• This topic has 27 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 6 days ago by Aidy.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Fancy bike purchase – essential journey?
  • Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Been offered an appointment to discuss a new (dream) bike at the builders next week.

It’s an hour away by car, and my immediate reaction was “it’s not allowed under the restrictions”

There’s all sorts of ways I can justify it to myself, but am I being weird for putting it off?

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

Nope not weird at all, I wouldn’t either. It’s a very nice to have but not at all essential.  Save up a bit longer and put even nicer bits on it when it happens

Premier Icon Clink
    Subscriber

Just say you are a Government advisor….

dhrider

Take your current bike with you and do some exercise while you are there.

Premier Icon woodster
    Subscriber

IF you are doing star jumps for the entire time that you’re discussing the bike then it’s part of your allowed exercise.

lightning

Not sure it will be frowned upon if you go to collect/discuss your new bike. After all, bike shops are all open, and you are now allowed to go out in your car.
    Here in the Peak District it’s very busy with people driving to beauty spots to go for walks.

If you take this sort of reductionism to its logical conclusion you’d not class anything as essential.

I’m not sure how driving somewhere makes any difference to the spread of the virus, unless you’re planning on licking people along the way. I am sure that the virtue signalling lockdown fascists will be along soon to attempt to justify their own narrative.

JP

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

Put it on a scale of essential journeys. Is it worse than driving half the country whilst ill with covid, to drop kids at grandparents?

No? Crack on 😉

Premier Icon Esme
    Subscriber

Never mind “essential” or not . . .
    Surely it’s your public duty, to help keep our economy running?

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

I’m liking the public duty argument, but have just been reminded I won’t have a car this week, so it’s a mute point.

Premier Icon joat
    Subscriber

It’s essential to tell us what you’re buying so you can get a lot of opinions why you’re wrong and what you should be buying instead.
    Lockdown as we knew it is over, do what you feel is safe just 6’6″ away from others.

Premier Icon BigJohn
    Subscriber

As you haven’t got the car it’s neither a mute nor a moot point.

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

I’d be less concerned about the driving and more about going into the premises to talk about the new bike. Surely that’s a risk?

Unless they are actually measuring you why would you need to travel?

kahl

Sounds like something that could be done by video conferencing.

Subscriber

There would be a bit of measuring and/or trying for size, but they feel that they have got it as risk free as they can.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

Does it have to be an in-person meeting, could you not gawp at a pile of bike parts and discuss what colour hubs you want via zoom?

Premier Icon jako
    Subscriber

I would just use my instinct and go …

project

Just go, whats going to happen, public humiliation on public media and and anti social media

kahl

Take your kid(s) just to be safe.

Subscriber

I’m deeply offended by the Dominic Cummings comparison, but I’m confident that Boris will back the instinct of a fellow cyclist

Onzadog

So long as you do it with integrity, you’ll be fine.

nofx

In light of the cummings debacle. Just go for it. If the cops stop you,just tell them you’re following government guidelines.

If you already have a bike you can ride until restrictions are eased then dont go. If you dont have a bike, so the new one means you can get your ‘daily cycle’, then go.

Premier Icon jako
    Subscriber

Can’t believe no one has asked – what bike is it?

Subscriber

Laverack J.Ack Disc

I had no idea they were relatively close to me.

Premier Icon jako
    Subscriber

Lovely

Subscriber

Lovely, but quite a bit more than equivalent spec Enigma

Aidy

Is it just me, or there now about a thousand variants on the theme of titanium all day disc road/gravel/adventure bike?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.