Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fancy Edison Filament Bulbs. Fit for our needs?
  • medlow
    Free Member

We are nearing the finish line of our new kitchen.
    It has come to decide on a light for above a breakfast bar.
    I quite like those Edison filament bulbs, having 3 of them hanging low but at differing heights would look great.
    But do they actually emit any useful light? Looking at them in the numerous showrooms is not helping me much.
    We would only use the light at night and really only when working on a laptop and stuff, grabbing a quick snack etc, not heart surgery.. The under unit lights in the kitchen and lights in the other room give enough light to see what you are doing anyway..

I fully understand that they are not designed to be used as a main room light.
    Anyone with experience of these bulbs that can shed any light.?

molgrips
    Free Member

If you ask me, they are already looking very passé. Maybe if you want your kitchen to look like an IKEA set or a try-hard indie coffee shop they might work.

twisty

The ones that are actually a tungsten filiment are electrically inefficient even by filiment bulb standards and are ‘feature lighting’
    The ones which have LEDs inside are much more efficient are availible in different powers and in general provide much more illuminance.
    So it depends on what you want

nixie

Our lounge has 5 led filaments in a chandler style fitting (SES candle bulbs). These produce plenty of light in a reasonable size room.

avdave2

Agree with molgrips, you’ll be asking if you should fit an avocado bathroom next `:-)

stayhigh

Based on my experience with couple of floor standing lamps with LED filament bulbs, what you’re proposing would offer a suitable quality of light for your needs. IMHO these bulbs add a nice touch to what would otherwise just be a bulb hanging from the ceiling or a some potentially gaudy lampshade and if it suits the OP’s sense of aesthetic and the features of their home then go for it.

avdave2

I suppose the real issue will be whether people will be able to read the inspirational quote you have stencilled on the wall by the light of these lamps `:-)

medlow
    Free Member

Avocado bathroom suite… Now you’re talking!

jimdubleyou

We have Hue bulbs in a plain dangling fitting – able to give bright light when needed and subtle when not.

We can also ask alexa to turn the kitchen red when England are playing, but that’s more of a gimmick than anything useful 🙂

jairaj

I have a vintage style bulbs with a filament in my lounge. I think it is rated at 40W and is really not very bright at all, they are more for giving ambience to the room and need supplementing with proper light for doing anything useful. The bulb is fine if you are just chilling talking to friends or watching tv, maybe just about bright enough to read a book if you are close it but I certainly wouldn’t be doing any precise clock making with it.

xora

We can also ask alexa to turn the kitchen red when England are playing, but that’s more of a gimmick than anything useful 🙂

This a new swinging euphemism I haven’t heard before?

wiggles
    Free Member

Maybe you could sync it to the calendar for a early warning for your Mrs?

medlow
    Free Member

Well, I have ordered them and will see how they go…
    If they look pants and don’t give off enough light then they will go on the bay.

Cougar

If they look pants and don’t give off enough light then they will go on the bay.

… or you could just send them back, so long as it’s within 14 days of receipt.

Kahurangi

I’ve got a bunch on a dimmer over our dining table. Check the colour temperature as most of the fancy ones are 2200K and not the 2800K of most other “warm” lights.

medlow
    Free Member

Fitted them today, 3 hanging low at alternating lengths over a breakfast bar.. They look darn fine.!
    3x 5w 90mm globe bulbs give out just the right amount, maybe even a bit too much (as the bulbs have no shades you tend to stare into them) so I will fit a dimmer switch this week to lower them a touch.

Now where’s that bathroom suite brochure, must have some avocado baths in there.

Kahurangi

Did you buy dimmable LED bulbs? I’ve tried a couple of different dimmers and have had good results from the Varilight dimmers. The normal BG electric (the literature differs on whether they are leading edge or trailing edge…) don’t work properly on most of the “dimmable” LED bulbs I’ve had.

HTH.

medlow
    Free Member

Yeah they are dimmable bulbs.
    I will add a dimmer this week.. I have a tendency to stare into them as they look cool but then regret it as I see dots everywhere for the following 5 mins.
    A dimmer will make them 100% purfik..

CountZero

Good to see someone standing up to the Instagram Influencers on here, the tastemakers Of STW…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fancy Edison Filament Bulbs. Fit for our needs?’ is closed to new replies.