Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Family Jimny
  • reeksy

I’m driving 20,000 kms/year in a diesel 4×4 ute (pickup) in Australia. The vast majority of it is an 80km round trip to work (via MTB park).

The reason we have the 4×4 is to carry two weeks’ worth of camping gear, family of four and three bikes. We can do this all without towing. And yes, the 4X4 high clearance is required.

SWMBO has suggested a latest generation Jimny would do the commuting and bike carrying adequately, and we can build or buy a trailer for the occasional trips.

I know the emissions reg’s have killed off the Jimny in Europe, but there’s no regulation in Oz and I can’t find anything available that would do the job with lower fuel consumption here.

Anyone tried something similar with a Jimny? Or any other ideas?

b230ftw
    Free Member

I would say the Jimny is quite small inside and wouldn’t be great for 4 people on a long trip, it’s a tiny car really. I consider it to be a practical 2 seater myself.

dovebiker

I really hankered for one, but they were imported in very limited numbers into the UK and used ones were selling at a 20% premium over showroom price so I bought a Vitara 4×4 instead. Just to rub it in, when I went to collect the Vitara at the dealer, it was parked next to a Jimny.

neilco
    Free Member

What’s driving the change from what you’ve got? The cheapest / most environmentally friendly car is usually the one you already have.

Back on topic… I’d love a Jimny but not as a family car. Yes you could tow your stuff when needed but I can’t imagine that 1.6 engine and light weight will make a great tow vehicle. Also can’t see the back seats being particularly practical for anything other than short trips, plus there’s very little luggage space with the seats up. It’s hard to see this as the right solution for you.

doomanic

Buy the wife the cute little soft roader she clearly wants but keep the Ute.

reeksy

The wife buys her own cars 😛 and has a nice 5-door Mini Cooper which does all the day to day trips no problem.

We really just want to reduce fuel use ($ and emissions) but retain some practicality.

We had a diesel Vitara before the ute but it was the only lemon i’ve ever owned. Utter disaster. Defender before that was awesome but with two kids under 3 years old it was impossible to communicate with them on the highway because of the background noise and that used more fuel than the current vehicle.

RustyNissanPrairie

I’m driving 20,000 kms/year in a diesel 4×4 ute (pickup) in Australia.

Toyota 79series Troopy.

End of discussion otherwise I’ll inform immigration about talk of Jimny’s and have you deported.

(although my bro lives in Oz and drives a Yaris🙁)

RustyNissanPrairie

My bro also has a Mitsubishi Outlander, it’s an older one they’ve had from new and it’s been utterly bulletproof despite having two kids grow up with it.
    It does long roadtrips upto the family cattle farm and a little gently off-road when it’s there.
    Bigger than a Jimny which is really a bit too small for family duties.
    Just had a quick look and new ones have 10 year warranty.
    Good friend’s of ours had a previous shape Jimny – it was unrefined and slow on motorways, No way would I do a 80km commute in it.

matt_outandabout

A colleague had one of the older ones.

Great little car for what it was. But it wasn’t big, wasn’t comfy on longer journeys and only really came into its own through the few days of snow we had a year.

How much proper off road are you doing?

If you’re not weekly on ‘proper’ offroad there’s better family car 4wd choices such as some of the Subaru’s and I suspect you will have some of the JDM cars we don’t that have part time 4wd.

reeksy

I’d rather eat a Bunning’s Snag than own a Troopy. Stinky things.

Outlander not much better fuel, but far less luggage space. However you reminded me of the hybrid version… Might be worth checking out.

Highway driving here is pretty different. Nothing over 110km outside Northern Territory anyway.

Subarus aren’t 4×4, just AWD and not enough clearance. I couldn’t get up one of my mate’s driveways in one of them.

RustyNissanPrairie

My lottery win would be a 70th anniversary 70 Series – shipped over to the UK!

My bro has had Hilux 4×4 and 4×2 and a Mitsi Triton/L200. The 4×2 Hilux was his favourite as it ticked the utilitarian box but was okay on fuel – however it was a bit rubbish keeping up with inner west Sydney traffic hence the Yaris.
    Their Outlander is an older non PHEV so cant comment much further.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Hang on if the answer isn’t land cruiser it’s Kluger 😁

Actually the AWD klugers aren’t that bad, never got one stuck on site and always managed to follow the Ford rangers wherever they went…

poly
    Free Member

I know the emissions reg’s have killed off the Jimny in Europe, but there’s no regulation in Oz and I can’t find anything available that would do the job with lower fuel consumption here.

Is a 4×4 panda going too far? Fuel economy of the panda is nearly double the Jimny. Although I wouldn’t consider either a practical car for a family of 4 regularly transporting bikes.

Good to see the Aussies are leading the way on climate change given the massive Forrest fires etc you’ve had.

neilco
    Free Member

Actually, Prado is the answer. Adjust age and spec level to get price right. Fuel consumption not good but somewhat offset by longevity.

intheborders
    Free Member

Go drive a Jimny, and then let us know whether you could manage with one.

FWIW the only time I’ve driven them (older version) was as holiday hire cars in Barbados, and perfect (for 2 adults & a young child) – don’t think we passed 40 mph, and not sure I’d want to either.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have a Daihatsu Fourtrak which is similar but a bit larger so you might get away without the trailer.

Mine came with a fuel leak I didn’t spot at the time and cost £500 to rebuild 🙁

mrjmt
    Free Member

Those Toyota FJ things look pretty snazzy in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne…
    In all seriousness though, I was having a chat with a bloke that has one and he said it could do everything a land cruiser could plus some more with its shorter wheel base. They might be a good more daily useable alternative to the Jimny? No idea on cost / fuel etc though.
    I’m sure they also have suicide doors at the back!

mashr

You wouldn’t be planning on using the boot would you?

BadlyWiredDog

If you look up the Late Brake Show on YouTube there are a couple of videos about living with a current gen Jimny on a day-to-day basis. From memory it’s very small and not particularly practical for anything other than short journeys with two people.

They are quite cool looking though.

andy5390

Staying with Suzuki, what about a 4×4 Vitara

CountZero

They’re now available in the U.K., but as a commercial – they’ve simply taken the back seats out, so a practical two-seater with something approaching usable space in the back.
    Yes, Jinny’s have a horizontal opening rear hatch, which I happen to prefer, having belted my head on vertically opening hatches that didn’t open fully far too often!
    My current car has one, but it’s a Ford, and a bit bigger than the Jimny. Not a 4×4, though – that option was only available on the diesel version, mine’s petrol.
    Not driven one, we’ve had several in at work, so any driving is very limited indeed, a couple of hundred yards at most. Drove an older one about 150 miles or so, mostly motorway, and it was… ok; a wee bit cramped for someone nearly six foot, and the ride was quite choppy, but no more so than bigger 4×4 utes, like HiLux, Navarra, etc, all of which I’ve driven.
    Ford Ranger FTW, there.

mick_r

I think there is a 5 door Jimny on the way soon – Japan first I think so not a major leap for them to make it to Aus soon.

UK Jimny prices on Autotrader are crazy – £32k to £36k(!) so obviously a supply and demand thing where people that want one REALLY want one.

reeksy

@mashr – the point is that I don’t need space for luggage when i’m commuting without kids, just put the seats down if i need space.

… prices are bonkers here (but those UK prices are next level) List price was ~$30k but now 2nd hand are all pushing $40k. A mate (LBS owner) sold one after 18 months ownership and 60,000km for $10k more than he paid!

I’ve seen rumours of hybrid/turbo/5-door but nothing solid.

None of the other suggestions fit the unicorn profile of low fuel consumption, high clearance, 4X4. Might just have to wait for the electric tech to reach Australian 4X4s.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Had an original Jim for 16 years from new. Would still have it but for the 2 pages of MOT failure, all about rust.
    Bet the newer ones are more comfy if over complex.
    loved mine and never saw limitations apart from not being as commodious inside as the LWB defender I also had.

poolman
    Free Member

They were talking about the new jimney on smith and sniff podcast, I really like them but have never been in one. Anyway, I went in a jeep in the states, the renegade I think, looked fab on the driveway, absolute nightmare on tarmac all day, slow, noisy, corners like my Brompton with marathon pluses, ie, it doesn’t, felt every bump, deffo a lifestyle statement but never again.

reeksy

Found one local at a ridiculous price with v low mileage. Will try and take the family to test drive it and see what we think.

db

Toyota Prado 2.8 is surely the only answer (just called the Land Cruiser in the UK).

Looked at a Jimny commercial (2 seat van still solf in UK) the other day and there really is very little room. Would love one but will stick with my Skoda Fabia.

reeksy

Prado still uses too much fuel to make it worth swapping for the Triton… And it is diesel.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Family Jimny’ is closed to new replies.