Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fasst Flex bars for shoulder injuries
  • georgesdad

Does anyone run these weird flexy bars? I’ve got two knackered shoulders with rotator cuff injuries. Four hours at BPW last week has left me in considerable pain. So much so I’m genuinely considering packing it in and becoming a roadie/full time gravel rider. I’ve already got RevGrips which do help a bit. Curious to know if anyone has similar injuries and if/how you’ve got round it? I’m only 41 and I’m not ready to give up MTB just yet 😫

bikedibley

Hey GeorgesDad
    I own the importer (UK) of Fasst Co bars. I’ll let others do the selling (I don’t want to hijack the thread), but if you have any questions please throw them at me. My personal favourite ever component (well…since the dropper seatpost).

gdm4

Dislocated and broke my shoulder in three places a couple of years ago (late 40’s and no strength exercises at that point). I found physio and conditioning worked wonders, got to put the effort in and be disciplined but it did surprise me what a difference it made.

bikesandboots

becoming a roadie/full time gravel rider

Do you know if it’s weight, impacts, vibration, or a combination that’s affecting you? For me they’re all worse on a gravel bike even with big tyres.

georgesdad

It’s more the angle my shoulders are at on the MTB. Riding drop bars my upper arms are by my sides. MTB is that arms out at 90 degrees kind of position. It’s hard to explain. I’ve been having physio for years because of this and it doesn’t really help because it’s the soft tissue of the joints that is damaged, it’s not a muscular or a mobility thing. They won’t get better, just worse ☹️

I’m used to putting up with a certain level of discomfort after a ride but BPW the other week was agony.

dc1988

Have you tried more bars with more backsweep? Bars have got much wider in recent years but backsweep hasn’t increased to compensate so 800mm bars can put your hands in quite an unnatural position

trailmonkey

HAve you pushed for rotator cuff surgery if things are that bad ?

chakaping
    Free Member

Is there a specific type of impact that’s aggravating things?

A coil fork could bring a benefit too, taking away that little jolt as the air shaft overcomes the friction to break away.

georgesdad

Private health insurance likes to push physio because it’s cheap. Had two rounds of injections on each shoulder now so I think that door will slam after the next one and I’ll be looking at surgery then I guess. It’s hard to tell whether it’s the small cumulative knocks or the big impacts, I guess they all add up eventually. 4hrs at BPW is an extreme example for me but even a couple of hours trail riding leaves me sore for a few days. I can cope with the pain after the occasional big day out but I’d like to minimise it on my normal rides if I can. I think I’ll take a punt on the bars, I’ve read every review I can find and they seem to work well. FWIW I run a Factory 36 up front and it’s set up brilliantly. The Revgrips also help, I’ve not had arm pump or numb hands since I had them 18 months ago, I’d recommend them to anyone.

bikesandboots

Worth you going for a long road ride on your MTB, see if that’s painful? Then you’d know to pursue shock absorption vs things like handlebar backsweep.

mudfish

Look into Gyrotonics it’s worked wonders for my painful pain shoulders.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.