Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Family gastropub near Swanage?
  • rossburton
    Free Member

so we’re glamping near Swanage in Dorset this weekend, can anyone recommend a good kid-friendly (7 and 9) pub or restaurant locally?

dovebiker

Ask the Bike Monger of Swanage, Mr Charlie Hobbs?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    kja78
    Free Member

The Red Lion can look a bit rough from the outside but has a huge garden and does the best steak in Swanage. I’ve even seen the aforementioned Charlie himself having a pint or two in there.

Also in the town centre I’ve had a decent meal in the White Horse.

There’s a couple of pizza/Italian places in the centre which aren’t bad.

I’d avoid Tawnys, used to be our go to place for a meal, but went there last week with the wife and we were both disappointed and it was expensive.

The Crow’s Nest isn’t too bad and has a decent garden, but it’s a bit out of town.

Ben_H

The Scott Arms was good when we tried it, too. Plus another vote for Square & Compass.

nixie

Scott Arms in Kingston isngoid., As is the square and compass.

kja78
    Free Member

Never got all the fuss over the Square and Compass, it’s ok for a mid ride pint n pasty, but hardly a gastro pub/restaurant.

piha
    Free Member

The Castle Inn in Corfe is good for food.

You could try the quirky Worth Matravers Tea Rooms but it is best to book in advance. I like it.

Clavell Restaurant in Kimmeridge is worth a visit. Etches Museum across the road and beach with the best rock pools known to man kind just down the road.

Scott Arms in Kingston has been very poor for food when I visited recently, although the jerk shack wasn’t open. Fabulous views from the garden though.

Square & Compass is an absolute must visit. Beer is sublime but the pasties are average at best.

si77

Scott Arms gets my approval. Not tried any others in that area for comparison though.

wallop

Square and Compass is great but I wouldn’t call it gastro!

The Bankes Arms in Studland is family friendly and has a massive garden with a lovely view. We walked there from Tom’s Field and then got the Purbeck Breezer back – you could do an easier version of this from Swanage (or just get the open topped bus – it’s reallu easy and good fun for kids).

aP
    Free Member

The Kings Arms in Langton Matravers is pretty good.

100inch
    Free Member

I can’t believe nobody has mentioned The Pig On the Beach yet. Definitely more restaurant than pub, but properly nice, and good lawn for the kids to run around on too.

wallop

It’s always fully booked whenever I’ve tried to go!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

2nd for the Kings Arms, particularly if they have Lamb and Mint pudding on (like steak and kidney pudding only betterer). You will not leave hungry. I have staggered back to Toms Field dragging my massive carcass many times when my eyes have been bigger than my belly after a good Purbeck ride.

Very friendly pub with good ales too.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

That curry house on the edge of town used to be OK.

That were 28 year ago, moind.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Square & Compass, I’ve never understood what all the hype is about.

Personal recommendations: The Salt Pig Too and Gee Whites

burko73

salt pig and gee whites again.

gee whites great if its a balmy summers afternoon/ eve.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Gastro pubs are few and far between in Dorset, but my favourite for years is the Weld Arms in Lulworth. Many an enjoyable meal had in there, but best to book and ensure you get a table in the bar area, rather than the less convivial rooms at the end.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Family gastropub near Swanage?’ is closed to new replies.