• This topic has 27 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Earl.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Faster 2.6 tire out there …… ?
  • jeb

Hello

looking for a faster, lighter 2.6 tire, riding mainly flatter singletrack….. bike setup, is a Pivot mach 6, 155mm frame, 170 mm fork …..
    If you have fx have a link to a test with rolling resistance, watt etc would be great!

Thanks

chiefgrooveguru

Lighter and faster than what?

davewalsh
    Free Member

On my Soul at the moment I’m running a DHF front and Conti Cross-King rear. I find this a nice fast combo without it being too flimsy. Prior to this I had an Ardent Race on the back and although the Conti is heavier, it definitely rolls faster.

whitestone
    Free Member

Vittoria Mezcal? Fast rolling but not sure if it’s light as it’s the only 2.6″ tyre I have used. Definitely a dry weather tyre though – or quite exciting in mud!

jeb

I have not ridden a 2.6 before, but it was just getting some feedback about a lighter tire…. i rather sacrifice some grip, to get a lighter tire, faster rolling….

chiefgrooveguru

But what rear tyre do you have now?

kelvin

Maxxis Rekon Plus 2.8 in use on the rear of my bike on dry trails … it’s really a 2.6 … light and fast. Well, much less slow than the 2.6 tyres I tried. Less tread, but plenty of volume.

BearBack
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if bicycle rolling resistance have done anything beyond full fat for resistance measurements.
    Once you come off race tires the interest of rolling resistance numbers for these mid fats/chubby/slight portly 2.6-2.8 tyres is largely lost for most.

As above though, the 2.6 cross king doesn’t feel like a penalty over much of the knobbier 2.4/2.5 rubber.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If weight is your driver, and you ride flat singletrack, stick to 2.3 or thereabouts.

Northwind

Bugs me that none of the big names do a semi-slick, I’d be all over a 2.6 rock razor…

I liked the Cross King but after maybe 5 or 6 rides I discovered it’d lost some knobs and when they ripped off they tore right back to the carcass. Warrantied it without fuss, tbh I think I was just using it in a way conti didn’t intend it to be (on the back of an enduro bike), shame though as I liked it up til that point.

Northwind

Oh, so there is! I need 29er but if I was the OP that’s what I’d get.

mmannerr

Spec Ground Control 2.6” is a nice balance between good grip and low rolling resistance.
    Ikon 2.6” id available too.

scaredypants

rekon here, too. 2.6 F&R, come up 2.5 on a 35mm rim

filks

Had a Rekon 2.6 out back. Fast rolling but no grip on anything other than hardpack. Found it too scary and changed it sharpish

excalibur

Another shout for the Conti Cross King (22.5×2.6). Rolls well and true to size meaning it didn’t really fit in my rear stays. So selling on after one ride out! PM me if interested.

cookci
    Free Member

Currently running 29 ×2.6 rekon max tera front and 29 2.6 ikon max speed

Rolling resistance isn’t particularly amazing tbh however grip on the other hand is pretty good so it’s a good compromise overall

I’d be interested to try a 2.6 semi slick also

I wonder if the forkaster 2.6 max speed would run any faster on the front

excalibur

I’m running a Forekaster rear now as it fits better at just under 2.5 inches which is grippier (better braking) but a fair bit slower than the Conti CK I tried.

chiefgrooveguru

I just don’t understand why you’d want a 2.6” tyre for riding flatter singletrack when you have 155mm of rear suspension. Steep and loose trails, sure, flatter trails on a hardtail, fine, but together it really doesn’t make sense.

hols2
    Free Member

Ikon, Tail Boss, Hans Dampf

matt_outandabout

Steep and loose trails, sure, flatter trails on a hardtail, fine, but together it really doesn’t make sense.

I agree.

We’ve a 6Fattie in the house. We’ve tried some (half worn) Trail Boss 2.6’s on and when things get more challenging its a bit too space hopper. It’s slow on flat. Noticeably a touch harder to pedal.
    Pop some 2.4 Der Barons on front and rear and the thing is an absolute monster truck of grip and controllable. Yet not noticeably draggy.

matt_outandabout

Oh – my theory is in the larger tyre is as much about sidewalls as compound, and that pressures are mega sensitive.

Kuco

The Purgatory and Butcher tyres that came with my stock with my Specialized seems to roll pretty quick.

jeb

Hello !

My tire setup is :

Continental 2.3 cross king protection front

Schwalbe nobby nic 2.35 rear

chiefgrooveguru

“Continental 2.3 cross king protection front

Schwalbe nobby nic 2.35 rear”

Swap them around! The Nobby Nic has more grip, the X-King rolls faster. They’re very light and fast tyres for a Mach 6 but if you haven’t been crashing on every turn or pinch-flatting them then they work for you. But they’ll be much better swapped around.

I’m assuming they’re decent compounds and not the el cheapo plastic ones!

Earl
    Free Member

Just replaced a 2.3 ground control grid with a 2.6 slaughter grid. Much much faster up/flat/down despite 200g extra.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Faster 2.6 tire out there …… ?’ is closed to new replies.