Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fancy a parachute jump for Help the Heroes?
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

This appeared in my local (Leek) paper the other day. I’m going to sign up but the organisers need a few more takers before the end of the month. Please forgive the copy and paste 🙂

A chance to complete a parachute jump with members of the Red Devils is on offer at an event being organised by two Leek women to raise funds for Help for Heroes.

Irene Knight’s son, Allan Jackson, lost a leg when he stood on an explosive device in Afghanistan in February 2011. The family has since been supported by Help for Heroes. Irene has now teamed up with Helen Fox, whose 23-year-old son is in the Army, in organising the fund-raising effort, which will take place at Langar Airfield in Nottingham on Thursday, May 9.

However to get the Red Devils to take part in the event, entitled Falling for the Fallen, the two women have to get at least 20 people registered before the end of this month.

Mrs Knights said: “It has taken a lot of organising to get the Red Devils to jump with us. The first 20 people we can register will jump with a member of the team.

“This is a great opportunity for people and at the same time raise funds to help injured soldiers.
    “We presently have nine people registered so I would like to hear from anyone who is interested in taking part.
    “We are looking to arrange transport and also have a photographer present so people will have something to remember their day.”

Mrs Knights said she wanted to repay Help for Heroes for its support over a traumatic two years for the family. She said: “You hear on the news when a soldier is killed. What you do not hear is about the hundreds of soldiers who have lost limbs and need help to readjust their lives.

“Allan stood on an IAD in Afghanistan and he lost his right leg and injured both arms. People do not realise what an effect it has on the family. It changes your life.”

Allan, aged 30, along with his wife Naomi and five-year-old daughter, are stationed in Colchester, where he now works for the Army supporting injured soldiers and their families. Naomi, aged 31, has registered to take part in the parachute jump.

Contact Irene on 07429 669442 or Helen on 07971 523760.

EDIT – if you just wish to donate visit http://www.bmycharity.com/fallingforthefallen

1981miked
    Free Member

Yeah I’d be up for that…. Is it to late to txt to express an interest?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Hi

I’ve just spoken with Helen and she has been laid up in bed today, so I woke her up 😳 I’ve no idea how much response this thread will get, so if you want to get in there first go for it.

1981miked
    Free Member

Hi mate,

I just emailed her, I live in Dundee and have suggested that I could maybe raise some more cash by cycling down.. Bit sure of the finer details yet or if it is even possible but food for thought.

I am a huge supporter of this charity and have wanted to do something to show my support for a while. Perhaps this is the motivation I need. I have a couple of ideas aswell so will maybe get some advice from Helen etc on how easy or difficult it could be to organise.. Seeing as they have ongoing experience.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

How much would you need to raise?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The tandem skydive costs £320 so I think the idea is to raise at least £500 each.

1981miked
    Free Member

That’s perfectly doable I reckon.

Have emailed my brother, he may be up for it aswell.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Excellent. I’d better hurry up and formally sign myself up before the places run out 🙂

1981miked
    Free Member

Yeah I’d say ud better.. Hopefully see u there.

Feel free to email me on mikedonald@hotmaildotcom to let me know how ur getting on and if you manage to register in time..

Cougar

Back when I was throwing myself out of planes, in order to to skydive for charity at least 50% of what you raise has to go to the charity. So if the drop is £320 and you raise £500, you’ll have to sub £70 out of your own pocket. Might have changed since then though, it was a while ago.

Keep us posted and, seriously, if you’re umm-ing and aah-ing about it, just do it. Without the slightest whiff of hyperbole, I guarantee there is absolutely nothing like it.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I agree Cougar. This is something I’ve always wanted to do and I don’t expect it for free.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Friday morning bump.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fancy a parachute jump for Help the Heroes?’ is closed to new replies.