Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • faster payments and bacs
  • toys19
    Free Member

I have received a payment, I’m not sure if it was via FPS or bacs, but anyway, can this be reclaimed? I am a bit worried it is a ruse..

kcal

It might be possible to reclaim it I guess; were you expecting the payment?

What makes you think it /might/ be reclaimed?

toys19
    Free Member

I was expecting it, its is from a legitimate business and is in line with what they owe me.
    But they have a history of being tricksters with me, there is a deadline tomorrow and they paid it in today. If I do not respond to this deadline then the regulatory body assumes there is no case/claim and I cannot pursue it. So in theory if they reclaim the day after tomorrow I might be a bit swizzled..

There are reasons why I need to be a bit cryptic..

Anyway I do not wish to be rude, but given your reply:

It might be possible to reclaim it I guess

it appears you know as much as I about banking transfer rules, ie, nothing. I am equally capable of guessing that it might be possible, hence the worry/question..

So I can assume you just here for the conversation? Wot sort of bike do you ride then? Is it raining there?

nealglover
    Free Member

Unless things have changed recently, it can be recalled by the senders bank within 24 hours of it being sent.

toys19
    Free Member

Unless things have changed recently, it can be recalled by the senders bank within 24 hours of it being sent.

Cheers for that, I have done some more detailed searching and this below looks contradictory to yours. I wonder if you have a link to something that might say this/confirm it?

I looked here: http://www.fasterpayments.org.uk/
    but nada about refunds that I could find. Googleing does not bring much.
    But
    Natwest says no:

Single Immediate Payments made via the Faster Payments Service will be sent in near real-time and therefore cannot be recalled or cancelled.

and barclays say

Q11. Can a payment sent via Faster Payments Service be stopped once made?

Faster payments cannot be stopped once you have confirmed your instructions.

Q12. How can I recover money sent via the Faster Payment Service?

You will need to apply directly to the recipient for a refund as the funds will already have been received by them.

Hmm feeling a bit more confident now..

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Phone your bank and ask them?

nealglover
    Free Member

Just checked my emails, the info I posted was for BACS payments and was from NatWest.

And it was only 6 months ago so more than likely still relevant.

toys19
    Free Member

peidi, my bank are scum and will not let me phone them, all comms via a messaging system. Which they have not responded too yet, and on past form they probs will not reply until after the fact.

nealglover cheers – looks like I shall ahve to wait for my banks response.

Rio

Talk to your bank. Bear in mind that you haven’t actually “received” the payment until the funds are available for withdrawal. Once it has been received then as I understand it your bank can only reclaim it if they made an error. If the person paying it wants it back, even if they made a mistake, then they have to claim it from you.

Disclaimer – I used to work for BACS a long time ago and things may have changed since!

nickjb
    Free Member

But they have a history of being tricksters with me, there is a deadline tomorrow and they paid it in today. If I do not respond to this deadline then the regulatory body assumes there is no case/claim and I cannot pursue it.

Can you continue with the claim (whatever it is) stating that you still do not have cleared funds at this time and then drop the claim once you actually have the money for sure?

toys19
    Free Member

Can you continue with the claim (whatever it is) stating that you still do not have cleared funds at this time and then drop the claim once you actually have the money for sure?

I guess it is about knowing the legal definition of paid or not.
    To be clear the payment was made yesterday, so I reckon if doesn’t bounce by 4pm tomorrow then all is good.

Anyway this is now moot as I have since spoken to the regulatory body and there are two points which put me in the ascendancy:

1) If they take the money back then the actual deadline is moved to be a large number of days from when they take it back, essentially it becomes a new issue.
    2) If they did do this then the regulatory body would take a v dim view and things go better fro me anyway.

So thanks for the input kids, but I’m all good now.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘faster payments and bacs’ is closed to new replies.