FAST single track rocket . your suggestions.

Home Forum Bike Forum FAST single track rocket . your suggestions.

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • FAST single track rocket . your suggestions.
  • Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Specialized Epic, Scott Spark, Trek Fuel (whatever their XC race one is called), Giant Anthem etc
    You want a proper XC race FS. Although all the above are marketed as that they’re all very capable all-round trail/enduro bikes as well.

harley

Trek Fuel? Got myself one – nice and light and fast as fook. Or the Top fuel for XC racey-ness.

corroded

I want to thrash along smooth twisty jumpy bermy single track at about 100mph,

Hardtail? My RM Blizzard does the job brilliantly.

sofatester

I want to thrash along smooth twisty jumpy bermy single track at about 100mph

😆

Spesh Epic Evo.

twedspeed

Cheers , quite fancy epic & anthem – both very good reviews , my last couple of rides have been 150 mm travel (whyte 46 & Enduro SL )am looking forward to going down to 120 or less travel, will be interesting and hopefully improve my riding skill as I wont be rellying on long suss to bail me out –
    and I can keep my enduro for big hit days.-

druidh

Yeti 575, or an ASR5 with 120mm forks.

Get rid of the bouncy behind, you’ll experience a whole new type of riding on singletrack.

twedspeed

Hardtail !!! – maybee next year . deffo easier on the pocket – if not the spine,

dickie

Canyon Lux – carbon, light, good spec, good price, as Anthem geometry but a degree slacker head angle.

Canyon Lux Full Build
    Canyon Lux

twedspeed

Hi I ride a 07 Spesh Enduro S.L. carbon , most of the time –

However I would like a second bike thats a bit more frisky – quicker – lighter – not full on XC but close – nimble – agile – fast as ****.

I,ve had a good look at a Mojo SL & a Lapiere zesty 714 –
    I want to thrash along smooth twisty jumpy bermy single track at about 100mph,
    Can you think of anything I havent considered ?
    Must be Sub 25 lb – Full suss – Decent BB height – capable of taking the odd jump in its stride – I ride dalby frequently , and like its smooth fast nature.

Premier Icon ssboggy
    Subscriber

Santa Cruz Tallboy according to What MTB

nicolaisam

Nicolai AC.Or AC 29er

Give Me Strength.

AnthemX. There is no choice 🙂 I saw one today and fell in love. 8)

steve_b77

A nice HT for fast single track’ness need a pretty steep HA (69 – 70’ish) IMHO for fast swoopy stuff

_tom_

Another vote for hardtail – if you want lively, responsive and lighter then that’ll work perfectly for it. Maybe even go fully rigid if you want the “whippiest” of rides! FS seems so unnecessary for xc/singletrack things unless you have back/arse problems.

You can also pump the trail more efficiently on a hardtail!

don simon

Merida 0.NINE, good enough for Hermida, good enough for you. 😉

GaryLake

Orange ST4 – just test one, honestly.

santa cruz superlight!

Klein Attitude or Adroit.

tron

100mph? KTM?

vdubber67

dickie – Member

Canyon Lux – carbon, light, good spec, good price, as Anthem geometry but a degree slacker head angle.

Canyon Lux Full Build
    Canyon Lux

Dickie – have you got a Canyon Lux I take it? Be interested in your thoughts as I’ve been considering one for racing on next season.

rtedgeAThotmail.com

Ta

Rich

Premier Icon Pawsy_Bear
    Subscriber

Zesty 714. Carbon light, effective and relentlessly fast. TBH I just like the ride because it feels responsive, engaging and great down hill. I ride all the trail centers south Wales at least one a week and hit the Brecon National park area for natural trails. This week in 7 days about 100 miles two epics in Wales and Afan. Bike never put a foot wrong. Not bad.

Premier Icon gonetothehills
    Subscriber

+2 for the Anthem X… plus it’ll do everything else for you too. Stick a longer fork and wider bars on it, and it’s all you’ll need.

dickie

@Vdubber67 – no I don’t have one. Saw the review in What MTB? & looked them up online.
    I think compared to a Giant/Spesh/Scott etc in either a carbon frameset or full build they appear great value.
    I think the frame comes out about £1k where a Giant Anthem Advanced is £2.5k, & the full builds come with Mavic SLR’s & XTR for a whole lot less than equivelent main stream bikes.

stooo

+1 for santa cruz superlight.

Ridden mine for first time today, around some pretty techy stuff in Innerleithen… previous bikes include Trek Fuel EX (which the SL is replacing), MSC Zion, Intense 5.5. and 6.6… and others. Also currently have a SC Bullit.

Really very impressed with the SL. Got 120mm bolt through forks on the front so it’s pretty tough but still around 25lb. Superb fun on singletrack. Rockets up hill and really inspiringly fast on the way down. Loved it.

sputnik

Finished the build yesterday and took my new singletrack rocket ( Yeti AS-R SL) earliy this morning for a ride.
    I am still grinning 😀

geetee1972

Another vote for a hardtail here especially a titanium one. It would complement the full suss very well and make you a better rider overall. After flat pedals and wide bars learning to ride a hardtail again has done my bike riding skills the world of good.

PJM1974

Marin Wolf Ridge. I’ve got a 2004 Enduro and have ridden every model since, but the Marin is a seriously fun machine.

Pipe and beard optional.

twedspeed

Dikkie , thanx for the heads up on the nikolai , I,d never heard of them ,Spec wise theyre givin em away – and am I mistaken or is that 21 kg, !!!
    Anthem frame sounds good – Is it the same frame across the range ?? I.E. if I picked up a used X4 on e-bay , is that the same frame as on a X1 ?? ,
    Coz if it is thats a good platform to start upgrading.
    Finally – Tom & Steve – Now youve gone and got me thinking seriously about a HT now ….
    …..mmmmmm 3 bikes ……3 bikes…….3 ….I could have 3 bikes.

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

you’ve already got a lightish bouncy bike that pedals well and has xc-ish geometry, and you say you want something different?

don’t get a slightly lighter bouncy bike that pedals well and has xc-ish geometry.

get a hardtail, it’s different.

try a razor sharp aluminium xc-race bike, then a long travel skinny steel something or other.

trying things is fun!

(however, if you want a lapierre 714 or a giant trance because you think they’re really nice, then yes, they are, get one. But they’re not really very much different to an enduro – don’t argue, they’re not.)

twedspeed

OOOPS I MEANT 21 LBS 😳

twedspeed

Ahwiles , I couldnt agree more and in the last 24 hrs since joining this forum my mind is now completely ****** , am gonna have to spend a long time demmo,ing difrent stuff – fortunately my mate has a cove stiffee thats quite well specked so I,ll try and get a long lend of that – thanks to all who contributed – post now closed due to my head exploding.

sofatester

post now closed due to my head exploding

Only the MODS can close threads.

For you sir the nightmare has just begun!

khani

The perfect singlrtrack rocket = cotic soul
    sorry

vdubber67

ahwiles – Member

you’ve already got a lightish bouncy bike that pedals well and has xc-ish geometry, and you say you want something different?

Blimey – I wouldn’t have said that sort of geometry was anything near ‘xc’. 150mm travel, and Spesh billed it as an ‘All Mountain’ bike?

catnash

Going to sell my Enduro SL frame+Fork, ordered a Stumpie fsr. Perfect for Brechfa. Up-down across. The Stumpie will have a hard act to follow.

Premier Icon gothandy
    Subscriber

Not sure if Cwmcarn is the kind of trial you like, it is certainly smooth twisty jumpy bermy single track in places at least.

Fastest time I’ve done that (2 laps) is 55 mins each, and to me at least that felt ****ing fast.

That’s on a tallboy.

xanboy

Trek Top Fuel 9.8 here and it is very fast and having ridden it at trail centres it is more than capable on most stuff and bloody fast in a lot of places a longer travel bike isn’t

Morewood Zula. It’s apparently rather good 😀

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Specialized Epic, Scott Spark, Trek Fuel (whatever their XC race one is called), Giant Anthem etc
    You want a proper XC race FS. Although all the above are marketed as that they’re all very capable all-round trail/enduro bikes as well.

This.

The new Epic Evo looks good, although it’s more expensive than the Comp Carbon, I reckon I’d get the carbon frame one and fit a 120mm fork if you wanted something like that.

Sparks come with 120mm forks, so are a bit slacker, although I’ve found my Top Fuel much more fun as a trail bike than any of the 3 Epics that preceded it despite still only having 100mm forks. In fact, I’ll be selling it in a couple of weeks if you want a 10 month old 21lb FS bike!

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘FAST single track rocket . your suggestions.’ is closed to new replies.