Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Family holidays in Scotland – recommendations please
  • Farticus

Looking to book a family holiday in early July & fancy trying Scotland before I need a passport to get there.

Need a nice holiday cottage for 6 with lots to do (walking, sight-seeing etc., no need to be especially bike-friendly), no midges, no pikeys. Nearby Historic Scotland sites would be good as I get free access to them.

What’s recommended then?

brant
    Free Member

Had a nice week here in december.

http://www.cloudcuckoolodge.com/

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No midges? Avoid june – sept.

MussEd
    Free Member

Somwhere in East Lothian? North Berwick for example. With excellent rail links to Edinburgh,obviously loads of Historic Scotland sites to visit there.

Tantallon castle down the road is an amazing ruin to visit, right on cliffs overlooking the sea. Loads of nice beaches if you’re lucky with the weather{i.e no freezing North Easterly winds}

stucol
    Free Member

Aviemore/Coylumnbridge area is superb. Fantastic walking area with trails for the bike too.

Old castles etc a speciality. Whiskey trail and costal scenery all close at hand.

Tons of chalets and cottages to choose from.

Take a look.

Cheers

Farticus

Thanks all – keep ’em coming.

What’s the midget story with Scotland, then?

skidartist
    Free Member

Midge season is roughly June – September. Thats not to say that there are midges everywhere, all day, day after day. Midges are a problem mainly when/where its cal, still and damp. So when its sunny or breezy they’re not much of a problem. Its one of the reasons to head up into the hills, as its always too windy for them up there. Similarly on the coast the breeze is enough to give you some peace.

Sheltered, still, woody, damp areas are where you’ll suffer most with them.

The trick is in not being too rigid with your plans, if you go somewhere and its midgy, change your plans and go somewhere else.

Its also a question of how much midges actually bother you, i don’t really react much to bites, so apart from the annoyance of having them buzz around, some faint red dots are all if get from bites. Some people seem to be more desirable to midges and also seem to react more to the bites. My mum can smother herself head to toe in repellant and the midges will still ignore everyone else and bite her eyelids.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Avimore area is good. Plenty do do around there.

skidartist
    Free Member

I should add…. the midges are to be celebrated really. Without them the Highlands would be like the Lake District.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Midges are also good food for all sorts of beasts – swifts and swallows as well as bats.

skidartist
    Free Member

so if you have pet bats, take them with you. Or take a doggy bag (batty bag?) back home.

druidh
    Free Member

For a family holiday, you really won’t better the Aviemore area. There’s tons to do – including all sorts of “adventure” sports, the walking etc. You’re also within fairly easy reach of Loch Ness, Culloden (great new visitor centre), the distilleries and some great beaches up at Findhorn etc. You’ll also find some indoor stuff for the inevitable inclement weather. There’s a leisure pool in Aviemore, a much better one in Inverness, an indoor playhouse / crazy golf course at Coylumbridge, a climbing wall etc.

We’re up there quite a lot and had a two-week holiday last July. My wife reckons it was amongst the very best holidays ever.

You’ll find lots of accommodation at visitscotland. Be aware though that there’s a quite an international “push” on tourism this year and that things are booking up early.

As for the “midge”, it’s generally not so bad in the Speyside area as in the West, although places right on the sea in the West are usually OK due to the onshore breeze. Truth is, if you’re indoors in the evenings, if it’s windy or if it’s sunny, you’ll not really notice them. There are various recommendations for repellents etc. Strong deet is sur to work, though it can melt plastics (think of those Oakleys!). Many swear by Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil Body Lotion. Don’t laugh. While it doesn’t actually repel them, they tend to drown in it when they land on you. Be aware though that you’ll smell like an old lady..

I could go on for ages. If you want any more help, feel free to PM me.

Swayndo
    Free Member

I’m very central in Highland and of all the places I regularly go the west coast of Ross-shire and Sutherland is easily my favourite area. Lochinver is awfy nice.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Or try something a bit more unusual – one of the islands for example (not Arran in July)

Tiree is very special (and all but midge free) Google it and PM me for further details if you fancy the sound of it.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

July… Orkney mate. June is usually a bit better… but there is loads to do anyway! Historic Scotland – well, the place has more archaeology per square km than anywhere else in the world. Walks – plenty, from clifftops to moors to beaches. Very holiday friendly kind of a place.

As for accomodation find somewhere in Kirkwall that suits your budget – that puts you nice and central to go and see a lot of the islands (though you would find enough on Mainland alone to keep you busy, it’s nice to get to another of the islands for a daytrip though). Check out Visit Orkney for accomodation and the like.

Oh aye – ace food too, loads of top local produce 😉

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Forgot to add – the wind usually keeps the midges away during the day, and in the evenings in Kirkwall you aren’t bothered by them so much as if you took a rural property… where you probably would get eaten alive!

FoxyChick
    Free Member

…what druidh said…

geoffj

Another vote for Orkney or Aviemore both great, but very different.
    Another option is Dunkeld – very central, easy access to Cairngorms, Fife, Trossachs, Edinburgh & Glasgow. Decent walking and stuff to do in the local towns of Pitlochry & Aberfeldy. Fishing, raftin or canoeing on the Tay is a bonus.

MoreCashThanDash

Dumfries and Galloway is great if there are younger kids – castles, farm parks, zoos, great local food places, beaches, Forestry Commission parks, some of which have bike trails…..

We had two great years holidaying near Dalbeattie with two under 5s. MrsSwadey – a non-biker – reckons Kirroughtree and Mabie (Farm Park next to the Stane) are two of the best spots we’ve found!

5thElefant
    Free Member

This place was good:

Details…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Family holidays in Scotland – recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.