Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fat bike tubeless conversions.
  • twoniner
    Free Member

Who here’s done one?

Been trying to get on the fat bike forum for ages, even with numerous emails, no joy.

I’m after going tubeless on my On One fatty and I’ve seen numerous ways of doing it so I just want to sound out anyone on here that’s done it and how you’re getting on.

Some use the ghetto system and others use gorilla tape and stans valve.

Cheers. 🙂

stuey
    Free Member

I’ve used sliced inner tubes and gorilla tape both with laminate floor ‘underlay foam’ both work…
    Had trouble seating without CO2 canister. Inner tube liner made it very hard to get tyre on straight as it was a tight fit – next time I’d use less padding.

Also once sealed re-inflate with air to stop CO2 from causing ‘Stans’ going off / hard.

Keef
    Free Member

what you want is a foam exercise mat from Decathalon,£3.
    a 24″ inner tube.
    a rim strip if using drilled rim.
    fit rim strip.
    cut a strip of mat to fit in the wheel,one or two layers,secure with a bit of tape.
    ghetto tube as usual.
    soap up the tyre beads and ghetto strip.
    inflate.
    leave for a while.
    deflate,and add sealer through valve,if you use schrader,it’s much easier.
    re-inflate.

job dun.

go ride.

twoniner
    Free Member

How much sealant are you using? Is a 2 oz stans bottle enough for a wheel?

Keef
    Free Member

in a fresh fat tyre,about 120-140ml. works for me.

singlespeedstu

I’m using Gorilla tape and bolt in schrader valves on a few Rolling D rims.
    No foam, just use a tube to seat the tyre then pop one bead off/pull the tube out/bolt the valve in, then chuck a couple of cups of stans and inflate.
    I’m also using a split tube on a drilled out Large Marge.

twoniner
    Free Member

Nice one.

Im looking at inner tubes now and Schwalbe do a 24in schrader valve. Do you need a specific width tube to open up over the rim?

Keef
    Free Member

bigger=better. 2,1/4″ work on 80mm rims.

twoniner
    Free Member

Stu,

Thanks for that, that ebay seller only has the 1 but I know what I’m looking for now. They aint cheap though 😯 better get it right 1st time!

Keef
    Free Member

try Decathalon.

trout
    Free Member

My take on the subject was to get rid of a tube all together as did not want to remove a tube and then put a split one back in
    here is the thread
    light weight fatty tubless

done about 400 miles on them so far with zero problems and pulled out a couple of thorns from the back tyre which sealed up nicely .

use plenty of sealant as the floater sidewalls are a bit porous at first till the sealant gets to them

twoniner
    Free Member

Cheers for the link Trout I have been having a good look around and there are many different ways of doing it, bit of a minefield!

I want to get it done because I’m not looking forward to getting a flat and having to pump that tyre up on the trail 🙁

drofluf
    Free Member

Haven’t tried it myself but on the MTBR forum someone recommended using a swimming pool ‘noodle’ as a tyre liner.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fat bike tubeless conversions.’ is closed to new replies.