Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Farewell Privateer and chapeau.
  • clubber
    Free Member

It’s (almost) always a shame when a bike mag finishes but I got the first issue, expecting to like it but found that it sent me to sleep.

Maybe it got better after that but I just didn’t find it interesting enough to warrant spending the cash to find out.

stever
    Free Member

I thought wh smith stocked it, sure I’ve seen it in my local one! I don’t live in a cosmopolitan town btw

So I believe – tried 4x Smiths, including Euston Station. The best my non-cosmopolitan branch could do was offer Private Eye 🙂

dragon
    Free Member

Shame it was the only mtb mag worth reading IMO. Never had an issue getting it in the bigger WH Smiths.

wwaswas

re: the online offering, from their twitter feed;

Andy is being made redundant, so the site won’t be updated

so the site will stay there but just as a place holder with archive content.

kcal

Sorry but blame the accountantScotsman in me.

FTFY

iolo
    Free Member

How much was a copy to buy?

thomthumb
    Free Member

great magazine and i’ll miss it for sure.

atlaz
    Free Member

9 or 10 quid I think

somafunk

Damn shame, i really looked forward to a night in wi a few drams and a read through the mag, some very interesting articles over the previous few issues as well so it’s a 🙁 from me. I just got my “renew your subscription” letter last week as i only have issue 18 left to run, not much point sending it off then is there?.

So they’re going to concentrate on Rouleur from now on?, i guess that mag sits more comfortably in the trek riding, rapha wearing dentists waiting room.

Gary_M
    Free Member

It’s (almost) always a shame when a bike mag finishes

I know, I’ve never quite got over the demise of MTB Pro.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Bum! Only signed up for a subscription a few months ago too and enjoyed all the copies I’ve had so far.

Great shame

clubber
    Free Member

I know, I’ve never quite got over the demise of MTB Pro.

Funny, that was exactly what I was thinking when I typed that…

What was its sort of successor called? Bike Planet or?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Last I read was their excellent tribute to Burry Stander.

Shame to see it go, but I must admit that I’ve all but given up on buying any magazines recently. So, I suppose I’m partly to blame…..

Gary_M
    Free Member

Privateer is the magazine for mountain bikers who already know the obvious; for riders who have paid their dues in sweat and dust and broken bone, and are irrevocably hooked.

I still find that achingly cringe worthy.

GHill

Sad to see it go, but the pricing was always a big hurdle for me – one duff issue and I cancelled my subs.

Northwind

Shame… I’ve got a load of issues sat at home unopened though, I always found something interesting in each mag to keep me reading but it could be pretty hard work.

timc
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member

Thats because it is & your normal

jameso

It could be, but I’m not sure it’s entirely serious, a bit like a Rockshox press release.

I’ll miss it.

Some issues were better than others, that’s just the variety it has. There’s issues on the shelf that I haven’t read everything in yet, knowing there’s a good article for when I have a while to sit down and read.

I think what I like is the longer articles about stuff that was often historical or on the sidelines. That and zero product content, but it must be hard to take out of the financial planning for a mag.

Napalm
    Free Member

Well I like it! Said Florence, hopefully.

Jeff Jones article very good; always enjoyed what I’ve read in it but I don’t always get the time to spend reading it that it deserves.

fontmoss
    Free Member

I’ll miss it 🙁

ratherbeintobago

I’ll miss it

Me too; more consistently readable than Rouleur. Mind you, with two small kids I never got time to read it (or ST for that matter)

Nipper99
    Free Member

Shame = always a good read and never disappointed, purchased from issue one. Now what to read, anyone read Dirt Rag. We need a mtb equivalent of The Angry Corrie.

jameso

^ Dunno, I never read Rouleur. Wondering if I’ve missed much? Some great books around on the history of the TDF, classic bikes etc so less interest in a mag along those lines. Privateer felt a bit more unique in that respect. I suppose it was too unique, and many 35-50 yo MTB riders are into road bikes now.

Edit to add, a few saying we never have time to read a mag that has a few pages per article here.. That’s sad really. We need that reading time. Too much time on quick-fix websites, snippets of news. I don’t read newspapers so Privateer or a classic bikes book is my sunday coffee read if not online. Must read more tho.. Bunyan Velo seems like a good read but the online e-reader is awful compared to a paper mag, shortens my attention span by ~80%.

muggomagic

Could it be that singletrack’s change to something similar in look and feel was the final nail in the coffin?

brant
    Free Member

Nine quid?

scotroutes

I’d much rather read folks blogs. Too much of the stuff in the mags is the “industry” talking to itself. What folk are really doing is much more interesting.

geoffj

😆 @ Brant

Nipper99
    Free Member

Spose thats £8.99 more that it takes to produce most of the on one tat but you have to pay for quality.

geoffj

Nipper – there’s more than a hint of sarcasm in Brant’s comment.
    I guess you didn’t read the early issues.

Duffer
    Free Member

What shite news… What to subscribe to now, then? Has Singletrack changed much in recent years? I always thought it looked like someones A-Level photography coursework…

Metasequoia

I really liked its as it found its feet. Shame there arn’t more mtbers, it was my second fav behind Ride and this magnificent Journal of course. Rouleur it is then which I like but not as much. Note to Rouleur please don’t do another b&w cover of detail of a velodrome …

Metasequoia

….I like velodromes, great photo, but I love to open Rouleur and see some colour…

timc
    Free Member

I never like to see anyone lose a job or go out of business, but it seems the pricing was a big weakness

IanW
    Free Member

Lot of belt tightening going on at the mo.

TiRed

I came late to mountain biking (43). I enjoyed every issue and it filled a gap in my cycling history and general knowledge. Never read Rouleur, but I do read books on road cycling instead (and Procycling and the Comic).

Perhaps my complete collection will now appreciate on my bookshelf.

Speeder

£9 is a massive hurdle for anyone to get over when it comes to buying a magazine. I’m not bothered enough by adverts to want to pay for not having them in a magazine and I’ve bought BMX and MTB mags for 30 years.

Think I’ve looked at it on the stand in the bike shop and thought nice cover, odd format – how am I going to store that, HOW MUCH!! and my curiosity ends there.

Good luck to all concerned, these can be tough times.

timc
    Free Member

I didnt know it had no ads, because I never got over the £9 price

Dark-Side

I didnt know it had no ads, because I never got over the £9 price

This was the problem. Its all well and good publishing a perfect bound book with high pagination, great paper stock and a smaller quantity of ads if the reader understands and accepts the repercussions that will have on cover price.

The Rouleur reader and the Privateer reader I would guess to be poles part in salary and attitude though. what a shame. Well done Andy and co on a great mag.

Ladders
    Free Member

£9 is way to much for a magazine

Way to pricy for the ipad verson as well!

rewski
    Free Member

Way to pricy for the ipad verson as well!

iPad sub was a lot cheaper.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Farewell Privateer and chapeau.’ is closed to new replies.