Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fancy a change
  • qtip

I normally ride natural trails in the Peaks but fancy a bit of a change this weekend so thinking of heading to a trail centre. What would your recommendation be for somewhere within 2 hrs of West Yorkshire (Marsden to be precise). Ideally I prefer a few climbs and descents, rather than contouring stuff like Cannock Chase. Fireroads are acceptable for gaining elevation. Currently thinking of trying Gisburn, is that a good option or would I be better off elsewhere?

Stevelol
    Free Member

Gisburn is very contoury as there’s little in the way of climbing and descending. But the trails are still great.

Losidan
    Free Member

Is Gisburn the one with “hully gully”? I would love a bezz through that

johnellison
    Free Member

I normally ride natural trails in the Peaks but fancy a bit of a change this weekend so thinking of heading to a trail centre.

Why waste your time going to a trail centre? Especially one in this neck of the woods?

You’ve got Calderdale (Todmorden/Hebden Bridge/Halifax area) and the South Pennines within 30 minutes; Southern Yorkshire Dales within and hour and a half; and the Lakes within 2 hours. So much more variety, no groms to deal with, and miles and miles of some of the best trails in the country. And it’s free too.

qtip

Hmm, I find contouring annoying as I don’t yet have a dropper post and hate descending with post up/climbing out of the saddle.

What’s Dalby like? A bit of internet searching suggests it’s a bit of a mile muncher without too many interesting bits.

qtip

I agree John, and normally that’s what I’d do. However, like I said, I fancy something a little different and there’s certain man-made features that you just don’t find au natural. Also, I fancy riding somewhere new but where I don’t have to worry about navigation.

ThePinkster

Is Gisburn the one with “hully gully”? I would love a bezz through that

Yep. I wouldn’t travel all the way there just for Hully Gully though. It’s good fun but not very long.

mrblobby
    Free Member

What’s Dalby like? A bit of internet searching suggests it’s a bit of a mile muncher without too many interesting bits.

It is. Second half is probably better than the first. Better in the dry too. Always seems to be a stupid uphill hairpin just when you’re starting to get some good flow. Did it off the back of a week at Glentress and in comparison it was not much fun.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

im not sure Huly gully is worth the doing the north loop for any more, not with home baked, hope line and swoopy all on the lower section..? not unless your doing the leap of faith n’all that malarkey. used to be we only ever did just the top loop.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

What’s Dalby like? A bit of internet searching suggests it’s a bit of a mile muncher without too many interesting bits

Its worth going to, but 9 out 10 reviews are from the “never ride a trail center its not mountain biking you should stick to golf, brigade”

There has been a few new features put in, and if you mix the bits of black it’ll be a good ride. I also think its in pretty good condition at the moment.

I think its one of the better northern England trail centers, but i personally enjoy Whinlatter more. A lot more climbing there. There are plenty of climbs at Dalby but all pretty short.

flyingmonkeycorps

I like Gisburn, but it’s definitely contoury. What about Lee Quarry or Stainburn? Both more “sessiony” but good fun. Or you could probably get to Llandegla in less than a couple of hours, that seems to be pretty highly rated.

Not a huge fan of Dalby myself, it’s one to smash round as quickly as possible rather than to play on the descents, put it that way.

You could also hit Grizedale in around 2 hours I reckon, which I wouldn’t recommend for just the trailcentre, but mix it up with some of the natural descents in the area too and you’re onto a winner.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I think its one of the better northern England trail centers, but i personally enjoy Whinlatter more. A lot more climbing there. There are plenty of climbs at Dalby but all pretty short.

Whinlatter is great, go there instead!

The black bits (at least the ones on the WC XC course) at Dalby can be quite tricky in the wet. Didn’t get to do them last time I rode there when they did the Dalby Dare as marshals were too busy stretchering people off them!

qtip

Already done Whinlatter and Llandegla. Loved them both (Whinlatter more so) but looking to try somewhere new, although I’ve not been to Llandegla since they added the newer stuff so it might be worth a revisit.

Cheers for all the info so far.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fancy a change’ is closed to new replies.