Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • FAO Runners: Hills
  • Duggan

I entered the Haweswater Half Marathon this year which is in about 5 or 6 weeks time. I didn’t really pay attention to the elevation but having checked today, there’s about 1000ft ascent over the 21km.

I’ve done a few half’s in the past but the hilliest was Leeds which, having also checked today, was only 200ft ascent.

I’m wondering if, climbing wise, I’ve bitten off more than I can chew? If I train and can run a decent half on the flat (should be attainable if I keep up the training) than I can just conquer the hills on the day? Or will 1000ft require some proper hill training I wonder?

It’s pretty flat where I live but not impossible to drive to some steep hills- I’d rather not have to bother though…but I would do if it means the difference between finishing and not finishing 😕

mtbben
    Free Member

If I remember rightly Leeds is just over 500ft elevation. 1000ft is a fair amount for a half so it will be tough but achievable if you pace yourself.

ElShalimo

Find some hills and run up and down them

molgrips
    Free Member

Doing a few short hill sprints (and flat sprints) massively improved my ability to cruise up hills on normal runs.

Get it done.

wors

Hill reps 😈

mogrim

It’ll be fine, it’s not that much – just take it easy at the start to avoid blowing up halfway round. Don’t head out at your usual HM pace, aim for something maybe 10-15s/km slower, and if you’ve got the legs at the end… A few tips:

* When you hit the steep bits try and keep the cadence up using shorter steps. Conversely on the downhill lengthen your stride. Assuming there’s no mud or ice you should go for it.

* If you’ve got access to a gym the hill workout on a treadmill or a stair climber would both be possibilities, but they’re certainly not 100% necessary.

* Study the course profile – you don’t want to go all out at 17km then discover there’s a hard climb to the finish line that starts at 19…

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ll be fine, just pace yourself

spacemonkey

Years ago I finished a hilly run up at Newlands CP in the Surrey Hills. An old fella was parked next to me and we got talking. We shared a few stories about running and one thing he said to me was: if you’re feeling the heat in the hills then shorten your stride, particularly when the terrain gets real steep.

This is something I’ve adopted ever since as it works for me. If you can handle bounding up those slopes then fair dos, but if you can’t then just go short. Makes you feel lighter and using less energy.

Duggan

Cheers guys, lots to go on here!

I think I’ll carry on with the training I’m doing but will modify it wherever I can to try and take in some hills.

I’m doing 2 sets of intervals in the week and a long run at the weekend so thinking about it, I could drive out to some hills for the long run at the weekend most weeks I reckon. Hopefully this will be enough to see me through with a respectable time.

It’s definitely not going to be PB territory for me so will see if I can make an adjustment for the hills and find out my ‘PB’ equivalent, if that makes sense.

sc-xc

I’m doing the winter trail half at coed y brenin on Saturday….this thread has just made me check elevation…1998 feet.

I don’t think I’ll be setting a pb

wors

Try doing some crossfit type stuff, good for your high end capacity.

paul4stones

1000ft? You should try the Old County Tops after that 😉

Shorter steps maintaining cadence and don’t forget to click the ‘GAP’ button on strava.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I’m in the Leith Hill half in early March. 1800 feet of climbing. Gonna hurt.

I did 1000 feet in 9 miles at the weekend. Still aching.

caspian
    Free Member

Don’t underestimate the downhills! Sounds stupid but a totally different set of muscles and can mess you up (cause damage) if not prepared. Someone off here recommended the Mike Stroud book (Survival of the Fittest) which had practically half a chapter on it. In short he came a cropper due to the downhills.

Hence a loop may be far more beneficial than a stair trainer in a gym.

mikey74
    Free Member

Conversely on the downhill lengthen your stride. Assuming there’s no mud or ice you should go for it

I’ve heard quite the opposite; that you should shorten your stride downhill as a long stride puts too much strain on your quads and knees and you can, if not careful, find yourself out of control.

jimmy

A pal once said to me “if you want to get fit, run up hills”. He wasn’t wrong.

riklegge

I’ve done the haweswater half, it’s a really nice race. The elevation is fine, it’s pretty gradual. In fact my time was a bit quicker than the other half marathon races I ran that year (eg Liverpool, quite flat).
    As others have said, do a few hill reps and you’ll be fine.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I try and run as fast uphill as I do downhill. Stops me from crashing into someone in front of me, or hurting myself.

1000 feet over a half marathon is not a huge amount of elevation. You should be ok with your training on the flat, but may have to readjust your target finish time. If you find the course profile then you should be able to try and simulate the hill reps to suit.

Good luck.

stever
    Free Member

It’ll be a beauty. Get some hills in and you’ll be fine.

D0NK

Wors where you doing your hill reps?

what sort of height/distance should we be aiming for?

if you’re feeling the heat in the hills then shorten your stride,

pretty much the only thing I remember from 5 years of secondary school PE, “when running (i was probably walking) uphill use shorter strides”.

mogrim

Hence a loop may be far more beneficial than a stair trainer in a gym.

Definitely, but as the OP said he didn’t have any hills nearby….

I’ve heard quite the opposite; that you should shorten your stride downhill as a long stride puts too much strain on your quads and knees and you can, if not careful, find yourself out of control.

Shorten strides if there’re rocks and what have you, but I’m assuming this is a road HM. In that case, and assuming no ice, long strides are better for speed. (I don’t mean so long you end up heel striking, but longer than you would on the flat).

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘FAO Runners: Hills’ is closed to new replies.