Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fastest cassette wear…?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What’s the fastest cassette wear anyone knows of? As in amount of miles before it’s worn out/skips with a new chain? I’m especially interested in ebikes here.

Just doing a bit of research! 🙂

aP
    Free Member

Over two muddy and gritty CX races in the late 90s.  New chain and cassette completely shagged in about 20 miles.

jamesoz

Under 100 miles to ruin an XT 11speed cassette.

I blame single speeding as the bike shop said it looked like I’d been climbing in the smaller sprockets, went to a 36 tooth up front for a while To stop it.

tjagain

My ebike is still on its same chain after 2 years including two winters commuting 2000+_ miles and its still not worn to 1% – but its an alfine hub and putoline lubed.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Not an e-bike – but:

3 weeks vacation close to the beach. This kind of sand killed the whole drive train in these three weeks. No idea how this translates to miles so. Not many so.

Where I live, mtb mud biking: luckily the mud isn’t very hard on the bikes here. Kills BB’s quick but cassette lasts in mud biking maybe around 300 miles?

Dry conditions nearly 800 miles? Don’t see a difference with the money tag for the cassettes. But crappy chains make a difference. For the chains I pick original Shimano stuff.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Hmmmmm that’s a tricky question to answer. Riding off road through the higher torque winter months I get through a chain every 5 to 6 weeks ish swapping out at .75% wear probably getting around 500 to 600 miles per chain. Doing this keeps my GX 11 speed cassettes alive for around 4000 miles of use . If I didn’t  change the chains  I’d guess I’d only get to about the 1000 mile mark maybe more before seeing issues,when I’ve done this in the past first thing I encountered showing up was was  chain suck at front ring.

eBike drivetrains must take a higher torque hammering through every  pedal stroke  so must surely wear  a lot quicker .

cynic-al
    Free Member

“killed”, “worn out” etc is pretty meaningless without % wear quoted

jamesoz

I’d love to know how you measure %cassette wear. I go by skipping chain and visible damage.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I mean chain wear  Measure it, there are many devices available, a ruler works too. There are devices for measuring sprockets too .

I only say that as I’ve seen transmissions work fine at say 3% wear, other fail at 1%

It’s down to how they have been worn and how the are ridden I think.

So there are lots of variables .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fastest cassette wear…?’ is closed to new replies.