Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fangled me starnut….
  • metalheart
    Free Member

Oh man.

Was having difficulty getting the headset to tighten up so swapped stem, played about with things and now I’ve gone and torn off the screwed part of my starfangled nut… 😢🤬😱

The obvious short term solution is rob the forks off another bike (the one that I can’t ride coz the shock bushing still needs replaced and I’ve not got the tool for that yet…).

But how do I actually fix it?

I was toying with the idea of getting new forks for the full sus anyways… 🤷🏼‍♀️🙇🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

thepurist

Bash the old sfn further down and fit a new one on top?

tuboflard

@thepurist has it. Easy fix.

cynic-al
    Free Member

As above.

Or move house so you have to buy a new bike or something 🤪

metalheart
    Free Member

Actually, if you hit it with a screwdriver/hammer combo then because it’s just two bent bits of metal they flip sideways and can then be pulled out using pliers…

Gwan, asked me how I knows this… 😂🤣

metalheart
    Free Member

Or move house so you have to buy a new bike or something

That’s brilliant, why didn’t I think of this myself?

bikecurious
    Free Member

Have made the same mistake and used the purist method. Forks are still going on my brothers bike.

garage-dweller

Biff it through and out of the bottom of the steerer.
    Do not use anything wooden like a bit of dowel to do so. Splinters. 🙄

metalheart
    Free Member

Ordered new SFN from CRC this afternoon.

It’s not even been dispatched, it’s an outrage!

Does anyone have the CEO’s email address?

greeny30
    Free Member

I’ve never had to buy a star fangled nut in twenty years but must have about ten knocking around in the shed, loft and toolbox. Is it just me or do most people on here end up with a few spare ones.

Northwind

You can#’t always knock them out the bottom of all forks btw- but it’s pretty uncommon for that to be an issue these days with tapered forks. They’re also easy to drill out if you prefer

garage-dweller

You can#’t always knock them out the bottom of all forks btw- but it’s pretty uncommon for that to be an issue these days with tapered forks. They’re also easy to drill out if you prefer

Sounds like a perfect lesson for me to learn the hard way at some point (when I’ve had time to forget this advice).

metalheart
    Free Member

I’ve never had to buy a star fangled nut in twenty year

Well, this is the first time I’ve had to go out and actually specifically buy one. Sure, i must have one somewhere…. but where? I remembered that I’d an old Head Doctor (which I actually found) but it doesn’t fit, well interference only (and I didn’t fancy having to try knock that through).

I’ve mostly bought Hope headsets the past >15 years and since going 44 it’s been the pick n mix so no spare SFN…

kayak23

The Star Fangled Nut

joshvegas
    Free Member

Well, this is the first time I’ve had to go out and actually specifically buy one. Sure, i must have one somewhere….

I keep one screwed into the installation tool. Seemed like a good a place as any and i don’t have to search for two things in the shit-tip

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fangled me starnut….’ is closed to new replies.