Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Farewell then, Derwent Walk?
  • neilthewheel

So my new Tory MP, Richard Holden, promised a new rail link between Consett and Tyneside. It seems this means we will have to “share the space” on the Derwent Walk with trains.

https://www.facebook.com/Richard4NWDurham/posts/134753767978597?__tn__=K-R

swedishmetal
    Free Member

Sounds balanced and well considered with evidence to show it’ll be needed, plus emphasis on keeping the cycling route at the same time. Keeps people on bikes, helps them get out of cars and onto trains. Can’t see any negatives, although just because he’s a Tory I am sure a lot of people will find fault. 🙄

Drac

Seems a sensible idea to reopen the old line. They’ve done similar here and in doing so have improved access for walkers and cyclists.

piemonster

Not a lot to go on there, but seems like a good thing from what he’s said.

Where’s the catch?

neilthewheel

The catch is, see where they are standing? That’s the whole width of the old line. How’s this going to be shared between cyclists, walkers and trains? and there’s two more viaducts like that one.

@Drac
    where’s “here” exactly? I’d like to see what’s been done.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Tory doing good for his Parish?

What next, Lyingblohard for PM?

maccruiskeen

So my new Tory MP, Richard Holden, promised a new rail link

in what way is that within the power or remit of a single MP? Is he going to lay the track himself?

neilthewheel

It was his election pledge, presumably when he thought he wouldn’t have to deliver it.

Drac

https://www.alnvalleyrailway.co.uk

There you go.

Look a viaduct.

neilthewheel

Thanks Drac, I know it. Not really the same though? That’s a cycling facility where none existed before, not a major country park railway line into the Tyneside connurbation used by thousands of people, part of the C2C etc. Do that on the Derwent Walk and at best you halve the space available for walking, cycling and horse riding. Plus there’s a bit of a difference between a weekend steam service and a busy commuter rail line with trains passing at 60mph or whatever.

Drac

An old railway being reopened? I’m struggling to see the difference.

Ah you added a bit.

It was used as a cycle path, bridleway and path but wasn’t maintained very well so yes this is a big bonus. But it shows they can work alongside each other. It’s unclear how busy and how fast the trains will run, that will all be part of the study.

kayla1
    Free Member

Get the train up to Consett with your bike & freewheel back down to the coast 😁 Also, there was this in the text-

Crucially, I would also like to see the cycling/walking route that is on the old track bed for a large portion of the route (the Derwent Walk) run alongside a new line. I know how important this route is for local people and for tourism, including the coast-to-coast cycle route. As our community in the constituency steadily grows, public transport infrastructure is vital in terms of traffic and the environment.

piemonster

Yeh, but you’ll still loose the viaducts (without major rebuilds, how likely is that?) so the cycle/walking routes will go elsewhere if anywhere at all.

Still seems a good thing to me even with that loss.

piemonster

Just a thought, but how structurally sound are the existing viaducts for modern rail traffic?

neilthewheel

Drac, it may be “unclear”about how busy/fast the trains may run but I’ll stick my neck out and say it’s unlikely to be a narrow gauge steam service running at 20mph.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Depends on the bridge. Some of the ones I’ve inspected are totally ****.

And that’s in use branch lines such as the west coast mainline…

Viaducts are pretty well built modern trains are pretty well damped I think so it all kind of cancels out.

neilthewheel

By the way folks, many of Durham’s bypasses were built on the bed of old railway lines but I don’t see Holden doing the “sensible thing” and demanding them back for rail services again.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Because that would be moronic?

Trains are a good thing we want trains bike paths and footpaths are great they can also be retrofitted on the side of structures.

winston2005

Increased rail infrastructure can only be a good thing (and yes I use the Derwent Walk). A metro type light rail rather than heavy rail, would be preferable. If it helps the people of north west Durham then I’m for it. Although I would be concerned it sucks investment out of the area as the Metro Sunderland link did for that area (allegedly).
    Given they are still fannying around the Blyth line (which last time I looked had the track in place) I wouldn’t hold my breath, but there again it might be used as a halo project as they voted the Corbinista out at the election

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Farewell then, Derwent Walk?’ is closed to new replies.