Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • FAO Fat Bike sceptics
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

http://therepublicofdoom.blogspot.com/

Stick to your trail centres, losers!

robnorthcott
    Free Member

So fat bikes are easier to carry/push than normal ones are they? 😉
    (I’m sure they did actually do some riding while the cameras were away…)

paul78
    Free Member

Don’t think anybody ever doubted their ability as a tool for Alaskan back country riding .. more as everyday replacements for ‘skinny’ tyres 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

Nice find Al.

singlespeedstu

Some great pictures in there.

ton

very nice photo’s……………spoiled by mong fat bikes. 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

Could somebody please tell me why I really, really want a Moonlander?

I’m a self-confessed lover of techy looking over-engineered bikes made of expensium alloy and I believe that there’s no such thing as too much travel.

Yet I really, really want that Moonlander because it just seems to make sense.

chakaping
    Free Member

I want a go on one after watching Klunkerz last night.

D0NK

isn’t that the same trip as this vid?
    Pretty damn cool and yeah 3″ tyres are the right tool for riding over glaciers, beaches, mud flats and other alaska coastline, just not sure they are right for bimbling round a UK forest

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

41 pics in that article, bike being ridden in 3 of them.

crikey
    Free Member

Pony trekking by bike using ponies with very fat feet.

RustySpanner

No capital letters?

I’m not reading that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL Stuart, I knew someone would come out with that. Just as well you didn’t start off as a roadie eh?

GW
    Free Member

no one ever starts out as a roadie, most learn in their local park or back garden etc.
    12″ wheel roadbikes are rather rare too.

GW
    Free Member

Ps. are all your threads autimatically tagged with “Cynic-Al Muppet” or do you add it yourself?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

41 pics in that article, bike being ridden in 3 of them

Well yes, so that means that FatBikes are perfect for 7.3% of riding conditions.

🙂

headfirst
    Free Member

Someone please explain to me how riding for hours over featureless sand, with no uphills or down hills, is better than riding proper trails – natural or man-made.

D0NK

headfirst watch the video and if you still don’t get it it isnt for you. I love the idea of doing a trip like that, just not sure I’m man enough to actually do it nowadays. I wasn’t as fit in my early twenties but I could manage without things like hot water and comfy beds.

headfirst
    Free Member

I watched the video, lovely music. But you can see they got bored with the riding as shown by one guy playing in the waves with his bike as something different to do. I’m up for adventure, but the actual riding part looked like a means to an end, rather than the end in itself, if you get me. I’d much rather do something like the west highland way or parts of the Great Divide route in N America.

cynic-al
    Free Member

GW I sometimes add that tag myself if I’m feeling left out but today someone else did it.
    [list]
    For sure part of the appeal of fat bikes is riding where you otherwise couldn’t. That may well entail riding on trails that aren’t as exciting as trail centres etc., but if that’s all mountainbikes are about for you then you might as well be on a playstation imo and I’m glad I have my vision of bikes and not yours

GW
    Free Member

not sure I get your point Al, I can do much more rad riding on my PS3. it’s not an either/or thing. 😕

I truely believe if you Play MX Vx ATV reflex or Alive for 10hrs+ a week it’ll help your mtb visualisation/planning skills for riding. ie. learning tracks, spotting lines and timing for jumping/squashing/doubling up/manualling/braking.

rusty90
    Free Member

Looks like a great trip, but I can’t help thinking it would have been easier without lugging two obese bikes around. A bit like off-piste skiing with a sousaphone – possible, yes; fun, maybe; practical, no.

coastkid
    Free Member

No “stumblefucking” over rocks for us fatty riders this weekend at the Fatbike meet at Holy Island 🙂

coastkid
    Free Member

Oh, here is Erics first pack raft adventure

[video]http://vimeo.com/2571046[/video]

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>fatbike packrafting<

Thanks for the warning – I’ll just file that with Brompton packrafting

Drac

No “stumblefucking” over rocks for us fatty riders this weekend at the Fatbike meet at Holy Island

Don’t get stuck on the causeway.

Kuco

So no one rode to far flung places until clown bikes were invented? 🙄

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I see much beard win there.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Go you, GW.

As for the rest of you fools 🙄

twohats
    Free Member

Seems all those fat bike adventurers seem to be doing a lot of walking and hiking a bike when they’re not “pack rafting”. Judging by the terrain they’re riding it’d be easier on a normal bike as it would be lighter to carry and the terrain they are riding on wouldn’t be any more difficult on a regular 26″ bike…

smell_it
    Free Member

I believe by 2013 the far flung frozen coastal tundra of surrey will be dominated by fat bikes.

paul78
    Free Member

More riding than pushing .. I love this guys blog ..

http://yetirides.blogspot.com/2011/08/poyrisjarvi-trip-started-with-very-good.html

Also shows that you don’t need to go to Alaska to find some back country epic 🙂

fourbanger
    Free Member

The irrisponsible lunatics. I certainly wouldn’t ride with them offroad. Anyone who doesn’t wear a helmet deserves to be eaten by a bear etc etc…

tazzymtb

I’ve always been a bit of a fat bike doubter, for UK riding. Had a go on shaggy’s on-one prototype at this weekend and it’s ace, couldn’t stop grinning, handles really well and to be honest if Brant can get them as a production bike he’s got my money!

Karl33to
    Free Member

also had a go on Shaggy’s prototype on-one at the weekend – was surprised just how easy it was to ride, it didn’t feel heavy or sluggish at all, and so much fun!

coastkid
    Free Member

STW would not be STW without doubters, 🙂
    having ridden normal bikes on the beach years before the Pugs and stuff came along i have to say it was crap most of the time except for on the really hard sand, and i always had sore legs the next day,
    get on a train to Edinburgh and i will take you along our local coastline of East Lothian, we have 5 pugs up here, i will have a 2nd fatty soon too so a spare bike will be available, just cost you a pint :mrgreen: but feel free to have a go riding my pug until the 2nd bike arrives, but i aint riding your skinny bike for long… 😀

flow
    Free Member

Riding on sand, how fun.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

So what are they like on boggy moorland stuff? Do they make the gloop ridable without carving it up, or just sink irretrievably?

motivforz
    Free Member

another one who had a go on the on one proto, just instantly put a grin on my face. can’t quite explain why, but it was just brill. rolled over twigs and little ruts like they weren’t there, and as said before, didn’t feel that heavy to steer. Must be all that lightweight air in those tyres.

flashes
    Free Member

I took the proto around the race course, I did about a 1/4 of a lap (my legs were a little rubbery from the race) it was brill. I own a Pugsley and it’s going to be a tough decision on which to end up with…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘FAO Fat Bike sceptics’ is closed to new replies.