Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Family rides… are men egotists?
  • flowerpower
    Free Member

My bike is way nicer than my other halfs 🙂

I have a Whyte 19 trail with bling cobalt wheels, and a Commencal Meta for the occasional Alps trip.

Mr Flowerpower has a 2008 spec rockhopper.

Why is it that way around?? I ride more and have put more money into buying my bikes, he is a closet roadie and spends his money on his two girls…

Not sure its all to do with what sex you are… just how important you bike is to you.

fenred
    Free Member

I choose and paid for my bikes myself

Sue, will you marry me?

philconsequence
    Free Member

mrsconsequence chose and paid for her own bike, you can’t marry her though… unless you have something to trade?

Sue_W
    Free Member

fenred – only if you stay off the fags 😉

Actually, I love choosing bikes, and can happily spend hours in the local bike shop (… worries about lack of appropriate womanly behaviour …)

kayak23

iDave – Member
    Always see couples out for rides and the bloke is 20 yards in front. Consistently. Why not just delete the 20 yards and ride together?

For me, its because my GF refuses to ride in front down any trail despite my assurances that she is not spoiling my fun by slowing me down and despite the fact I tell her this isn’t the case. I also assure her I won’t come thundering up behind her.

Its very difficult to ride trails constantly looking over your shoulder to check she is on your tail, I feel I am going quite steadily and so as a consequence, she is ofetn lagging behind.

I had the same in Morzine. I insisted that she go first down tracks after our first runs so that if she did fall off or struggle, then I wouldn’t be at the bottom of the mountain unable to help.
    She wouldn’t hear of it and so I always had to go first. To be brutally honest, this did spoil my enjoyment a bit as I was stopping every hundred yards to check she was ok and couldn’t let things go.
    I’d much prefer she was in front, I could wait a bit, then go at my desired pace until I saw her, and then stop and wait a while longer.
    Safer, better (except for the times I fall off obviously)

Incidentally, My girlfriend has a fancy schmancy Lapierre Zesty 314 with added pink bits, I just ride a Giant……. 😕

fenred
    Free Member

Phil, I’ll happily discuss a part exchange deal or a wkend trial with my GF and her Hardrock…S’long as you promise NOT to give her your medusa stare whilst executing a totally rad standing skiddy…Got 3 kids between us, production line is now decommisioned.

Sue, motivation indeed!

D0NK

if i let her stop for a breather or some liquid, i’m doing her a disservice by not encouraging her to build up her endurance.

medical FACT.I use this tactic when riding with friends who have been neglecting their bikes of late and their fitness has dropped, the sooner they get back up to speed the better for all concerned 🙂

If my mrs properly got into mountain biking I wouldn’t mind spending a wedge on her bike, however what’s likely to happen is when the boys are old enough she’ll accompany us on a flat well surfaced loop round a lake or sommat on the 1 nice summer weekend we get a year. Besides the colour will be much more important than the bikes spec. FACT (as they say)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I was watching the start of the Cooker 29 video and about to reply, “Of course not, look at the lady at the front on this video,”…the one in the nice magenta top.

And then the camera shows her face….with a beard!!!

camo16
    Free Member

Tis true, there are mitigating factors alright…

But is it ethically correct for a guy to whack the Singletrack on his fancy schmancy full-suss while the Mrs/GF is struggling on her Trax with the trailer bike tag-a-long attachment?

Suppose the Mrs/GF does catch up eventually, does she really want to hear “well I’m way sicker, radder and gnarlier than you, sweet-cheeks”?

thebunk

It’s amazing that guys will let their OH go on a ride on a POS that they wouldn’t get anywhere near. Having a heavy bike with pogo stick suspension and plastic tyres is a sure fire way of putting them off riding. If you can go riding together and she enjoys it, you get to go out more…

Interesting to hear about the different tactics for riding with a slower partner. Mrsbunk always sets off first now, so that I can find her when she’s over cooked a section and fallen off into the bushes. I count to 30-60 seconds then see how quickly I can catch up with her. This can get a bit frustrating as it tends to interrupt the flow a bit, but she’s getting faster…

nonk
    Free Member

sue spells it out perfectly does she not?
    surely if a posh bike is needed then she will know what she wants ant what the fek has it got to do with you anyway?

it is how it works in my house thats for sure, my mountain bike is nicer than hers but her road bike is way nicer than mine because thats how our priorities lie.

D0NK

Mrs/GF is struggling on her Trax with the trailer bike tag-a-long attachment?

didn’t say that in the OP, that is indeed bang out of order IMO – not in a sexist way you understand I’m sure women are equally capable of dragging tag alongs but the fitter more experienced regular cyclist (which we’re assuming the bloke is) should be doing the towing.

bikebouy
    Free Member

This happens a lot in the bikebouy household.. hahaha

It’s a rather good likeness of us that too.. Phah.

camo16
    Free Member

surely if a posh bike is needed then she will know what she wants ant what the fek has it got to do with you anyway?

Uh, don’t most families have joint bank accounts?

In which case the quality of a family member’s ride is a joint decision, no?

That’s the way it is in the 16 household and – I’m guessing – in many others too.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

His bikes are nicer than my one, because I don’t have any interest in bike parts, or maintaining them, whatsoever. Having said that my bike is good enough that he’d still steal it if he could fit it. This is why he has lots of shiny parts and I have lots of money 😐

fenred
    Free Member

But is it ethically correct for a guy to whack the Singletrack on his fancy schmancy full-suss while the Mrs/GF is struggling on her Trax with the trailer bike tag-a-long attachment?

Camo, absolutely this is not right on any level! However there’s no chance of me ever clamping that HUGE tag-a-long bracket around my lovely Thomson seatpost when she has a crappy stock oem jobby that welcomes gargantuan hunks of scratchy metai with open arms 😉

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Jude (mrs mitch) isnt really that bothered about ‘stuff’ (bloody hippy), and wasnt really into bikes until we had a family day out at Clumber Park a couple of years ago and all hired bikes / trailers, etc.
    She then wanted to buy herself a bike, but was quite happy to go for a cheap model from Halfords. That’s when my own snobbery kicked in, and I persuaded her to get a nice Cannondale hardtail. She has since (reluctantly) admitted that she prefers and can tell a real difference between her bike and the one she hired at Clumber, but I suspect that without my interference / influence, she would have been just as happy with a cheaper model. As far as riding off in front goes, I usually have a trailer attached to my bike, so am quite happy to potter, and riding behind Jude, who, it has to be said, has a particularly nice bottom, is hardly a hardship. 😀

nonk
    Free Member

the point was a simple one 16
    if she knows what she wants the conversation will go along the lines of this i ride as much as you and would like a bike like yours?

no darling this is a joint decision and you are not having it?

she can get what she wants. 🙄

Sue_W
    Free Member

Uh, don’t most families have joint bank accounts?

I guess I wasn’t trying to comment on how different couples should decide on expenditure (another often heated debate!), but to say that when I have wanted a bike (or camera, car etc etc) that I have thought about what I want myself. Part of that is listening to the opinions of others who know more, but in the end making the choice myself. In some ways that’s easy as we had a joint account for all shared costs, and then our ‘own’ money for spending on anything we liked. But I would no more tell him what bike to get than he would tell me.

Barsleymitch – ah yes, following a nice bottom! I think I might remain riding slower than most chaps … 🙂

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I like to think of it as the Simon F Barnes legacy!

nonk
    Free Member

sue delivers the point far better than i do but it’s about the same i think. 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

I told my wife if her assessment for this year goes well, then I’ll let her have a nice bike.

Sadly she’s not achieved her performance objectives. Again.

I can’t be seen to be rewarding her for poor performance now can I?

binners

When we rode Passporte de soleile last year we saw this attitude taken to a ridiculous degree by a gang of French lads and one solitary girl.

It was obviously one of their GF’s. They were all on 6 inch all-mountain GNAAAAAAR. And Mr thoughtful had obviously said “why not come along. You can use my old bike”

This poor girl was on an old (and I mean old) GT Zaskar. V brakes, Judy’s,. I mean FFS! They went hooning off. She pottered off behind them

Can’t remember the name of the run. But its the one with the corkscrewing berms through the forest. Silly steep. As I was hooning down I saw her struggling in front of me, then just disappear off the top of one of the berms. A few of us stopped to see if she was ok. She wasn’t.

Her BF and his mates eventually came back. She was helicoptered off the mountain

****ing idiots!!!

camo16
    Free Member

This ^^^^^ is kind of where I was going with the OP, although it’s an extreme case.

Of course many women choose their own bikes. My point was merely observational. This year I’ve seen loads of women riding complete POS bikes next to their SO’s bling-bling sex-machines. That is all.

Many of the women seemed to be struggling with their POS bikes and putting a brave face on.

yunki
    Free Member

Her BF and his mates eventually came back. She was helicoptered off the mountain

maybe he’d gone off her and didn’t have the heart to say..

we can’t all be gentlemen you know..

camo16
    Free Member

It was only when the BF and mates realised that there was nobody there to applaud their sick moves 😉 that they sensed something was up.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

My wife still hasn’t forgiven me for insisting she buy a Hardtail bike with discs and all those confusing gears when she wanted something with a basket and a 3 speed hub. When she does go on any singletrack she will absolutely not go first…

cinnamon_girl

Jeez, no way could I put up with some bloke thinking he knew what bike would be best for me. 🙄 Sticks two fingers up at the ex Mr C_G, no cheap tat for me and yes it’s a Litespeed cos I’m worth it. 8)

Sue_W
    Free Member

Binners – blimey 😯

(Although Yunki – 😆 Sorry, shouldn’t laugh, not funny …)

I guess what you’re saying is that there seems to be a lot of guys sticking girls on basic bikes on unsuitable terrain, which either puts them at risk of injury or is likely to leave them struggling to keep up.

Both of which probably puts them off biking altogether!

So why do some guys do it? (Obviously not you lot who are all either lovely or AWESOME!) And why do they ride off leaving someone who’s not as good as them struggling to keep up? Is it cos they don’t care? Only think of themselves? Or don’t think at all?

I think there needs to be more of a focus on appreciating girls on bling bikes and admiring from behind (Not that I’m feeling unappreciated or anything …)

Edit – c_g: yey!

camo16
    Free Member

I think there needs to be more of a focus on appreciating girls on bling bikes and admiring from behind

I think that’s something we can agree on, Sue!

Mrs 16, BTW, has asked for a Carrera Kraken. So that’s what we’re saving for…

nacho
    Free Member

For mountain biking the OP is talking about me! If we go for a ride off road (Mrsnacho hates roots and rocks so tow paths, green runs only) with the kids, I will be on my nice Whyte 19 she will be on her old Spesh hardrock with the trailer and kids. Sometimes we may swap bikes if it’s a steep hill or she fancies a break.
    BUT if we were on the road I would attach the trailer and kids to my old Gary Fisher Kai Tai 29er hybrid jobby whilst she showed off on her new bling £1000+ Trek WS road bike.

thebunk

Mrs 16

You do know how wrong that sounds?

Also, a Kraken was my first mtb. I swear it tried to kill me several times – they’re evil.

camo16
    Free Member

Mrs 16

You do know how wrong that sounds?

Uh-huh. 😳

Also, a Kraken was my first mtb. I swear it tried to kill me several times – they’re evil.

This could end in tears. I sense a “what ladies’ hardtail” thread coming on… for advice purposes only, you understand. 😉

GW
    Free Member

I still ride the mothers of my childrens’ bikes (bought by me) more than they do despite not living with them.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I don’t think the hubby / dad is being an egotist. Perhaps he just can’t resist the temptation to demonstrate his fitness / skill while all the family are together. In some way to show something for all those hours spent riding and fettling.

This is just an opinion – I don’t have kids and Mrs. S doesn’t ride.

glenh
    Free Member

MrsH has more bikes than me and they are all better than mine too. 🙁

carlosg
    Free Member

So, does your other half ride a worse bike than you

Mrs carlos has 2 bikes.A Cannondale F700 from around ’02 and a ladies Raliegh tourer. When we bought her main bike we had a budget of £1700 and she liked the ‘Dale best out of the 20 or so bikes she tried out (at the time the F700 was £1250).

My bikes are an ’00 P7 and an ’06 Spesh sx trail , both were bought as frames only and built for their intended purposes ,i.e. riding everywhere and riding mostly down.

I wouldn’t say theres a massive performance difference in the 2 hardtails despite the better spec being on my bike.One of the main criteria for me was that we wouldn’t buy her a bike that I wasn’t prepared to ride myself(and get a kicking for the day she got home early and caught me playing trials in the garden on it 😳 )

cr500dom
    Free Member

Mrs Dom has a Giant HT that she chose, its been tweaked to fit her better, with Saddle / stem changes now.
    I also fitted a pair of Reba Teams to replace the dreadful Rock hard Dart3`s.
    Whilst the time spent setting them up wasn`t understood or appreciated at the time, as soon as we went on our first ride afterwards she was a very happy, smiley person !!
    It also gets tyres appropriate to what she`s doing with it too….

TBH its been used a handful of times due to Juniors arrival but I`m happy that my OH has a nice bike to ride when needed, I work on the principle, that the easier/nicer the bike is to ride, the more she will enjoy it and consequently want to do more of it.

I do have more / better specced bikes but then I ride a lot more too.
    I would be happy riding my other halfs bike any day (And its great for just messing about in the street on) so I often do 😀

clubber
    Free Member

I stole Mrs Clubber’s tyres off her bike this morning. Mind you they’re slicks and she’s pregnant and hasn’t ridden her bike more than four times a year for the last few years by my reckoning 🙂 She did love it when I gave the bike to her to replace the Raleigh barge that she could barely lift up the stairs to our flat… (that was 2001ish IIRC so clearly she’s having to make do with her bike compared to mine)

As to the blokes who ride with their much slower wives/gf/bf/whoever and race off, I just read it as insecurity and a need to prove their worth to themselves. YMMV.

scaredypants

my wife has a marin east peak FS with 20mm psylo fork on the front

I’m just off to mumsnet to see what penance I should undertake 😳

(she does have hydraulic brakes though, and I don’t)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Family rides… are men egotists?’ is closed to new replies.