Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Fancy looking bridges of The World.
  • Harry_the_Spider

Da Nang Dragon Bridge, Vietnam.
    Fancy looking bridge…

…that at 9:00pm on Saturday and Sunday breathes fire!

I assume that they close it to traffic for this. Health and Safety etc.

binners

You can’t beat a Calatrava Bridge for looking like it shouldn’t really work, but rather simplistically lovely none the less…

I really like the one in town….

chambord
    Free Member

I really like the one in town….

I love that one too! Never looked up what it was before though so thanks.

Anyway I’ll add this one because I went there (Ronda) on holiday a month or so ago. It may be old skool and not as modern as those already mentioned, but certainly fancy looking and rather impressive, like something out of lord of the rings:

gonzy
    Free Member

Hangzhou Bay Bridge (Zhejiang, China)
    36km long with 6 lanes in both directions

Miliau Bridge (Tran Valley, France)
    tallest bridge in the world

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Does it count as fancy? probably not, but I like the “fed up of building bridge, let’s do a tunnel” (or vice versia) lookof the Oresund Bridge

spacey

Not modern, or exotic, but will always be my favourite. Getting that first glimpse of it from the train is always special.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider

Before

During

After

Lloyd

Pook

^ not Jeff Bridges, oh skewered one.

kayak23

Thomas Heatherwicks rolling bridge.
    Beautiful and very clever.

[video]http://youtu.be/x0Dj7XA77hw[/video]

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Punto Vecchio

incorporating the Vasari Corridor

MrNice
    Free Member

gonzy beat me to posting the Millau bridge but I really want to go and see it in person

another picture

Esme
    Free Member

wanmankylung
    Free Member

If we were to have a category for places that are pretending that they’re not a bridge it would have to be South Bridge in Edinburgh. For many years I wondered where it got its name from – then I went under it.

mark90
    Free Member

As a kid I always thought this was a cool bridge….

The last lift in 1990

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rliYDuWcCg[/video]

And to complete the trio of iconic NE bridges

avdave2

Two bridges for the price of one in Porto

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Because I was there last week, Charles Bridge in Prague. I got up at 5am to get a shot without any people in.

And from up on the hill over looking the Vltava.

moonboy
    Free Member

/sorry

nickc

I’ve driven over that bridge in France, I don’t normally suffer from vertigo, but lordy I was gripping the steering wheel tightly 😯

That rolling bridge vid…I love the way it has people walking over it, as if we all need to be shown what to do… 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Does this count?

woody2000

Closer to home, there’ll be a similar looking bridge to the Millau one over the Mersey in the next few years. Not as high obviously, but very similar in design:

Artist’s impression

stevied
    Free Member

gonzy
    Free Member

gonzy beat me to posting the Millau bridge but I really want to go and see it in person

another picture

but yours looks more spectacular! 🙂

cchris2lou

My dad lives below the Millau bridge.
    The local paper announced this morning that they have the go ahead for a running race on the bridge for 2016.last time they did it, it was one of the biggest sporting events in France.

cbike
    Free Member

Scotland has them. All in the same place. The third one is mental and it’s not even finished yet.

roper
    Free Member

GrahamS

That Calatrava Bridge looks how I think the Gateshead Millennium Bridge was supposed to look. 😀

It still manages to look pretty good at the right times though:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/egmk4g]Millennium Bridge – Newcastle upon Tyne – UK[/url] by Shahid Ali Khan, on Flickr

GrahamS

Not particularly unusual, but I like the idea:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9E1wsxOSzM[/video]

crazy-legs

Right, amendment to this thread – you need to state the name and location of the bridge!

This is nothing special but it’s local to me and sits above a big gorge that has any number of big and small bridges crossing various bits of the two rivers that meet there.

New Mills, Derbyshire (not my pic, just off Google Images)

Lovely double arch stone viaduct

mark90
    Free Member

Thought that the lower arches looked like a later addition to add some support to the original tall arches. Quick google…

Queens Bridge
    This was the first of the arched high-level bridges. It was built to carry the Thornsett Turnpike Road, now called Church Road, over the river Goyt in 1835. The lower tier of the bridge was added in 1888, when major strengthening work was undertaken. The path under the smaller arch follows the route of the former leat or headrace, which delivered water from the Goyt to Torr mill, via an aqueduct. At the head of the leat lies a small bridge close to the site of a cottage known as Ned Mill. This bridge was part of the water management for Torr Mill. It seems likely that Ned Mill was the water mans residence.

avdave2

I got up at 5am to get a shot without any people in.

Could of stayed in bed and just bought a postcard, they are pretty cheap in Prague 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

This one’s pretty cool. Amazing to see the city of New Orleans appear on the horizon . . .

binners

The bridge across the bridleway as you ride up through Rivi gardens is a bit of an oddity. I like it though.

And of course Stockport Viaduct is probably the most impressive thing about Stockport, and carries the most important thing… the way out!

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Binners you beat me to the one of Rivington by a mere 4 minutes! Its called the 7 Arch bridge and the 7 represents the days of the week. In the gardens, one of the flights of steps has 365 steps (representing days) and this is bisected by 4 paths (seasons).

The Stockport Bridge is the largest brick structure in Western Europe…

Pieface

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Pennine Way near High Cup Nick. Now sadly broken 🙁

rs
    Free Member

One of the few bridges that is a tourist attraction, I rode across the Golden Gate Bridge last week…

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Meccano Bridge at Nob End

ads678

This is an interesting bridge as the first ever video footage was shot by Louis Le Prince from the white building on the right.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I rode across the Golden Gate Bridge last week..

Did you check out the Tidal Model in Sausalito?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Fancy looking bridges of The World.’ is closed to new replies.