Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Family trip to London over Christmas – where to stay and tube it in?
  • velocipede
    Free Member

Planning to have a few days in London over Christmas/New Year with wife and two teenage sons – just to “do the sights”….

Rather than stay in the centre and pay London hotel prices, I thought we might stay out of town and tube or train it in….

Any odeas on where to stay? We’ll be coming in from the North so M1 or M40…..want to leave the car at the hotel (free parking??) and not be a huge distance out….

Any tips??

russianbob
    Free Member

What’s your hotel budget?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Travelodge whetstone N20
    northern Line in 30 mins to centre

easy end of post…

globalti
    Free Member

We stayed at Park Plaza County Hall last summer, which was well positioned and affordable at that time. Dunno what it costs now.

You MUST go and try the best food in London at Maroush Lebanese on Edgeware Road. Here: http://www.maroush.com/restaurants-london

Do NOT stay at a Travelodge.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Do NOT stay at a Travelodge.

Why ? do as they say on the tin

kimbers

Brentford !!

yeah I know its not the greatest (i live there) but the holiday inn has a nice view over the old dock
    theres even a travel lodge

Its on the river, kew just over the water, richmond is a bus ride away and waterloo is 25 minutes on the overground

and brentford tandoori is yummy!

blurty

Premier inn at King’s cross is nice. Quite new and central. £70 per room per night.

Travelodges are dumps in my experience, Tripadvisor is normally a good source of advice if you have a specific one in mind though.

gwj72
    Free Member

East finchley / Highgate is easy to get to (almost straight off M1) and tube in to city is easy and quick. I used to stay there when working in the centre to get a quick getaway in the car.

zippykona

Can’t go wrong with a premier inn.

djglover
    Free Member

I would not stay in any travel lodge in the SE, based on previous experience.. hot, too basic, and full of noisy feckers!

I would however consider a half decent room above a pub within a 25 minute tube ride of the centre.

The Foresters Arms in Ealing is OK for this, and I have used it since I moved out of London. The only critism I had was that the curtains were not lined, other than that it was cheap and cheerful, but with good food

wrightyson
    Free Member

Stevenage?

senorj

I’d second Stevenage ( if coming from the north ).
    35 mins to Kings Cross , late trains back.
    When we have work do’s , I stay at holiday inn express which is ok.

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

Hanger Lane Premier Inn, 100m from tube station, car parking at £6/day on site. used it a couple of times now.

redstripe
    Free Member

agree travel lodges are crap, premier inns much better or Ibis at Euston ok too and easy to get everywhere

hilldodger
    Free Member

Severe disruption to mainline rail into London over the holiday period due to engineering, check before you travel.

witty.name
    Free Member

We stop at premier inn at harrow about junction 3 or 4 off the M1. Free parking with tube station across the road, about 40 mins to picadilly circus without changing trains. Piece o piss

Sandwich

There was a Premier Inn or Travel Lodge offer of £20 per a night over Christmastime. There is one close to the Heron Tower a short walk from Liverpool Street that will be quiet. (City is like the grave outside trading time).

As a plus there’s a lot of sights that are walkable from there too, so no tube fare to pay.

geoffj

Premier Inns are nicer, with commensurate prices.

A few of the Travelodges I’ve stayed it over the past few months have been refurbed with bigger comfier beds and brighter decor.

The last one was Vauxhall and was pretty good for central London.

For out of town I tend to use Epsom, but that isn’t really much use if you’re travelling from the north.

Ashley
    Free Member

check out marlin apartments. We have used them before and find it far easier sorting out our own food etc and having bedrooms is nice with the older children.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Family trip to London over Christmas – where to stay and tube it in?’ is closed to new replies.