Family Tents

Home Forum Chat Forum Family Tents

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Family Tents
  • carbon337

What have you?

Post a pic and small review if you dont mind.

In an ideal world I want a one for 2 adults and a small child – but must have loads of living space and 2 bedrooms. Living space must be fully lined. Dont want streams coming through the thing.

I like covered entrances and not the flap with two vertical poles – there are hundreds of them available but all different.

I liked the Outland Montana 6 but i think thats too big to put up on my own with Mrs looking after the baby.

sweepy

Primus Bifrost H4, Bedroom at each end with large area in the middle, proper alloy poles, sturdy and light for its type, easy to put up.
    Took a bit of a beating in a force 8 on Lewis but not much of its size would have stood up in that.
    In my experience if you go much bigger you tend to not bother cos its such a faff,

Twin

Corado 6
    Can’t get the image to link. Great tent, loads of room, easy to put up (can be done by 1 person). Its on special offer from 14th March, well worth £250.
    Took it on a 2 week trip through France last summer, also had 4 days of very strong winds right on the coast in west Wales and it gave us no trouble.

yunki

Gelert Lakesbury 5

We’ve just bought one of these after a summer of music festivals and camping holidays last year..

There’s two of us and an 18month old (at the moment.. more to follow so I’m told).. we did a lot of family trips last year.. my little sister and her hubby used one of these with their 1 year old and 5 year old and we were dead jealous all summer.. so we’ve bought ourselves one and dumped our drafty old rattly thing..

It stood up to some horrendous weather and is a real bargain.. plenty of room and dead cosy..

seanoc

I’ve got a Soul Pad 4000-lite; beautiful looking tent but has functional drawbacks.

I bought it initially because it is huge and goes up in no time relying on very few discrete components. The sidewalls can be rolled up so it offers an excellent beach base/sun shade for long days by the sea (the ease of erecting makes it very convenient for this).

Functionally I miss a porch and the tapered peripheries mean that storage of tall objects at the sides is an issue. We’ve not had any water ingress through the fabric but pitching on flat, sodden ground would be an issue with the entry/exit.

I’d say it’s perfect for day pitching or the odd weekend; for a week long holiday I’d look elsewhere.

Premier Icon scholarsgate
    Subscriber

I have a montana 6 and you’re right, whilst it is an excellent tent with acres of space, it is a two person job to put it up.

I recommend having a look over on ukcampsites for reviews. You could also check the classified on the same for a bargain tent.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Have a look at Robens – their cabin 500 is brilliant;

[main thing to look out for] You *must* get a tent with dark cloth over the child sleeping area if your child is used to sleeping in a dark room. It gets light very early in the summer and tryign to amuse and keep quiet a small child for 3 hours in a tent until you can reaosnably make some noise is a nightmare.

We ended up sewing blackout blind material over the bit our kids slept in when they were little – got an extra 2-3 hours rest so well worth the effort.

Premier Icon DaveRambo
    Subscriber

I have a Montana 6 and can put it up myself – it took a few go’s but it’s not that hard once you work out how.

It’s a cracking tent – a bit on the expensive side if you don’t use it a lot but worth it IMO. I got the extension and carpet which make quite a difference I’d recommend them if you can afford.

carbon337

The Gelert Lakesbury 5 was on the list actually – I can add a canopy later if found we need more room.

Cheap as chips too – cant see whole camping weeks this year as she will only be about 7 months.

However if its raining its gona get wet inside with those doors.

Bimbler

I too have an Outwell Monstana 6, it’s a brilliant tent but it does need 2 to raise the tent, but that is just a small part of pitching – say 5-10 minutes, you could probably get away with it with a littlun.

After thinking about our need (me+partner + 2 kids) I think a more flexible approach would be a smaller 5 person type tent + a day tent like the outwell oaklahoma.

I got emailed about these Vango airsbeam blow up tents, check the video on the link. Expensive though however surfing round prices have gone a bit bonkers – much like everything else I suppose.

JonW

+1 on the Montana. As Bimbler says only need a couple of mins help at lifting stage. Great with the extension and carpet.

Dolcered

2nd Go outdoors, they tend to have a lot of tents pitched and chairs etc inside.

We got a hi-gear mojave 5, i notice GO have the newer model which has fly sheets on all doors and windows. Ours is windowless, so very avatar like inside 🙂

Its not bad for pitching, but prob a 2 person task till you got used to it.

The family sized pop-up tents that decathlon do are brilliant.

uwe-r

We got one from Go – Outdoors.

It was a brand that they now sell under their own HI Gear label.

It is reasonable quality and they are good design / proportion and cheap.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/camping/tents/5-6-person-tents

stumpy01

Vango Orchy 600 with the Large Canopy they do aswell.

It’s great, although the dome might be a bit tricky to put up on your own.

Built in groundsheet, loads of living space, with sleeping bits at sloping rear. Plenty of ‘windows’. Only potential problem is that the ‘bedrooms’ are divided just with a piece of tent material held in about 6 places, they are not separate pods…..
    The large canopy gives a decent extra amount of space that we use to cook in – it also acts as a good porchway so you can get out of the rain (should it be doing so), open the tent & get in without soaking the inside & traipsing your muddy shoes inside….

Premier Icon scholarsgate
    Subscriber

DaveRambo,

How do manage to put a montana 6 up yourself?

Premier Icon DaveRambo
    Subscriber

How do manage to put a montana 6 up yourself?

OK a brief description, hopefully enough to get the idea.

Idea is to raise it from the rear, one section at a time – to about 60deg to start with. Then stretch the tent, adjust and peg out fully.

Prep.
    Layout the tent and make sure the doors and windows are open to allow air to get in more easily. Slacken off the straps where the poles attach at the bottom. Untie the ropes.

Peg out only the rear corners of the tent

Build up the poles and feed them through the sleeves. Insert the pins into the bottom of the rear poles – you can do the others but need the rear one to start with the others you can do when it’s up.
    Make sure the poles are all facing with the legs facing the front of the tent and are stretched out so there will be less weight on the rear part of the tent.

With a tent peg in hand, and rope untied, slowly pull up on the rear poles until you get it to about 45 to 60 degrees. That is not fully up. Do it slowly using your weight to allow the air to fill the tent. Peg it out at angle to hold the pole up. Nip around the other side and peg out the other pole.

If you haven’t already insert pole pins then, repeat for rear middle pole, should be easier as there is less weight and more air in the tent.

Then middle front – but use this to pull the rear two sections more vertical.
    Before you do the front poles peg out the rear ropes at the back windows so you don’t pull the whole thing over.

When you get to the front poles you should be able to pull it vertical.

You can then easily pull it properly adjust pole straps peg out etc

Next time I do it I’ll take some photos.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Family Tents’ is closed to new replies.