Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • fao dialled alpine owners…..looking for help on frame sizing
  • grimupnorth
    Free Member

lads (& lasses)

looking for some help on sizing for the dialled alpine frame if possible.

I’m approx 5’10 – 5’11 with a 32″ inside leg.

In your experience would I be better looking at the 16 or 18″ frame?

I know I should go to my LBS but my nearest alpine dealer is over 100 miles away 🙁
    ….and I’m trying to get an idea on the correct frame tonight

thanks in advance for any help!

souldrummer
    Free Member

I’m about the same height and leg length as you and I have a Mk1 17″ which has a 23″TT. I was undecided about sizing and I spend a lot of time e-mailing Mike. He seems quite happy to discuss stuff so, at the risk of stating the obvious, drop him a line and he can discuss the type of riding you do and which frame will be best.

Jamie
    Free Member

5’7″/32″ Inside leg and had a MK1 15.5/22″ TT version.

infidel
    Free Member

Same size as you and I have the 16 version. Had a long chat with Mike when chosing the size and his advice the 16. I Don’t regret listening to him at all – it’s great!!

GW
    Free Member

what will you be using it for?

I’m 5’11” and a (much shorter) mate has a 15.5″/21″ with the forks at 100mm and a short (50mm?) stem it’s quite nice to jump. for me as an allrounder with a bias towards jumping/DH I’d probably go 15.5/22.

grimupnorth
    Free Member

cheers for your input lads.

GW, I’m looking to use it as a hard riding trail bike (no big jumps or drop offs), no all day sessions or such like…..out on the saddle for say 2hrs max.

would maybe be teaming the 16″ frame up with a short 50mm stem and 140mm pike forks.

looks like a 16″ frame maybe the way to go……guess if the worst comes to the worst I can always sell it on if things don;t work out.

infidel
    Free Member

Thats sort of what I wanted mine for. I have a 575 for all day comfort and wanted something for a bit of a play and to inspire a bit of confidence pointing it down a hill. I have a 50mm stem and an inline post on the bike currently though a layback post would stretch you out a bit if you wanted – I’ve not found any need to so far. As I said before I think its a great bike. 130mm forks BTW.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

The Alpine needs to be ridden hard for it to shine- I like doing jumps and drops in my normal routes, but didn’t get on with the Alpine- too stiff 90% of the time

grimupnorth
    Free Member

infidel, I’m beginning to think the 16″ frame IS the way to go.

reason I’m a bit hesitant is that a few years back I bought a cove stifee (size L 19.5″ frame) on spec without looking into things properly…..frame was way too big!…eventually managed to get it sold, trying not to make the same mistake again.

if I go for the alpine it’s to use as a direct replacemnt for the cove. I’ve got a cannodale full suss bike for heavy duty riding……but I really fancy getting a hard hitting hardtail for trail riding, winter runs….and generally larking about on!

Jamie
    Free Member

…at 5’10” get a 16. The bike is meant to feel small so you can chuck it about.

ojom
    Free Member

It’s dialled week this week. 2 Alpines and a PA. Crazy.
    Go with the 16 I reckon.

Are you able to visit the Burgh? We have a 16 demo.

legend
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” and a (much shorter) mate has a 15.5″/21″ with the forks at 100mm and a short (50mm?) stem it’s quite nice to jump. for me as an allrounder with a bias towards jumping/DH I’d probably go 15.5/22.

that’ll be me then…

forks actually at 125mm to keep it slack but only setup to use about 100mm to stop weight going too far forward on steeps. It does indeed have a 50mm stem though.

Good fun to jump, really good fun on singletrack and rough stuff, starts to get sketch on steeper stuff though cause the TT is so short. If I was buying again (with the full selection of the old 4 sizes) i’d buy the 15/22, from the current sizes it’d be the 15 everytime.

I’m about 5’9″ btw…. “much shorter”?! cheeky c**t 😉

grimupnorth
    Free Member

I certainly could.

if your first name begins with an “A” I was talking to you last week(?) about new ragley frames. I was looking as the Troof…but after speaking to you we thought this frame may be overkill for my needs.

I’m the guy that’s based in Aberdeen.

🙂

EDIT: in response to bike chain guy

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

5 foot 11 here riding a MK1 17″ by 22″TT

sounds like you want the same as i did, mine is great for a couple of hours blast in the peaks or at trail centres (150mm forks, short stem) but is also great fun on the odd small scale DH track.

Climbs ok but i’d want adjustable forks if i was going to ride it uphill a lot

i just bought the size of the proto i rode in the alps and it’s done me great

ojom
    Free Member

Ah I am not A I am M.
    Have a think and head down for a weekend of fun.

GEDA
    Free Member

I am about your stature and have a MK2 16 incher. I run it with a 75mm stem though as the 50 I had on my pa was too short. I ride it on 40 mile rides that include lots of drops, jumps and the like. I did have pikes on it. Now I have some 55 rc3 160mm forks. I liked the length of the pikes but the feel of the marzocchis. Great bike though.

GW
    Free Member

Oi short arse! (wondered when you’d be along) 😀
    remeber I rode it with my old DJ2s on it, your Foxs were too soft for me last time a nicked a carpark test 😉

scruff
    Free Member

I’m 6ft in thick socks and ride an 18/60mm stem/inline post. I ride it everywhere inc all dayers but dont really do proper dirt jumping on it, just like to jump off stuff on the trail.

grimupnorth
    Free Member

troops,

finally got my alpine built up 🙂

good news is that the 16″ frame is a perfect fit.

taking it out for it’s first proper off road run this weekend. I have been testing it out on the pavements in my area and the frame size and top tube length are all spot on…..who would have thought it? I’m 5’11 with a 32″ inside leg on a 16″ frame…..it works believe me 🙂

cyber pint to all those that advised on the 16″ frame, your advice was much appreciated!

here’s a few pics for those who are intersted, build is complete apart from trimming the gear/brake cables and also once I’m happy with the setup reckon I’ll trim the length of the fork steerer….and maybe put on a med cage rear mech.

happy daze 8)

infidel
    Free Member

phew….glad it fits, would have felt a bit of an idiot if it hadn’t. I absolutely love mine and will post pictures sometime; keep forgetting the camera on rides!

Urchinboy
    Free Member

Hmm. I’m about 5’11 and used to ride a 17/22 (and loved it). Taking delivery of an 18/23 next week. Be interesting to see if it feels too big. Hope not….

grimupnorth
    Free Member

you could set it up with a shorter stem pal.

I’ve got a 70mm stem in the above pics and it feels about right……50mm maybe the way to go for you?

tomkp
    Free Member

Master Urchin, how do you find the size of that 18/23 alpine?? I’m 6′ bang on but with mega lanky legs.
    Currently on an 18″ inbred with 50mm stem and half a mile of seatpost showing. It’s nice but I fancy something slacker with a bigger fork for lakeland pass storming fun.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” with long legs and used to ride a mk1 17″ with 23″ tt and a mile of seat post showing, the 18″ would have been better for me. I do miss it, but have an alpine 160 now instead.

Enjoy your new bike grimupnorth, but I think it will handle and look better with a few less stem spacers!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘fao dialled alpine owners…..looking for help on frame sizing’ is closed to new replies.