Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Fast rolling tyre with decent side walls?
  • Fat-boy-fat

I know, I know, I know … yet another tyre thread but … here we go.

I’ve been a self confessed Schwalbe fan for many years but I’m looking for recommendations elsewhere. I normally ride with a hans dampf on the front and a nobby nic on the back during winter months. However, having spent the summer this year riding with a super gravity rock razor on the back, I’ve found the switch back to the nobby nic a bit rubbish.

It squirmed around like nobody’s business and gives me zero rim protection. It is inflated tubeless to high 20s psi, so pumping it up isn’t an option.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a rear tyre that is as fast rolling as a nobby nic but with more substantial side walls?

kimbers

Wtb tough casing is proper tough, breakout or trailboss in fast rolling compound.

submarined
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m quite impressed with my Planet X 10 quid tough fast Trail Boss.

Specialized Slaughter is also a good bet. I haven’t had enough time on the Trail Boss to compare them yet

nickc

I’ve had a fast rolling compound Trail boss on all summer and finally gave up on it as the sidewalls are comically unsupportive, gone back to Minions

peteimpreza

Specialized Slaughter in GRID are working for me .

cynic-al
    Free Member

how wide are your rims OP?

stevied
    Free Member

Michelin Force AM is pretty tough sidewalls. Not ridden in anger yet but looks fast..

dreednya

Bontrager SE3 is fast rolling and has the enduro casing for the sidewalls and doesn’t weigh a ton either.  Great on the rear and I know a local rider who likes them front and rear

joebristol

Minion dhr2 or Aggressor in Exo sidewall are both fine for me. Run them at about 25psi in the back and no burping / no apparent rolling about. Both on 25mm internal diameter rims.

Ive been running the aggressor all summer with a dhf on the front with no dramas. I wondered if it was actually that fast rolling until I put the magic Mary dhr2 combo back on for the worse weather and it’s definitely slower rolling. Although it’s much more confidence inspiring on steep / slippery / technical riding for steering and braking.

BadlyWiredDog

Does anyone have any recommendations for a rear tyre that is as fast rolling as a nobby nic but with more substantial side walls?

How about the SG casing Rock Razor? I run one all year round on my hardtail, admittedly mostly in the Peak which is more sludge than proper mud, but the big side-knobs mean it gives you a load more grip than you’d expect when things do get soft. I guess it does depend on where you mostly ride though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Slaughter grid, both gripper and faster than my previous favourite rear, the trail boss.

rascott
    Free Member

Interested in this thread…My T130 RS came with Trail Boss light/fast 2.4 on the rear but I have suffered 2 sidewall cuts that wouldn’t seal in 3 rides.  So ideally I’m after the same tyre in tough/fast or tough/grip in 2.4 width but they seem to be sold out everywhere. 2.25 still available (£15 at Planet X) so maybe I’ll go for that…Vigilante up front is fine so I guess I’d rather not mix brands

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tough fast trail boss will be perfect, but this

I guess I’d rather not mix brands

Is madness.

Fat-boy-fat

To answer one question, 27 mm rim width. I’ve been using a super gravity rock razor during the summer but it doesn’t cut it with the gloop thats just starting to form. I like the idea of the bontrager se4 and the speech slaughter. I will say that I’ve never thought the minion suggested by someone else is a fast rolling tyre … exactly the opposite from previous experience. I’ll have a look at the trail boss tyres recommended by so many as well. Cheers for the thoughts so far.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I was hoping to last out until the new width Vig.& Trail Boss make it into the country developed apparently for i29 rims which just so happen to be fitted to my T130 ..but that looks like being another couple of months away ..and with a comment from one of my mates on Sunday gone along the lines of “..by ..but you have had your moneys worth out of that tyre” ( rear t.b.)..I guess I should buy another ..

2.4 Trail Boss again for me ( if possible)..and I have had no problems with the light fast casing ..

jonostevens
    Free Member

Also experiences similar problems as described above with the 2.4 Trail Boss Light Fast on my Whyte. Replaced with a tough fast 2.25 from Planet X at the £15 price and no problems so far. Seems a lot tougher.

mark90
    Free Member

tough fast 2.25 from Planet X at the £15 price and no problems so far. Seems a lot tougher.

I bought one since they were cheap and I needed a tough fastish rear tyre for some rocky riding. It stood up to Antur Stiniog, Snowdon Ranger descent, and Ard Rock at 26psi. Would use it again for that sort of riding, but for my usual loamy, rooty woods type riding I found it lacking particularly in the side knobs.

Fat-boy-fat

So … just shows I should have done something. Out on a rocky ride today and … wahey … 1.5 inch slash in the tyre wall. Luckily, I was out with Darran from Lavatrax in Tenerife (top man btw, we go recommended) and he sorted me out with a toothpaste tube tyre boot. It’s bulging like my belly through a tight shirt button though.

Any updated thoughts from anyone? SE4 or Spesh slaughter grid seem to be the winners.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve used various Trail Bosses (all tough casing) lots over the last few years, but I’ve finally given up on them now.

As mark90 said, they’re good for rocky stuff but I was fishtailing all over the place in the dust this summer and they don’t offer a lot of braking traction on steep stuff.

Currently gone to the Vigilante tough/fast – which rolls surprisingly well but is quite knobbly – and I’ve just picked up one of the new mk2 Hans Dampf in supergravity casing, which looks really promising.

If you’re already a Schwalbe guy, I’d give that a look?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Another vote for a Bonty SE3

Fat-boy-fat

Cheers for the updates. SE3 and a Hans Dampf. Hmmm

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Fast rolling tyre with decent side walls?’ is closed to new replies.