Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)
  • FAO On One, re Pompetamine
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

Hello, no doubt you're all very busy what with the carbon frame pending etc. there is an issue that has been raised on the on one site, news section, that has not been responded to and I was wondering if you could shed some light on.

the new pompetamine looks marvellous, and i expect to be getting one. however, the implication from one of the comments on the site is that only the frame has been made disc-compatible, and that there will not be a disc version of the fork available. i strongly hope this is not the case, as the prospect of putting one of the mtb forks on the front of a pomp is most offputting.

could someone who know the plan for the forks clarify it? thanks.

thomthumb
    Free Member

there is a photo of the forks – but it doesn;t show brake mounts…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I think you've written this on the STW forum instead of in a mail to On-One?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thomthumb
    Free Member

also 135mm fixed disc hub please.

thanks.

theflatboy
    Free Member

thom – i think you're right, in that this pic: appears to be a closeup of the fork, but this comment

"Should be able to take our chro-mo straight bladed rigid forks (available in lots of colours)- we'll just need to check that the fork crown steers clear of the down tube… "

suggests otherwise. hence the uncertainty.

and DBW – thanks for the heads up, i know that other people, eg. simon1975, are interested in the new version as well so i'd just have had to make a thread repeating any response i got.

simon1975

Deliberately vague photo, methinks…

I want the fork, not the frame 🙂

But I'm not desperate to spend my money until next winter as I'll also need to buy a new front hub/wheel and brake.

theflatboy
    Free Member

yep that was my conclusion as well – picture of a fork then suggestion of using a different fork. massive oversight if they haven't, be interesting to know what they'll put on the bike builds as well.

simon1975

I guess I wouldn't mind the extra tyre clearance they're promising – I've managed to "improve" mine slightly with a coldchisel to take some 35mm's…

Got a feeling I'll be taking a hacksaw to all the frilly bits before too long (brake guides, canti stop, pump pips and that daft chain hanging stud – does anyone ever use that?). How hard can it be to get a match for white paint? 😈

simon1975

Mmm Pompino:

(any excuse…)

the-muffin-man

…is Stevie Wonder running their design department!!!!

simon1975

…is Stevie Wonder running their design department!!!!

No, he works on the graphics in the factory – look how the downtube stickers are lined up on my green Inbred compared with the 456 above:

Non-driveside's OK though 😯

chela
    Free Member

Wow, just been over the On-One website for the first time in ages. I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said before, but they're really making a mess of their branding these days.

I'm sure this has already been done on STW, but I just noticed the page: Carbon 456 Graphics – let us know what you think. There's 11 options and every single one is gash.

Truly remarkable. 😯

thomthumb
    Free Member

chain hanging stud – does anyone ever use that?)

yes!

i agree though the pompetimine has the worst set of graphics i've seen.
    whats the rainbow stripes about; one one haven't got a world championship have they?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Are they usually any good at responding to emails? I sent one over a week ago with no response.

Harry_the_Spider

No, he works on the graphics in the factory – look how the downtube stickers are lined up on my green Inbred compared with the 456 above:

LOL. The head badge on my PX Uncle John looks like it was fitted in the dark with a catapult. It is nearer the side than the front!

thomthumb
    Free Member

Are they usually any good at responding to emails?

sent one before easter. got a stock response saying after the stock take they would get back to me.

I wish they would cos then i could tell them the answer 😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

anybody from on one able to clarify?

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i liked the comment from earlier – email them.

mugsys_m8

I too am waiting for a repsonse to 2 e mails I have sent to them, the first one being 3 weeks ago.

brant
    Free Member

I should have had the "disc pompino" nailed when I was there really…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRkpISj0fzo (check the date!)

theflatboy
    Free Member

you should, to be fair. 😆

if you want to make something "similar" and it includes a suitable disc fork, i'll be happy to take one off your hands 🙂

Saccades
    Free Member

whats the rainbow stripes about; one one haven't got a world championship have they?

xterra world champion isn't it? I love some of th new inbred designs too….

Clink

There's 11 options and every single one is gash

I like most of them – each to their own! 😆

Stevoisonone
    Free Member

The Pompetamine has disc ONLY road fork. Brant is correct this was indeed a "brief" that I inherited, and has not come soon enough… The Pompino started with "that blue" and 135mm rear, so putting the slot drop outs from the Inbred made sense. An Alfine Build photo is going to be on our website next week. We are have and are getting more Double Fixed 135 Rear hubs.

theflatboy
    Free Member

amazing. cheers for the info.

only one more question – when can i get one? 🙂

simon1975

Put me down for a white disco fork then please 🙂

pedalhead
    Free Member

Stevo, while you're here…I emailed a while back about the angles quoted on your website for the new carbon hardtail. Could you tell me what fork a/c (or travel will do) those are based on? Thanks!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Question, would the disk fork be warentied for an XC bike (is there tyre clearance as well?) Because lets face it the O-O/Pace/everyone 5 pice style fork is hideous.

I'd be all over it like a rash on a teenagers dangly bits if you made a better looking and not to heavy fork for XC bikes.

simon1975

I reckon 40mm tyres would be your max if it's the same as the normal Pompino fork (before mud!). And it's quite short A-C of course.

epicyclo

Isn't a disk a bit overkill on the Pompino?

There's not much room for a big tyre.

I've had cantis, Vs, and miniVs, on my Pompinos and it was relatively easy to lock up the wheels with any of those.

If there's disks we can use lighter rims though.

simon1975

Isn't a disk a bit overkill on the Pompino?

Not when the mud's deep and sticky 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

getting my pomp to stop as quickly as i'd like in london traffic was nigh on impossible with a v on the front and full panniers on the back. with the disc it not only stops but also doesn't knacker my fingers in the process.

plus the well-known benefits of discs for reliable braking free from endless adjustments.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i hope a lot more forks than frames have been ordered because it seems that such a thing – a low priced, disc mount only road fork – is pretty hard to track down. at least it was when i was trying to find one for my current pomp.

reckon a fair few will get sold.

finbar
    Free Member

Steveisonone, is it barspin compatible?

epicyclo

theflatboy – Member
    …plus the well-known benefits of discs for reliable braking free from endless adjustments.

You do realise that the majority of them are going to end up with BB7s 🙂 (Before the BB7 fans start cudgelling me – I love BB7s and have them on 2 bikes)

Agree about the mud bit, and hadn't considered about the fully loaded aspect.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

– a low priced, disc mount only road fork – is pretty hard to track down

I'm eyeing up a frame for an Alfine-11 commuter…. but it'll have the Kinesis DC19 fork – disc-only carbon lovelyness with mudguard mounts that don't foul the disc mounts for just over £100. Before I fitted these to my current bike I've no idea how I put up with the 700C P2's that were on there for so long!!!

EDIT: Oh, and agree with above – first job will be to get down to a powder coaters to improve its looks….

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

hrmph. If you'd been quicker (like 18 months quicker) I'd have one of those rather than a Road Rat now

alfine compatible; check
    Disk compatible; check
    braze-ons for rack and guards; check

and the rear disc loc is better than a trad one for rack and guard fitting

Ho Hum, better late than never I guess 😉

discs on a touring / commuter bike are great. very little maintenance (esp when commuting and only cleaning the bike once every 6 months) predictable breaking in all conditions, plenty of modulation (so no instant on locking up, at least not with 34s on) and loads of power when fully loaded touring. Only downside I've found (aside from fitting a rack, which on-one have thought their way around) is that discs on a road bike make it quite conspicuous.

I like it (and I rather like at least one or 2 of the new decal options for the 456 aswell … for my sins!)

Stevoisonone
    Free Member

Pompetamines are @ 4-6wks away.. Build Photo on OO Site next week
    pedalhead – had to do some work… wrong post.. but 456 geo is same as steel… A-C Max is 545mm 🙂
    Finbar – Bar spins in traffic = bad… if you use a stem with rise on it, you will have to run one of those hydralic gyro headsets if you want a discs.. or bodge a BMX cable gyro
    Thisisnotaspoon – Road forks for road bikes… Monster Cross and XC = MTB forks… there is a Carbon MTB mono-mold fork 450a-c on its way…all of this should be on the OO site eventually

daveplanetx
    Free Member

there are two pompetamine colours –

– original pompino blue with original decals

– i take full responsibility for the white graphics , its an hommage to my 1985 first ever bike bought a pearl white guerciotti , it actually looks luverly in the flesh , and if we dont sell em at least ill enjoy looking at the 100 frames in stock and all the nostalgia evoked – so its a win win

Were actually now getting round to finishing a lot of half started projects that me / brant lingered on far too long and never sorted – next up is the Fat Chancer an 853 steel classic completely retro and unsuitable for the modern age bike that no one will like but me , maybe complete with odyseey steering stabiliser , odyseey mohawk grips , roko lever skins , hite rite , aerator seatpost , girvan stem , fast feather skewers , and the infamous and much loved odyseey straddle rods brakes – splendid .

thomthumb
    Free Member

dave/ steve

what about a fixed disc hub for it? that'd be ace.

also be another thing like the fork that there is a big gap in the market for they are available but not at a sensible price…

willing to test them for you too 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘FAO On One, re Pompetamine’ is closed to new replies.