the tyre and the rim (ive seen both done!!)

Sorry if its a dumbass question, but I’ve deliberately avoided all tubeless attempts based on the the faff to reward ratio. I have emmantal wheels and floaters and have gone tubeless on all my other bikes over the years…

also… how low would you go with psi… currently running 7 up front but prefer 6 but this ends in pinch flats..

Ta…

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Rick = the tube overlaps the rim by about 15mm each side. Then pop your tyre on and when inflated it seals beautifully! To be honest I haven’t even trimmed the excess because it makes it easier if you do get a puncture to sort it out again.

Iv’e run them both at 6psi in different variations and they have held up well after an hour blasting around Pines so i’m sure you will be fine bud 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Fat Bike tyre – can't get it 'round'!’ is closed to new replies.