Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fat Bike Stunts…..yes, really
  • pampmyride
    Free Member

Pat Smage is a multi Moto -trials champ form the States. Pretty handy on a fat bike too..

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Brilliant!

Danny, dump your mobility bike and get on a fattie.

kerley
    Free Member

Very smooth and flowing rider compared to most who do the same sort of thing. No experience of riding over rocky things but I would imagine having very wide tyres is going to help rather than hinder.

singlespeedstu

His brother is a bit wilder.
    It’s ok to post this as he can now walk again…

akira

Expected to see a portly fellow doing jumps but this was pretty good. It’s how I imagine I can ride shortly before thoroughly disproving my belief.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Very smooth and flowing rider compared to most who do the same sort of thing. No experience of riding over rocky things but I would imagine having very wide tyres is going to help rather than hinder.

50/50 I expect, on the one hand less pressure should make it more consistent, on the other, I’ve crashed my fatty more spectacularly, and more times than any XC bike I’ve had. On some surfaces (dry dusty dirt) it’ll drift forever, even when pedaling out of corners, and you look like a hero. On the other, there seems to be absolutely zero grip on roots. There’s no grip with normal tyres, but fat tires just seem to stick to the root and slide you along it. I’ve wiped out going uphill on rooty switchback corners! Going down my record was 3 big stacks on an hours XC ride, each one the same, either the front or rear just let go so quickly there was no reacting to it.

Also fat bikes tend to have a big BB drop (80mm or so) on account of the ~30″ wheels, which makes manuals hard as when you push through the pedals the axis is below the axle so you’re not getting any lift (the chain stay want’s to get longer as the BB comes up) because you’ve actually getting further away from the rea axle. A trials bike has a BB above the axles (or at least inline) which means when you push the chainstay is getting shorter and the front wheel get’s easier the higher it goes.

That and weight, Ok a motorbike is heavier, but has F+r suspension to load up, and an engine to push you up stuff. Fat wheels aren’t exactly light.

mrpeaski
    Free Member

Chris Akrigg – The Shoreline

bforbertie

Am I being stupid, but he’s rolling backwards without back pedalling at the end? Seen this recently on another video, is there something allowing him to freewheel backwards????

kayak23

Freecoaster?

Sam Pilgrim does a great ghetto version where he replaces a few of the sprockets with cassette spacers. When he wants to trick rolling backwards he changes gear onto the spacers. Pretty cool.

Bernard has been riding one lately too.

I knew I was a trailblazer and all the ‘cool’ kids would catch up eventually.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Yeah, I thought that, maybe just took the pawls out as you don’t need to pedal on a pump track?

zippykona

In that Chris Akrig video could a good rider ride those baby head rocks on a normal bike?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Does a fat sized free coaster exist?

In some ways they make more sense than a freehub, except dont they normally have rubbish pickup? And wouldn’t it be rubbish for trials?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yes it’s a freecoaster, I asked the exact same thing today on the YouTube comments and he’s linked to another video explaining it. I’ve not seen it yet but it seems to be 3D printed. If you arrange comments by date mine should be near the top (or bottom).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fat Bike Stunts…..yes, really’ is closed to new replies.