Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Family friendly cycling in South Wales – recommendations please!
  • siwhite
    Free Member

Mrs White and I are heading to South Wales (Gower) next week for a few days. We’ll take the gravel bikes with us.

We are after some recommendations for some family friendly trails we can ride together – she is fairly new to cycling (and trying SPDs for the first time) so nothing too technical please – think towpaths, old railway lines etc as opposed to BPW! Either circular routes or train ride one way, ride back, with a limit of about 20-30 miles.

Thanks in advance for suggestions…

wordnumb
    Free Member

Rheilffordd at Afan. Instead of heading up the sides of the valley there’s a cycle path that follows the river. Climb is gradual, it’s a sustrans style three meter wide affair so no excitement but perfectly pleasant and car free.

Tinners

I’ve never done it, but it’s possible to ride from Mumbles along the Swansea bay seafront on a cycle path. I think it’s the sort of route that’s shared with pedestrians, so may be busy at this time of year. Someone local will be along to tell you more but I suspect it’s better if you’re riding with small children. There’s also a cycle route along the Heritage coast by Llanelli. I think it’s possible to park up by the RSPB reserve.
    Further afield is the Taff Trail. That sounds more like what you’re looking for. You could pick it up at Cardiff bay or drive up to Brecon and ride down. Taff trail would be my choice if I was looking for a 30 mile, quietish bike ride with family.

Nipper99
    Free Member

You could do the Millennium Cycle Path to Burry Port or a bit further to Pembrey from the Wetlands Centre at Loughor. All flat and off the road.

You could go and do the green route at Brechfa on a gravel bike or just explore the forest roads.

You could also do the high level sustrans route from Rhyslyn or Tonna to Llanwonno and back – that is a great gravel ride.
    If your on Gower the ‘classic’ mtb loop’ (along the top of Cefn Bryn taking in Llanmdoc Hill and Rhossili Down (along the top or above the beach) is all very doable on a gravel bike and is also a great day out.

IdleJon

think towpaths, old railway lines etc as opposed to BPW!

Based on this, I’d echo Tinners’ suggestion. The seafront cycle path from Mumbles to Swansea Marina. About 12 miles, there and back. Very popular but apart from the busiest of sunny days it will be rideable. I use it a lot – most cyclists in Swansea do, I’d guess. It has the advantage of lots of cafes, etc, and is a nice ride.

You can divert up Clyne valley cyclepath, which leads up onto Gower or can extend down as far as Pembrey, all on cyclepaths, tarmac or gravel, with only a short stretch on quiet roads.

You can also head up the Swansea valley, again mostly on cycle paths, much quieter this time with some nice views as you get up nearer the mountains.

Check out NCN43. You can probably do over 150km, starting in Mumbles and barely touching a road with those routes above.

If you stay on Gower, the roads on the north side tend to be much quieter. The main south Gower road can be horrendously busy at times. But there is plenty of nice riding.

In my opinion there really is no need to travel as far as Brechfa, Afan, especially Cardiff – the riding around Gower and Swansea is nice and scenic and there is loads of it.

Gower is beautiful. Enjoy. 🙂

davidjey
    Free Member

Another vote for either Swansea to Mumbles along the seafront, or Llanelli to Burry Port/Pembrey.

Both are nice scenic rides along the coast, surfaced but with options for a bit of easy off-road exploring (in either Clyne Valley or Pembrey Country Park).

jam1e
    Free Member

Have a look at Swansea Cycle Routes or Cycle Swansea Bay

There are plenty of fairly flat family friendly routes about (often with ice cream shops at the end to bribe the kids!)

A bit further away is the Rheilffordd Trail which follows old railway lines up the Afan Valley.

aracer
    Free Member

If you do that there are also a few little bits of green and blue graded stuff to the sides where you can have a quick play or push her skills a bit (though TBH the blue is really green+)

innit_gareth
    Free Member

Swansea sea front and up through Clyne are both good. However if you are up early enough to avoid the traffic then the whole of the gower is a fantastic place to cycle.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Family friendly cycling in South Wales – recommendations please!’ is closed to new replies.