Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)
  • [Fashionadvicetrackworld] Belt under or over the rear leather patch on jeans?
  • Premier Icon benp1
    Subscriber

I’ve always wondered this – How are you supposed to thread your belt on a pair of jeans with a leather patch above the rear left pocket? I’m talking about one that stitched top and bottom but open both sides, like a wide belt loop, not the Levi’s one which would require Houdini style skills to get under

I’m currently threading it over but wondering if I’ve got it wrong? Would putting it under be like leaving the label on your suit jacket sleeeve or the sticker on your baseball cap?

Fashionistas of STW, wearers of crocs and lycra, please help me 🙂

It doesn’t matter as no one will see it under your sports jacket?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Don’t you mean suit jacket?

Anyway how old are you as once we get certain age jeans aren’t allowed.

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

Over for me.

Anyway how old are you as once we get certain age jeans aren’t allowed

What age is this? Slightly worried at 45 years old, as I don’t own any other types of trouser*

*apart from my suit trousers, which are exclusively weddings, funerals and job interviews only.

Premier Icon tjagain
    Subscriber

Drac has it. Over 30 – no jeans. do you really want to look like Clarkson?

arcing

..and while you’re at it, start phasing out any bright colours from your wardrobe. You should be aiming for a collection of muted magnolias and mocha brown by the time you’re 50.

kerley

I am 52 and still wearing jeans and look nothing like Clarkson. As long as you are keeping fashionable with shoes and shirts, coats etc,. then jeans look fine.
    Helps if you are also in good shape and don’t have a beer belly but on a cyclist forum being in good shape is a given….

Oh, and belt goes over the leather logo

Premier Icon NewRetroTom
    Subscriber

TJ, can you recommend any suitable slacks for the mature gentleman? Ones which suit someone with a 32″ waist and 34″ leg and big cycling thighs required here.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

but on a cyclist forum being in good shape is a given….

How can we take anything you say seriously after this?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Drac has it. Over 30 – no jeans. do you really want to look like Clarkson?

There you go TJHooker has spoken. Still he has to actually catch you.

Premier Icon swavis
    Subscriber

No jeans over 30? WTAF!?! Bunch of boomers 😆

hols2

You should be aiming for a collection of muted magnolias and mocha brown by the time you’re 50.

Asking for a friend. What’s the correct pronunciation of “mocha” in this context?

Premier Icon tjagain
    Subscriber

tom – beige slacks with an elasticated waist of course!

Premier Icon ads678
    Subscriber

Unless you like being a walking advert, or it has a comedy message, belt over rear patch.

Haven’t seen any like that since the 90s though.

Premier Icon tjagain
    Subscriber

Kerrley – you just described dressing like clarkson!

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

on a cyclist forum being in good shape is a given….

😂

Premier Icon ads678
    Subscriber

Asking for a friend. What’s the correct pronunciation of “mocha” in this context?

Mocha rhymes with  rocker.

Premier Icon Houns
    Subscriber

Under the patch (if can) and if you wear Levi’s tear that extra bit off

Anyone 40+ who wears jeans must iron a crease down the legs

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

According to uncle Jezza, once over 30 one should be buying ones trews from the adverts in the back of the Telegraph Sunday supplement

schrickvr6

If they’ve got a leather patch they’re probably deeply uncool so it doesn’t matter what you do.

gauss1777

Threads like this need pics. It’s all well and good people espousing what others should wear; and even I who have no interest in fashion, am open to advise. But, you do wonder how well people carry off their suggestions.

As to answer the original question, I’d suggest you probably know instinctively. Under, if you want everyone to know what brand of jeans you’re wearing. Over, if you don’t want people to think you’re the former. Whatever, if you don’t care and realise that no one is looking or caring what you wear.

Over.

It could save vital seconds if the emergency services need to cut your strides off.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Remember never dress like a Jeremy.

gauss1777

I don’t see much wrong with that.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

tom – beige slacks with an elasticated waist of course!

It has always amazed me that men of a certain mindset move to beige slacks in their dotage at pretty much the exact age that ‘dribblage’ becomes an increasing problem. The look is particularly strong when a coach load of active oldies in their beige rohans come out of the toilets at a motorway services en mass. Surely this is the very age when a nice heavyweight denim is there to save the day. Or tweed.

Premier Icon wobbliscott
    Subscriber

Jeans and shoes? Never. Boots or cool trainers if you’re Long legged and skinny enough to get away with slim fit jeans (not running shoes. Never. They’re for running).

My Levi’s don’t give you the option on the belt thing so I take from the ten thet it’s belt over.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Or the joke.

gauss1777

Or the joke.

There was a joke?

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

The problem there is not the clothes but the lifestyle proudly displayed around his girth and face. Put the same clothes on a Tom Cruise, a Lenny Kravitz or a Robert Downey jr of a similar age and they would look tip top.

Or are you talking about ‘our’ Jeremy. Of the Ron Hill loving clan?

dashed

I like to show of my “George at Asda” label, so always under for me.

Premier Icon Blackflag
    Subscriber

The Clarkson look has very little to do with his jeans. Its more to do with the patterned shirts and sports jacket. He’d look just as bad in chino’s.

Jeans with a loose fit jumper or standard issue MTB lumberjack shirt look fine at any age.

Merak

Jeans and shoes? Never.

Poppycock. A suitably expensive brown brouge paired with proper selvedge denim is always a good look.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

There was a joke?

Yes.

Or are you talking about ‘our’ Jeremy. Of the Ron Hill loving clan?

Jeremys are like the Borg.

Premier Icon andy4d
    Subscriber

I think you are all missing something. As the top should never be tucked into the jeans no one will see the leather label anyway so it does not matter.

redmex

58 here and only wear certain jeans, zips a definite no no, 501 or next £22 no belt, washed outside in so the fade slowly, 32/32 perfect fit none of the inner shortening and turn ups too artisan for me. Brown boots or Merrell trainers with black t shirt. Scruffy git I am

fasthaggis

Drac has it. Over 30 – no jeans.

TJ and Drac
    ^^^Drac and Teej out for a stroll 🙂 🙂

Tj’s roll model. #bemorelaurence :-p
    roll models

Premier Icon wobbliscott
    Subscriber

Poppycock. A suitably expensive brown brouge paired with proper selvedge denim is always a good look.

Sorry to burst your bubble. I have it on good authority from those in the know about fashion. I’m not fashionable at all but have come across a few fashion snippets like this one. It’s a fashion faux pas.

Now if you have the legs and waist to carry off skinny jeans, which most people over a certain age haven’t, you can get away with it – maybe.

Premier Icon tjagain
    Subscriber

Fast haggis – nope not me. I would never be seen dead in grey loafers

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Socks and sandals?

Obviously there’s no need for a belt at all as we’re all wearing stretch denim these days.

Aren’t we?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.