• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fat Bike = splayed legs question?
  • lostneverfound
    Free Member

On FAT bikes do you have to have a much wider space between the pedals and does this create any problems with a splayed legs feeling whilst riding. Any knee problems or other issues because of this? And is it possible to buy one with a reduced Q factor.
    Just curious….
    I don’t want one, yes I do, no I don’t, yes I do, N+1 .

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s about 30mm.

Despite Graeme Obree and various “oh shit, what can we sell this year” marketing departments, my belief is that for riders like us it makes **** all difference.

lostneverfound
    Free Member

Ah thanks, I had the impression it was more than that and yes the marketing men are getting me on this one, strange as I have absolutely no use for one yet.

mrmo
    Free Member

It’s about 30mm.

Despite Graeme Obree and various “oh shit, what can we sell this year” marketing departments, my belief is that for riders like us it makes **** all difference.

for me the difference between the chorus on the road bike and the XT on the mtb is noticeable and i have been known to get a little knee pain if i don’t take the first few mtb rides for a while carefully.

It is very much a rider specific thing, some will be unafected, others will be massively affected.

wwaswas

I’ve got child bearing hips so will probably be ok.

swavis

I’ve never even given it a seconds thought. It’s just another bike innit? Albeit a very fun one 😉

clubby

Never noticed it either.
    Seen bigger differences between width of pedals, especially going from spd to flats.

singlespeedstu

I notice when i’m in ruts and catch my pedals a little bit more often.
    Other than that after a couple of minutes it doesn’t feel any different.

scotroutes

“Normal” BB is 68/73mm. Fat BB is 100mm. So – around 30mm difference. can’t say I’ve ever noticed it.

If you’re worried then consider a 29+ (like a Krampus).

Im pretty sure wide BB spacing has caused me knee pain before, one thing that I noticed when swapping from a triple ring mtb crank to a road double (same bike btw) what the difference in power i had. It may just be me though……

JoeG
    Free Member

I have a Fatty and never really noticed the difference when riding.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fat Bike = splayed legs question?’ is closed to new replies.