Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fancy a road bike – help please
  • ljs1977
    Free Member

I know what type, material and spec bike I want but what is confusing me about road bikes is the accepted norm of having a Sunday best.

When I bought my MTB I bought the bike I wanted which matched my style and routes but spent quite a bit.

I can only afford one bike at a time, but I do like nice bikes.

I would feel some what aggrieved riding a £400 hack with a wicked £2000 bike in the garage.

What is he wattling on about, well is there such a thing as a Sunday best all year round bike?

psling
    Free Member

Isn’t it more a case of having a winter trainer so that your racer doesn’t get spoilt by all the muck, grime & road detritus?

Lifer
    Free Member

In other words you can only afford one expensive bike at a time…

ljs1977
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s the idea.

But I’m asking is there a good / Sunday best which will stand upto the winter?

chakaping
    Free Member

just check that the bike you want takes raceblades, if it doesn’t have eyelets for full guards

psling
    Free Member

Well, I only have one road bike; it has clearance for mudguards and slightly fatter tyres. I wash it occasionally and keep it maintained. I ride it all year round but I don’t race it. At the end of the day, you choose what you want and if one bike is enough then one bike is enough. You can only ride one at a time. Having said that, I have several mountain bikes…

ian martin
    Free Member

Back in the day your ‘winter trainer’ would be a fixie hack bike, but now people’s second bike is quite decent.
    Roadies do like a nice clean sparkly bike so won’t ride their best bike unless the weathers good. If Mountain bikers did we’d never ride our good bike.
    Get as good a bike as you can afford because road bike componants last longer than mountain bike components do just be prepared to clean your bike more often (the sound of a dirty, gritty drivetrain train and brakes is really annoying).

aa
    Free Member

sounds like a cielo, a robin mather or that type of build to me! Well made, desirable, year round bikes.

mooman
    Free Member

As already said. The winter bike will take some abuse from the wet/salt winter roads. It will take its toll on components & paintwork. The 1st ride on the summer bike is nice too after all winter on a bike 5-6lb heavier.

hairybiker84
    Free Member

Cannondale Synapse – enough clearance and eyes to fit mudguards. Get a set of nicer wheels for summer or stronger wheels for winter, job done. I bought an Alloy 105 and love it, have no compulsion for a Sunday best (or at least not too much hankering for a Colnago!).

MrSmith
    Free Member

But I’m asking is there a good / Sunday best which will stand upto the winter?

All bikes stand up to winter, I manage o.k. with my pegoretti, I just fit raceblades and get on with it.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I have titanium training bike which used to be my Sunday best bike. I also have a Carbon Scott CR1 which is now my Sunday best bike which mainly gets used for sportives and special rides.

I put several thousand miles into my training bike every year and most of the componentry on it is functional rather than expensive. It is so nice when I do ride the Scott because the higher spec. and lighter weight is so noticeable.

You could argue that I should ride the Scott all the time and just replace bits as they wear out but it is also useful to have a spare bike in my opinion. The training bike has been off the road for a few weeks at times for various reasons and so it is useful to have another bike when that happens.

I have tried both ways and personally I would always go for the £400 hack and best bike approach because there is nothing worse than riding your £2000+ bike on Winter roads covered in salt and seeing it slowly ground away.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I bought myself a Sunday Best road bike a couple of months back, I’ve spent the first 3 months of this year being treated for cancer and I think I deserved a treat. I now have to get fit to try and justify it. 😉

TiRed

I have a best bike with best wheels for club rides, sportives, and masters racing. I bought a used race bike for racing/crashing and winter. I ride a fixed wheel with full mudguards in the winter and bad weather.

Depending on budget, a decent alloy road bike such as a CAAD8 or Defy will do both. They can both take mudguards for winter, and with a change of wheels feel pretty special come summer. Just depends on how much you will ride.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fancy a road bike – help please’ is closed to new replies.