Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Family/Trailer routes in Cornwall.
  • Ben_mw

Taking the bikes and little Miss _mw’s trailer on holiday to Cornwall next week and looking for some ideas for rides.
    Staying just South of St Austell and it looks like we’ll have at least one off road trail on our doorstep (the Pentewan trail, NCR3) and am looking for any other ideas. Like the look of the Camel trail a bit further North and also I reckon we can ride to the Eden project, although this appears to be on road through St Austell – any one have an idea how busy that is? I’ve never taken the trailer on a road yet, and really don’t want to be playing with heavy traffic.
    Cardinham woods seem pretty close too, but I can’t really work out what is there. Any suggestions much appreciated. Ta very much.

creaser
    Free Member

Camel trail is good, park at the opposite end to Padstow as the car parks get busy and you’ll get the head wind on the way out

hugor
    Free Member

Camel trail from Padstow to Wadebridge is very nice. It gets a bit dull after that.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Blue and red routes are currently under construction in Cardinham (early days) but there’s plenty of fire road riding around a fairly steep valley. It’s nice but not huge.

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

I’d avoid the run to the Eden project on road via St Austell – yes its busy! there are a bunch of sustrans trails intending to link up the Eden project (and you get money off and fast track entry by arriving by bike – hurrah) but I don’t know if the St Austell part has opened yet. Tourist info should know.

Lots of lovely lanes to explore and plenty of good destinations other than the Eden Project to ride to. It can get steep in places as you plunge to the sea and winch back up!

Fab descent into Mevagissey off road from the Lost Gardens of Heligan – challenging road climb back out too!

Enjoy!

TM

dadster21
    Free Member

Cardinham has some good stuff – also Bishops Woods and Hustyns woods near Wadebridge (just off the Camel Trail between Wadebridge and Bodmin).

Ben_mw

Thanks for all the info.

Fab descent into Mevagissey off road from the Lost Gardens of Heligan

Is that on the Sustrans trail, or a Bridleway?

Cardinham – is that just a case of exploring, or are there routes to follow? FC website doesn’t help much!

Have also found reference to the Fal River Ride, but only on the website of the ferry company, anyone have any more info on that?

spacemonkey

I’ve never taken the trailer on a road yet, and really don’t want to be playing with heavy traffic.

I felt the same when picking up our trailer a few weeks ago. But soon realised that you’re not gonna travel very far in these parts (Surrey Hills) unless you 1) use the roads/pavements or 2) buy that top end German £1100 trailer with better suspension for harder off-road use.

No issues with pavements so far – only drop down to using the roads where “absolutely necessary”. Won’t touch really busy stretches of any A roads though.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Cardinham – is that just a case of exploring, or are there routes to follow?

There are posted routes. Some marked diversions around stockpiled stone but you can get around these if you’re careful.

orena45

Links to family cycle trail leaflets HERE

Sustrans Clay Trails leaflet HERE

trb
    Free Member

cardinham is a lovely spot

Clay trails are on your doorstep
    http://www.claytrails.co.uk/

Mineral tramways are down west and very nice (good cafe / bike shop)
    http://www.cornwallcyclehire.com/

Goss moor trail is very low key but also very flat, traffic free and it goes close to the world renowned “Gnome world”
    http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=13487

Camel trail is busy down the padstow end so I’d start at wadebridge and head up to Bodmin and on up onto the moor. Drop into the Camel valley Vineyard up near bodmin.

Ben_mw

Thanks very much for all the links, a fair bit of reading material there!
    Hopefully we’ll be blessed with sunny skies and plenty of energy to go exploring.

dadster21
    Free Member

If you are stuck for ideas to do – this is a quick vid I put together from my trip to Cornwall in April this year…

Cornwall 2012

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Family/Trailer routes in Cornwall.’ is closed to new replies.