Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • fastest 29er mtb tyre for commuting ?
  • jacob46
    Free Member

just ordered some new hope flow rims for off road and need some commuting tyres for original rims for commuting. loads of 26’s on chain reaction but 29’s??

gogg
    Free Member

Chunky or hybrid??

jacob46
    Free Member

ermm chunky I spose!

thomthumb
    Free Member

smart sam?

steezysix
    Free Member

Don’t forget you can use 700c tyres as well. Things like Conti Contacts, Schwalbe Marathons, etc, will be way better if they’re going to be a dedicated commuting wheelset.

Northwind

I really like my Schwalbe Kojaks, fast and light but still with a bit of puncture protection (never flatted on my old 26s, just swapped to 700c version so not sure if it’s as good) Not too expensive from bikediscount.

ratherbeintobago

Things like Conti Contacts, Schwalbe Marathons, etc, will be way better if they’re going to be a dedicated commuting wheelset.

This. Also various forms of Michelin Pilot.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Google for 28″ tyres, 29er rims are 700c rims with 2″ tyres to make them ~29″. So smaller/slicker tyres are labled as 28″ with the same 622mm insisde rim diameter.

Be carefull, because in old money there was a 28″ wheel size (god knows why) to compliment the 27″ wheel size which was common before the nearly identical 700c took over. And it’s still possible to get tyres for those which have a 635mm inside rim dimaeter!

Just wait untill 36″ wheels become popular (they exist) and then 30″ (the old 28″ with a bigger tyre) becomes the new 650b.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

halo twin rail i’d get.

midlifecrashes

How about Schwalbe Big Apple, great unless you head into the very slimy stuff. Wide and slick. If it’s out and out speed tough, shouldn’t you just put some standard roadie tyres on?

jacob46
    Free Member

my journey is tarmac and pavement 8.5 miles. been using maxxis crossmarks for 12 months but now ive bought some new rims I can pick the best tyre for commuting. never had slicks or “roadie tyres” before so don’t know what im buying.

thomthumb
    Free Member

get some scwalbe marathons – marathon racers if you don’t see much glass, marathon plus if you see lots.

i like 28c but on a mtb you might want 35c.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathons (35) here on some 29er XT wheels on my bit of everything bike. Quick enough but not too harsh.

Sam

Vittoria Corsa Evo CX…

daveh
    Free Member

I’m on 35c Landcruisers, but they go up to 28×1.75 iirc. Theyve got a continuous central rib so roll pretty well.

IA

+1 on the marathons.

seanthesheap
    Free Member

Super moto’s if you are loaded, big apples if on a budget. Super moto’s on wide rims are fantastic.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Kenda Small Block 8’s.

Im running 700c x 32 on mine.

jacob46
    Free Member

Let me get this right!

If I go onto crc website to order sum tyres and click on 700 size. They will fit my 29Er rims??

scotroutes

Yes. The rims are the same diameter. The only issue you might hit is that narrow 700c tyres could be too narrow for your rims. Flows are wide rims so stick to 32mm and up and you should be fine. FWIW, 32mm is also 1 1/4″. Some tyres might come in that mix of metric and imperial.

jacob46
    Free Member

Thanks for that scotroutes. I’ve got a specialized Carve Pro 29Er HT. Just ordered some new wheels,rotors,cassette and now I change over quicker for commutting and weekend playing.

scotroutes

If the original Carve Pro rims are slimmer than the Flows then you might get away with a 28mm tyre. You’ll certainly notice that it is “faster” but there’s no harm in going up to 32mm or so or a bit of added comfort if you are on potholed roads.

johnnystorm

I’ve just swapped out a pair of 2.2 twin rails for some Vittoria 700×37 Randonneurs from PX. They’re about half the weight, no less comfy on the road and shaved about 5 mins off my 10 mile commute! Reflective sidewalls too. 🙂 £15 each for folders iirc.

jacob46
    Free Member

Look ok for the money!

Continental Sport Contact City Road Bike Tyre.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/continental-sport-contact-city-road-bike-tyre/rp-prod18828

jacob46
    Free Member

So many options!

32,35,37c ??

I suppose 37 for comfort or 32 for speed. Can’t be much in it thou.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve used sport contacts for commuting, they’re a propper roadie tyre but in a big size, which makes them super quick, and theres no tread to squirm arround on the road. But probably not as puncture proof as say schwalbe marathons (still yet to puncture mine though, but I expect it’ll be more than the never some tyres manage).

Go as wide as you can, it makes minimal difference to speed and will be comfortable and less prone to pinch punctures. On a scale of 1-10 for speed, if a downhil tyre is a ‘1’, an XC tyre is a ‘4’, those in their widest size will be at least a ‘9’ relative to a out and out race tyre at ’10’.

Paceman
    Free Member

Maxxis Crossmarks work well for me at 50psi.

jacob46
    Free Member

Paceman – Member
    Maxxis Crossmarks work well for me at 50psi.

Crossmarks are great if you only have one set of wheels. Next week I’ll have 2 sets so I mite as well make my journey even easier by having the fastest tyre which by the looks of it is the sport contacts.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘fastest 29er mtb tyre for commuting ?’ is closed to new replies.