• This topic has 60 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ton.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Anyone in the know? (29er custom build content)
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

(ton: Forum police are vigilant I see)

Last time I scoured the UK in the Summer I came with almost zilch finding a custom 29er frame builder.

I know Brant has something on the 29er woodsy back boiler but there's no news of that yet…?

So, is there any builder who can help?

sheldona
    Free Member

Could always see if Alex aka SingleSpeedPunk founder of Solitude could help out?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks, I'll ask

Is your T**** R**** an IF, and custom too?

scholarsgate
    Free Member

What about burls? Have a look at the reviews section for a couple of example frames.

sheldona
    Free Member

Yes but they're not 29ers 😉

ton

i have emailed a builder in scotland regarding the very same thing nigel.
    and i think if you contact brant, he might be able to help.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Yes, I looked at Justin Burls. He only does Ti now (Russian), and mainly 26" and I am really after steel.

I'm also after some sizing help, and what I found was if the builder is not very familiar with 29er's he will struggle.

scholarsgate
    Free Member
    bonesetter
    Free Member

ton – hey, group buy discount 🙂

ton

nigel , email me.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Yes, thanks for the burls link. I was in long discussion with Justin in the summer.

That 29er he made for Al looks very nice. What I am after though is really a long travel 'woodsy' bike, and tbf I was looking for someone with that kind of experience/knowledge of how the the differing materials will work.

It's quite tricky laying down the coin when the builder has only made one or two

scholarsgate
    Free Member

fair point.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

im having a 26" bike made for me by a gent who makes road bikes mainly.

he has made a few MTB's and when i popped my forks round he didnt know what to do with them.

he has never made a frame with disk mounts. but i have seen his work and it is superb. im expecting to get it before april!!

will post picks when its finished

bonesetter
    Free Member

You see this is the problem. I found someone who restores and builds bike frames. His work is superb. He mainly builds track and road bikes. He has build one 29er XC mtb

For me, that was not enough. An experienced 29er frame builder will know how changing the gauge of the CS's will affect the ride feel, or what dia DT you need for durability and torsion etc etc

clunker

Could well be who Ton is on about? http://www.shandcycles.com/?gclid=CPXP-pjSjZ8CFSYulAod9huwMw. Building my new one.

brant
    Free Member

how changing the gauge of the CS's will affect the ride feel

ooh, I wouldn't do that.

or what dia DT you need for durability and torsion etc etc

38mm

bonesetter
    Free Member

38mm – which tubing?

brant
    Free Member

Shedfire Fathead tubing 🙂

singlespeedstu

Nige.

You need to try and talk Martin into selling you his place at the front of the Wolfhound queue.

Or get you're own name down. That'll give you loads of time to ask stacks of questions about stuff that you won't be able to feel when you ride it. 😉

bonesetter
    Free Member

Wolfhound – but I don't want a 7lb frame

singlespeedstu

I think they could make it quite a bit lighter than that and it'd still be strong enough for you. 😛

bonesetter
    Free Member

Brant – Oh, does this mean there might be availability of a frame, or few (ton still wants one too)?

bonesetter
    Free Member

The WH's are gorgeous lookers for sure

brant
    Free Member

and

I have started a "Blue Pig 29" project, but not sure… I'm sort of tempted, but see the above…

Jerome
    Free Member

Enigma build custom steel in the Uk..
    Seem like good guys

bonesetter
    Free Member

😆 OIC

Don't zealots sell more frames for you though?

Clink

I have started a "Blue Pig 29" project, but not sure… I'm sort of tempted, but see the above…

Go on..you know you want to!

I e-mailed Pipedream the other day and they said they might do a steel 29er this year. Might be worth a few more e-mails to them?

bonesetter
    Free Member

I did speak to Enigma, they seemed to get a little panicky when I asked for custom dimensions

TooTall
    Free Member

Why not go to Dave Yates and build the damn thing yourself? I'm sure he could build most things – he has so far.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I thought about that idea, and building the thing myself. I thought how cool would be, riding the bike you've built yourself!

Then I looked at a few threads on mtbr of how these have gone wrong for folk, mainly in the form of breakages.

No, what I want is the input of an experienced framebuilder who can breath some magic into the design.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Last I heard is that SSP had escaped to the IT world and had fitted gears to his bike 🙁

Nice to see Brant is still being Brant.

ton

what is a zealot…….. ❓

bonesetter
    Free Member

Brant's afraid of them 🙂

I think he's worried he'll create a leviathan 😯

Clink

What about Waltworks?
    http://www.waltworks.com/dev/index.php
    Very experienced in steel 29ers.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Clink, yes for sure there are quite a few US 29er builders who would do the job just fine I'm sure – Walt being an excellent choice. I don't think you would go far wrong with him.

He (another that springs to mind is Ted Wojick) would know what the intended terrain is too, as they have built frames for 'East Coast woodsy riding'. Ted built one a couple of years ago through a collaborative mtbr forum exchange as the best bike for East Coast riding. The finished bike was IIRC was a 100mm travel ~71 deg HA, medium (for a 29er) CS length HT.

While this is not the slacked out LT, tucked in the rear bike I'm after, he has the experience of knowing what people want and how the built needs to be varied for that end

BUT, that still doesn't get the homegrown roots feel into your dream custom bike I don't think.

I want a local bike by a local builder 😀

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Carver

Ti custom loveliness. Available in steel and with gears. If you came to last years Big Bike Bash you could have won a frame!

bonesetter
    Free Member

Beautiful lines. Is that a stock frame of theirs?

The chain stays look very long

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Custom build. No cable guides, no bottle mounts, no gear hanger, just clean and simple. Ask Manchester Trev, he lurks on here sometimes and is their importer and top bloke.

If you are anywhere near Southampton give me a shout and you can have a play if you want.

fenboy
    TooTall
    Free Member

bonesetter – do you know what I mean when I say 'build one with Dave Yates'? I'd be very alarmed if anyone who had built a bike with him had it break – he is one of the most experienced frame builders in the UK – don't confuse him with 'self build'.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Anyone in the know? (29er custom build content)’ is closed to new replies.