Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Fans of rooty, rocky trails in Bristol…
  • MrAgreeable

There’s going to be a much-needed trail day in 50 Acre Wood this Saturday to address the few gaping muddy pits that have opened up over winter. This sort of thing:

As usual tools and materials are supplied, and there’ll be cake and tea too. We’ll be meeting at the squeeze stile by the start of the trail at 10.00 am and will be somewhere in the woods until 3 or 4.00 pm, so arrive early if you can face it.

More details here (until we get our website sorted out): http://www.facebook.com/events/297120837004044/

Or email me with any questions – bristoltrailsgroup@gmail.com

MrAgreeable

Anyone?

transapp
    Free Member

No, we’re all just going to complain you’ve ruined it after your hard work 😉

longwayhome
    Free Member

That’s not particularly rocky.

And never will be.

That’s where you should have put your Ashton Court route.

Except there’s nowhere to build a mountainbiking centre and charge for parking.

TooTall
    Free Member

That’s where you should have put your Ashton Court route.

Except there’s nowhere to build a mountainbiking centre and charge for parking.

Quite a barbed comment that wasn’t really called for. Your part in trail maintenance and the consultation process for the new trails has been what? You do know that Mr A does this because he can, not because he makes oodles of cash from it?

Back on track – Ms TT has her birthday party on Sat – pain of death to miss it. Make sure you cross-advertise with the Bike Jumble too.

transapp
    Free Member

See? I was right!

MrAgreeable

And never will be.

I’d say it’s at least magenta grade. 😉

FuzzyWuzzy

What if the ground is frozen?

MrAgreeable

If it’s really solid, we’ll concentrate on drainage and stockpile some rocks. And talk nonsense and eat cake, of course.

noteeth
    Free Member

Ah, I’d have been on for this – but will be Mendip-bound on saturday.

Next time…

supersaiyan
    Free Member

Damn it, got some mates visiting this w/e. next time.

And never will be.
    Ever been to 50 acre? I’m trying to think of anywhere in LW or AC is rockier, before or after the new trails were put in.

MrAgreeable

Rubbish excuse Ollie, I bet your mates would love a bit of barrowing. 🙂

longwayhome
    Free Member

Ever been to 50 acre?

Er, yes

I’m trying to think of anywhere in LW or AC is rockier, before or after the new trails were put in.

How about the New Barn Wood downhill section in Ashton Court (both before and after, thank god)

Have you ever been to Ashton Court?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Have you ever removed your head from your ass?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

NBW:

££££££££££

BTG:

50p

You could always quit bitching and do something useful.

longwayhome
    Free Member

I don’t think it cost anything to make “NBW” the way it was – just let a load of mountain bikers down it.

zippykona

Jeez the guys only asking for a hand. A yes or no will do.
    I’m a no as I live a long way away and will be working.

longwayhome
    Free Member

anotherdeadhero – Member

Have you ever removed your head from your ass?

Why don’t you, and while you’re at it, add to the debate rather than resorting to purile insults.

Supersaiyan asked

Ever been to 50 acre?

But then went on to say

I’m trying to think of anywhere in LW or AC is rockier, before or after the new trails were put in.

Now it’s blindingly obvious to anyone who mountain bikes AC, LW and FAW that New Barn Wood is and was one of the rockiest things around, hence my question.

Have you ever been to Ashton Court?

Don’t talk rubbish and I won’t query it. Simples!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

lwh – we’ve had this argument exhaustively for 2 years. I’ve said plenty on it, on the record and on here (AND AT THE CONSULTATION MEETINGS) if you want to educate yourself on it all. I guess you don’t.

I don’t think it cost anything to make “NBW” the way it was – just let a load of mountain bikers down it.

Its just a shame that letting ‘a load of mountain bikers down it’ as you put it, had completely wrecked 99.8% of the other trails round Bristol, made a complete mess of 4 local woods, and 99.999% of the MTB community in Bristol was happier bitching about it on internet forums than getting out fixing stuff with spades and graft.

clubber
    Free Member

NBW is a pretty short section though. 50 Acre’s rocky bits (to the right as you go in the back way (bottom of the climb) are much longer and really I’d say that they were at least as rocky as the NBW bits if not more so. I’ve certainly crashed on them at 50 Acre more than NBW 🙂 YMMV.

shaggy

Let’s not have this argument again.

The point was quite clear: will you come and help repair some trails?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Even though I never ridden in Bristol, and am a good 2 hrs away, Im tempted to come and help just to piss mr lwh off. 😆

MrAgreeable

I’m quite glad this debate keeps rumbling on, as it means that more people will see this thread, realise the trails don’t magically fix themselves, and come and help.

So it’s all good really. And did I mention there’s going to be cake?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

mmmmm caaaaaaaaake

cake then rugby, whats not to like?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

cake and rugby.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

You’re such a rounded personality KT.
    Meanwhile, I’m just round 🙂

MrAgreeable

Well, that was hard work…

But it was fun (in a masochistic sort of way), conditions were great for moving stone, we “sanitised” some massive holes, and there was double cake (carrot cake and millionaires shortbread) too.

Keep your eyes peeled for the next one in early March.

MrAgreeable

We’re out again this Saturday. Conditions should be slightly softer. 🙂

Planning to target the horrible rutted section just after the first layby on Weir Lane. We’ll be out from 10-4’ish, slightly earlier than usual as I’m planning to hire us a toy. Come and lend a hand if you’re around!

bobsoff2
    Free Member

Longwayhome… he got it bad tonite ain’t he !!!

MrAgreeable

Check the dates?

Janesy
    Free Member

Filling holes in a ‘mountain’ bike track. oh my dayz…

MrAgreeable

Yep. The older trails round here are basically built on mud. Leave them alone and they just turn into a rutted mess.

A bit of TLC keeps them fast, rocky and gives us the chance to build cool new stuff.

MrAgreeable

Before:

After:

(Sits back to wait for predictable comments about muddy swamps being more fun to ride than fast hardpack, etc.)

Janesy
    Free Member

Sitting here with the wife, she said the second one looks good. – She doesn’t ride….

Imo the first one doesn’t seem pleasant as its wet. But as soon as it dries out good trail with ‘mtb’ obstacles.

I guess it’s how you class mtb.

1 – Challenging

or

2 – Sanitise the ‘trail’ to get more people riding.

for what ever reason your doing it for, im sure your doing a good job and I hope your enjoying it.

TooTall
    Free Member

Janesy – are you familiar with the trails being repaired, the traffic they get and where they are?

I suspect not. If you were, you would applaud and not snipe. I wish I were as rad as you sound.

csb

Trouble is Janesy, it doesn’t dry out often enough up there to be what you’d call good. There’s still plenty of unimproved stuff that keeps you guessing.

Good work Mr Agreeable. As a time poor Bristol rider, is there a way of donating to the trails upkeep? Is money needed or is the funding good and just labour that’s lacking?

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Well done guys,rode it today 🙂

Janesy
    Free Member

TooTall – I have been up there a few times.

As I dont come from Bristol I have other trails that are equally as close.

Perhaps I should ride again though before I pass judgement.

TooTall
    Free Member

Perhaps you should know the context – that for 9 months out of 12 the quagmire is pretty much the norm. The massive increase in rider numbers over the last couple of years have seen a relentless hammering of the ‘natural’ trails in the area. They were in terminal decline and without this sort of attention were becoming wider and deeper and wetter.

boxfish
    Free Member

As a long time user of the trails across the (Clifton Suspension) bridge I will put my hand up to being initially sceptical about the recent work done on rebuilding and rerouting the trails. It has now become obvious to me that my misgivings about the works were purely based on a nostalgic view of the ‘natural’ trails from 20 years ago. I have learnt to appreciate the new, smoother trails for what they are, rather than comparing them to the quiet, winding trails of the early 90s. Anyone could see that the well-ridden routes were starting to take a heavy toll on the surrounding area as the puddles widened and the ruts deepened. For what it’s worth, I’d like to say well done to all those who put in the time and effort to build and maintain these trails.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Fans of rooty, rocky trails in Bristol…’ is closed to new replies.