Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Fat bike rigid fork mudguard
  • pb2

Can anyone recommend a decent fat bike mudguard.Fork is rigid and tyres are 4″ or 5″. Those tyres fling a lot of crap towards your face 😐

Northwind

Mine has a shockboard on it… TBH it’s not big enough to be perfect but it’s still better than others I’ve used. Less hideous than the Grand DAD but probably less effective too.

Keep being tempted to make trials bike guards like Epicyclo’s.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Mine has a shockboard on it and I extended its width by glueing strips from a black plastic folder on to it. Works very well.

scotroutes

SKS Grand DAD on my Fatbike. Mostly does the job.

epicyclo

No substitute for a proper mudguard IMO.

(Modified trials motorbike mudguard)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m using SKS Fatboards on my Wazoo, they work a treat even though they attach to the down tube at the front. The rear quick release strap for the seat post is very clever, I was convinced it was broken until I went to the bike to fit! 😆

pb2

Bloody hell Epicyclo that a proper WW2 jobbie 🙂 Without wishing to be rude I would prefer something a tad easier on the eye.

flashes
    Free Member

I have flat metal ones on the 26er with big tyres and asked an engineering mate if he could do pairs but 4″ wide, would anyone else be interested???? If there’s a market we can try and source the stays…

epicyclo

pb2 – Member
    Bloody hell Epicyclo that a proper WW2 jobbie Without wishing to be rude I would prefer something a tad easier on the eye.

No offence taken. I don’t build for aesthetics, just for use, ie I ride my bike, not look at it. Everything on it has to work.

And when I get home I’m not rinsing dried out emulsified shit off my face or licking it off my lips.. 🙂

cookeaa

Drum brake and wingnuts??!?

I find it strangely appealing…

epicyclo

cookeaa – Member
    Drum brake and wingnuts??!?

I find it strangely appealing…

The drum brakes work well and they are still on the same barely worn linings despite 5 years of use and multiple solo Puffers.

If you do the wheel spinning test, it will keep turning for long after most disk hubs have stopped. It’s like a nice Campag road wheel – spin it and go for a cup of tea, and it’s still spinning.

The wing nuts – that’s a ‘Puffer mod. I can have the wheel off in the same time as you get your QR wound out past the lawyer tabs.

(The QR lever you can see halfway up the fork secures the brake torque arm so there’s no faffing with spanners to get the wheel off)

Not the prettiest of bikes, I know… 🙂

Northwind

I think Epicyclo’s bike looks awesome tbh. The guards’d look grim on a normal bike but they add to the cartoonishness I think which is what first got me about fatbikes anyway. Love it. I think I also like that, in my head, they can’t possibly work but they obviously do.

zippykona

I use a fatty down tube thing and an old 26er rear crud catcher I had laying around.
    Heated it up then zip tied it to my wheel to cool. It works really well.I will trim the rear at some point as it’s not really needed.

medievalkneival
    Free Member

I have a specialized fatboy pro with 4.6 Specialized Ground Control tyres. The bike is fitted with the Bluto fork

For the front and rear mud guards, i bought the Muddy Knutz fenders. Fits fine on the rear, but could’nt get the front to fit. Took it back to my LBS, where i got it from, told me it fits fine for the rigid fork, but “might not fit the Bluto fork”. Not the end of the world as i got it discounted in the first place

So perhaps the Muddy Knutz fender (fat specific) is the one you need?

Northwind

I made my own muddy nutz style mudguard, bit bigger than their fatbike one- I’m a big fan of these for normal bikes but it didn’t cut it at all on the fatbike. Maybe with a downtube guard as well, but fitting 2 mudguards seems like an admission of failure really.

zippykona

Most mudguards don’t protrude forwards far enough.
    My back still gets plastered , my front remains pretty much mud free from my knees up.

epicyclo

zippykona – Member
    Most mudguards don’t protrude forwards far enough.

My summer bike.

A shield like that cuts out all the grit and muck that gets thrown forward and then comes back and gets in your face and eyes. If you cut it very close it is extremely effective.*

If it’s wet I’ll stick on a downtube protector.

I made it from the plastic hanger used to hold an On-One Floater tyre.

I have also made one out of duct tape, but this is more durable.

*You may notice 3 small holes in it. I have slotted down from them to the tyre. This means that if a branch or rock gets picked up it won’t jam the tyre.

jeff1155

MuckyNutz fat front and fat gut fender work great on my Dune – no face splatter and only a bit on my shins. The gut doesn’t sit quite right due to the downtube lugs/cables, but it works fine.

Ass Saver rear on the other hand – my waist pack in particular still get plastered, if not ‘yo ass, and the seat tube covered in sheep doo (I remember just after I’ve grabbed it to shift the rear tyre out of a gate’s way) so still looking for an effective rear mudguard.

NormalMan

I think it depends on how much coverage/protection you are after.

I wanted to avoid the soggy bottom feeling! So fitted the mucky nutz ass saver type. As mentioned above, my backpack gets a coating but I have avoided the soggy bottom so it has worked for me.

With the front I have the fat front XL. Again I just wanted to avoid being hit in the mouth by mud (or worse) and that has been fine.

My legs get dirty etc but then I’m out riding in wet and muddy conditions so just kind of accept that.

dovebiker

I have the Muckynutz face fender XL and BBB downtube guard (same as PDW Mudshovel but cheaper) on the front and a rear guard on the back. A lot of my riding is 12hrs+ all year – riding lots of waterlogged bridleways, towpaths and getting plastered in cr@p goes a long way with staying comfortable on long rides (I once got a dose of crypto-spiridium after riding through farmyard slurry). My bottom bracket bearings also last a lot longer not getting a constant shower of muddy water.

epicyclo

dovebiker – Member
    …My bottom bracket bearings also last a lot longer not getting a constant shower of muddy water.

The ISIS BB on my Pugsley is now 5 years old and still perfect and it sees a lot of muddy/boggy trails.

With the full mudguards I rarely get any muck above my knees.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Fat bike rigid fork mudguard’ is closed to new replies.