Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fastest wifi solution via wireless?
  • breninbeener

My daughter has a super stressy job and a totally chaotic alcoholic mother. Her release from this is gaming. She has a PS5 and the equivqlent spec Xbox.

She lives in hospital accom, so cqnt run a landline in (i dont think) so she can fibrespeed access.

So, whats the fastest internet she can get for gaming? And how is she going to get it? She doesnt mind paying or a 12 month contract.

Any advice or obs greatly received

Ian

5lab

Got gaming the concern isn’t speed but latency. Afaik mobile networks are terrible for latency, so they might be a writeoff

bentandbroken

Find the best Mobile Phone signal from one of the four carriers who are; Vodaphone, EE, O2 and Three.

Do this by checking with friends/colleagues who live ‘next door’ or via the online cover maps;
    Vodaphone Cover
    O2
    EE
    Three

Remember they are only predictions. Some will give an indication of indoor and outdoor signal quality.

IF (and I mean IF) one of them tells you there is good indoor 4G or 5G cover, then mobile broadband is the way to go. Either tether to a phone or get a 5G router and insert a SIM card from the relevant provider and create a local Wifi network.

To save money remember that all four providers are the most expensive way if you buy direct. Once yo know the best network, go to this Wiki Page to find to who resells the provider that gives the best signal.

NOTE Not all resellers include the fastest options (i.e TalkMobile who resell Vodaphone, do not support 5g yet)

Finally, you need to understand how much data she will be using which is difficult to predict to start with. VOXI, GiffGaff and Smarty all offer monthly contracts with a lot of data at a very competitive price. So if it is suitable, pick one of those and then tweak the data allowance over the first couple of months until you get the balance between price and allowance right.

Cougar

She lives in hospital accom, so cqnt run a landline in (i dont think) so she can fibrespeed access.

So, whats the fastest internet she can get for gaming?

You need to ascertain exactly what she can and can’t run rather than guessing, otherwise all you’re going to get in reply is more guesswork. (Also, no offence but I’ve no clue what the second half of that first sentence is supposed to mean.) The accommodation itself would presumably know?

Often in spaces like that, there’s already an Internet connection shared throughout the building. What does she have already?

bentandbroken

5lab has a good point, but if it is the only option then a good/excellent 5G signal indoors will be OK to Very Good.

ta11pau1

If there’s 5G coverage that’ll be the way to go. If it’s for online FPS gaming etc then 4G ping might not be the best, but 5G should be fine.

example of what you can get if you have decent 5G signal.

leffeboy

4G ping might not be the best, but 5G should be fine.

Good point. Was that not one of the improvements that 5g was actually meant to give.  Maybe you need to hunt for a 5g provider

ta11pau1

Yep, see above. For some reason 5g ping if you’re in the North of the country is around 29-30ms, in the south it’s 5-15ms. Not sure why a regional find works affect it. But I get sub 10ms ping a good amount of the time.

jeffl

For reference my Zen FTTC gives me a ping of 19ms, which I’ve always thought is pretty good. So the 5G is impressive.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

For some reason 5g ping if you’re in the North of the country is around 29-30ms, in the south it’s 5-15ms. Not sure why a regional find works affect it

I guess its the air. Same reason our road improvements take twice as long, our buses only turn up half as often, our trains are twice as delayed and so on.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.