Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Fat bike riders. where you been…….?
  • ton

on you fat bike.

up a mountain, on big beaches, anywhere hard to get to.

all location idea’s greatly appreciated.

Squirrel

Saunton beach (Devon) and the dunes behind it.

scotroutes

Cairngorm

MrTricky
    Free Member

GR70 in France (the ‘Stevenson’ route)- lovely touring route. Saw lots of donkeys. Snow, bikeparks, boggy bits of Scotland too. It/they’ve even commuted to work, which is around 18 miles each way on mixed surfaces.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Highlight of my fat bike’s history was a ~75 mile loop from Warminster train station in Nov ’17, up and down a few popular hills on the southern and western side of the Mendips and then back to Longleat Center Parcs on the first day of our stay.

On 29er wheels and 2.35″ G One Speeds.

Northwind

Pretty much nowhere I haven’t been on a thin bike tbh, been on the beach literally 3 times in the 5 years I’ve had mine. It’s a mountain bike so I just do mountain biking on it like anything else. Having said that I think it’s done about 95% of all the riding in this weekend’s EWS round so that’s probably a bit exotic for a fatty

remedyflyer
    Free Member

Highlight of my Fat bike was the winter 2017/into 2018 virgin snow up on the Cotswolds above Cheltenham and Gloucester then the bike was amazing normally use it in the mud of winter mind when the snow got compacted by walkers that got a bit hairy.

dovebiker

Sanna Bay

Took the ferry from Tobermory to Kilchoan, rode across to Sanna, along the beach and took the coast track to Portuairk then back to Kilchoan.

ElShalimo

@ton – every time it snows I see some up on Marsden Moor, Standedge Trail and the bridleway over to White Hill and even over to Blackstone Edge

If you can get on t’Moors you’re going to have a good day out

Edit: I saw a couple above Langsett last Xmas in the snow heading towards Cut Gate. It looked much more fun than walking

rOcKeTdOg

On fat bike specific beaches
    fat bikes only

Summits
    worcs beacon

And your Moma
    fat like yo moma

swavis

I took mine down the Fort William DH track as part of the opening ceremony for the Mountain Festival one year, that was fun 😁

Northwind

I still want to do that- though the new stone section in the woods would be pretty sketchy I think.

ton

it has been a long tome since i was excited about getting a mtb. i have to be honest and sayi had fallen out of love with it. but the ride with scotroutes up to loch eanaich has reignited my offroad interest.
    looking forward to a winter of exploring.

40mpg

Where they should go. Hopefully again in jan 22.

sandboy

Mine gets used quite often, along the local river bank it’s the perfect bike for a bimble and I love to ride the north Norfolk coastline with long stretches of endless beach, dunes and marsh as well as a number of very nice pubs.

sweepy
    Free Member

in the snow

Out in the snow- I thought it was feeling a bit sluggish

kayak23

As Northwind says, anywhere a mountain bike goes. It’s not about finding terrain that suits it, it’s about it making you smile wherever you ride it.

Today was here.

sandboy

^^^ so true. It’s just bike riding. It doesn’t matter what you’re riding, just being out riding a bike. Thinking about it, the fatty makes me smile the most.

Northwind

ton
    Free Member

it has been a long tome since i was excited about getting a mtb

I parked mine up for most of a year- no particular reason, I just happened to never take it out- and I’d kind of forgotten what it really does best for me, which is variety. I’ve got fairly good riding from my door but not a huge amount of it, and riding the exact same trails on the fatbike can really feel like riding a different trail. Through lockdown that was just… amazing. It made old stuff exciting again.

rOcKeTdOg

snow22

2nd8-2

IMG_20201228_150012_883

LAT

I recently moved house. this will be my first winter in 5 years without a fat bike.

I used to live in Whitehorse in The Yukon. not the snowiest place in canada, but once it falls it is on the ground for 6 months.

the local mountain bike club/association organized the many small trail grooming efforts into a large coordinated one. they have modified narrow-track snowmobiles that pull custom made grooming devices. last winter the trails were incredible.

it’s bloody cold, but there is nothing like speeding through a snowy forest on a beautifully setup fat bike trail. i’d go so far as to suggest, pandemic aside, seeking out such an experience.

richardthird

Just put Minion FBF 4.8 up front so all ready now for a winter of beer and firewood lugging through the South Downs mire, great fun.

Did 10 days bike packing in Scotland in May. Thought there would be loads of ’em up there, nope, ours were the only 2 we saw. Charging down the WHW into FW was a highlight.

Did some guided Alpine riding out of Briancon t’other year, uplift and natural, was bloody awesome! Guide didn’t reckon too much though as a faff onto his trailer, oh well.

EVERYwhere you go everybody loves a fat bike.

epicyclo

Been waiting for a decent (i.e. truly horrible) winter.

For most of the things I use a fat bike for, 3″ tyres do the job for 3 seasons.

Superficial
    Free Member

Except on an MTB forum 😛

boltonjon

Still use mine for 90% of my biking

Live near Swinley and my 160mm Geometron is completely wasted

Do lots of epic day rides and a fair amount of bike packing so my fatty is the perfect machine for it

Been riding them since 2013 and still really enjoy it

monkeyboyjc

Most recently….

Windhill

roverpig

Took mine to loch eanaich once, that was fun 🙂

I don’t have mine anymore although often regret that and the simple answer is everywhere. There weren’t any rides that I’ve done on a “normal” bike that I wouldn’t take the fat bike (but then I’m not that gnarly) and it went places other bikes wouldn’t.

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

Like many others here I would vote for everywhere but the funniest thing for me was that everywhere you went someone would talk to you about the bike.

Don’t get the same on a mountain bike for sure 🙂

James

Northwind

richardthird

The difference it makes to responses from walkers is crazy, the exact same people who glower at you as a Mountain Biker want to talk to you as a Fatbike Weirdo.

I reckon you could track the curve of fatbike mainstreamness by this as well, there was a spell 2 or 3 years ago where we were obviously getting a bit normal. Now we’re back to being weirdos

scotroutes

The easiest way to stop randoms commenting on the size of your tyres is to fit Pogies.

ton

it landed earlier. it is big.

scotroutes

Woohoo!

(Or should that be Wo hoo?)

zippykona

null
    Nowhere too muddy ,they are lethal in the mud.
    Mine is now tucked up for winter.
    However it did give me a fantastic weeks riding in Cornwall.

rockandrollmark

So far – all the same places as my trail bike. I bought mine as a winter hack to save the wear posher components and linkages. I might go and ride it in the snow / on a beach one day just to prove I can.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Always out on my fatty, during the summer I was riding with my kid on his baby fatty, now the weather’s turning ill be out every Sunday ripping up the Surrey hills againfatty summer

ElShalimo

@ton – c’mon we need photos !

scotroutes

@ElShalimo – there is a noon embargo on the photos, but they’ve broken early on Bearbones. I’d post a link here but the mods would only take it down.

J-R

I ride it when it’s wet and slippery, but not heavy mud because it’s a real handful then, all over the Surrey Hills. I have done a few beach rides on the south coast and always take it out on the handful of days we get snow.

Here’s Sunday’s ride, with a few pictures:
    Muddy Moles Reigate loop

sandboy

@ton – c’mon we need photos

If you’re on Facebook, there’s a pic on the UK fatbike page. Love the colour ton!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Fat bike riders. where you been…….?’ is closed to new replies.