Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Family trip to Ireland – STW travel advisors do your thing.
  • paul4stones

We’re crossing to Larne and plan to go to the Titanic museum in Belfast then we’ve got a cottage booked in Connemara for a week starting a few days later. There was a recent thread that had several recommendations but all advice on where we should go and what we should see welcome. We will have bikes and walking boots.

Also, what is the right of way like? Is it like Scotland or the rest of the UK. Wild camping – ok or not?

Cheers!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Where are you in Connemara? I’d recommend heading to Letterfrack and walk in the National Park there. There’s an excellent 2 hour (or so) walk around the Diamond mountain – unrivalled views from the top right over the 12 Bens and across Renvyle and out sea. Renvyle House will do you some good food, too. You’ll pass the White Strand on your way (signpost just says ‘the beach’!) – that’s a beautiful short walk assuming the tide is out; it’s a clamber over stones if it’s in. Ask for directions to Lettergesh beach. That’s around the peninsula and is another beautiful spot.

Saccades
    Free Member

Very, very few rights of way in Ireland. MTB trails are starting to proliferate. I’m s. Dublin based and know almost nothing about Mtb in Belfast or Connemara.

This your first trip?

freddyblack
    Free Member

Check out this family friendly trail with possible bike hire: http://www.derrouramountainbikehire.com

jimjam
    Free Member

Saccades – Member
    Very, very few rights of way in Ireland.

And yet I have five right by my house.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Without wanting to be negative, I should add that Connemara is a Lyme Disease hot spot. If you’re walking the heath paths, take good care.

paul4stones

Thanks for that. We’re going to ‘Leam East’ 7km from Oughterard if that means anything to you three fish.

I’ve been to Donegal before but 20+ years ago and I’ve cycled round the north, Antrim coast etc in the late 80s.

I’ll take the tick twister and some doxycycline then!

ElVino

A few things I like in that area
    Derroura MTB trails not bad for a trail centre.
    Drive across the beach to Omey Island but watch the tides carefully as you can get cut off easily.
    Take Sky road from Clifden – cycle or drive
    Take ferry to to Inishbofin from Cleggan pier, not sure if bikes allowed but check
    Visit Westport in Mayo and walk up Croagh Patrick

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Oughterard is probably on the outer edge of Connemara, you’ll really need to push further west towards Roundstone, Clifden and Letterfrack if you want the really outstanding scenery. It’s about 35-40 minutes out to the National Park from Oughterard. You could stay on the N59 to Clifden and circle around into Letterfrack, or hook onto the R344 (stunning views, but bumpy tarmac) just past Recess and get to Letterfrack/Renvyle before carrying on to Clifden. If you hover on Google maps that’ll become clear.

tony07
    Free Member

Go from Larne to Belfast. Then out to strangford. Get the ferry over to portaferry. Camp at castle ward or de Lamont. Then down to the mournes. Camp around castlewellan or kilbroney. Head on down the east coast towards Dublin. Plenty to see along the way. Then across to Galway next day would be my suggestion.

paul4stones

Well that was ‘interesting’

Firstly thanks to those with suggestions – some were very helpful, some may be in the future!

We crossed as planned and went to the Titanic museum (very good); walked in the Mournes, camped at Castlewellan (thanks tony07). The weather was alternately lovely and horrible as I remember from 1988 but we travelled when it was wet ending up in St Angela’s college accommodation near Sligo for a couple of nights. So far so good.

As we drove into Oughterard on the Friday night the van started sounding like the cast of Monty Python were making galloping noises with coconuts in the gearbox…Long story short we needed and new clutch and gearbox…

Our cottage was 5 miles out of Oughterard, 4 miles on a busy road, 1 mile straight up to a dead end. The cottage was lovely but had no Wifi (we knew this), no TV (it should have) and we had to boil the water (we didn’t know this). Luckily we had bikes but the weather was mixed to say the least. There was some serious flooding further north and all the rain turned our water brown. After 3-4 days we all had bad guts. It’s not easy carrying lots of bottled water on a bike. However, we bussed into Galway one day; the Derroura MTB trail was 3 miles away; we had a big family cycle one day and read loads of books. One day my son and I had a run out on the hills behind the house – no map, no path, no RoW but no visibility so we felt we’d get away with it 😉

The new gearbox didn’t arrive until Friday lunchtime. Fortunately we were allowed to stay in the house another day which was as well because the van wasn’t ready until 8.30pm. Massive thanks to Connemara Motors for fixing it.

Saturday was gorgeous so we drove round, in our silky smooth van, all the bits we’d not seen including driving over to Omey Island (thanks threefish and El Vino) then scarpered towards Larne jut getting into a campsite before they shut the gate.

Got up Sunday morning, checked the paperwork for the ferry and realised I’d booked it for …..the day before! It’s such a relaxing place you lose track of which day it is! Luckily they let us on for another £20 and gave us a priority boarding 8)

Without exception all the people we met were absolutely lovely, really friendly, kind and helpful. The weather was unusual I think but even the glimpse on Saturday gave us an idea how scenic it is so maybe we’ll be back but perhaps when there are no fewer midges.

Thanks again.

Ireland ’17

ocrider

I missed this post first time around, so sorry for the late information.
    The ferry from Rossaveel to Inishmore (the big Aran Isle: 3 pubs!) accepts bikes, although for the real craggy island experience hire a rusty old Raleigh for a tenner on the Quay once on the island
    Derroura is the only official trail in the area, but there are cheeky options in Cong and Moycullen.
    Dogs bay is another beach to have a look at; aim for Roundstone and keep driving towards Canada!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Family trip to Ireland – STW travel advisors do your thing.’ is closed to new replies.