Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • family fraud legal advice
  • thelwdiakopes
    Free Member

Sadly my partners mother recently passed away. A member of the family quickly obtained a death certificate and grabbed around 5 grand in insurance policy monies. Now he doesn’t want to share any of it. I was thinking maybe the small claims court could be the best route as legally the money should be shared between the children. There is no will. Any ideas please?

Nipper99
    Free Member

If its fraud or theft then police.

thelwdiakopes
    Free Member

Thanks he is already reported for previous fraud but the police are very slow to respond lately even getting an email reply is proving difficult. It may have to be the police again. They are going to love us !

porter_jamie

Who had the policy and who was the beneficiaries?

tthew

Are their other assets, like a house to sell? With no will, you’ll probably need professional assistance, who could help with your situation.

What a complete arse the family member is.

thelwdiakopes
    Free Member

There are no other assets. One of the 3 children has grabbed the cash but isn’t sharing with his siblings. I hope karma exists.

maccruiskeen

If theres no will and you’ve presumably no grant of probate yet. why has the insurance company paid out to that sibling? Who’s the beneficiary of the policy?

chewkw
    Free Member

thelwdiakopes – Member

There are no other assets. One of the 3 children has grabbed the cash but isn’t sharing with his siblings. I hope karma exists.

Karma exists.

5k is not a lot to share between 3 children by comparison to the stress that might happen.

If you are believer of afterlife then go to the house of the departed, grave or in prayer to complain/inform (like in prayer) to the mother about the situation.

No guarantee something will happen but who knows …

thelwdiakopes
    Free Member

Not only has the insurance company paid out but it won’t tell us who to even though we know and they won’t confirm amounts with my partner. We don’t want to leave this to prayer we prefer karma. This individual already had her pension before she died and now he is cleaning up every penny he can.

monksie
    Free Member

thelwdiakopes
    Free Member

They paid on production of a death certificate and he had possession of the policy document

chewkw
    Free Member

thelwdiakopes – Member
    This individual already had her pension before she died and now he is cleaning up every penny he can.

This person sounds like a nasty piece of work.
    If fraud is involved then it definitely the police first then court.

maccruiskeen

They paid on production of a death certificate and he had possession of the policy document

This individual already had her pension before she died

‘had her pension’ by theft of coercion? Have you actually seen the policy and who it pays to – might he have persuaded her to name him as the beneficiary?

thelwdiakopes
    Free Member

The policies aren’t named so go to the three children in theory

toemul
    Free Member

It’s not enough money to invoke probate, not sure of the terminology.

julzm
    Free Member

Dunno if this helps but I had to make a similar death benefits claim recently after my mother in law passed away.

I was asked the following:
    – confirm no will
    Death certificate number
    – confirm no significant assets (total under 30k I think)
    – confirm that we were entitled to make the claim as executors
    – agree that should anyone else come forward with a claim on the policy they would be allowed to listen to a recording of the call

Make a formal complaint to the insurance company. If you don’t get anywhere go to the financial ombudsman.

thelwdiakopes
    Free Member

Thanks julzm that has given us some ideas re hearing the phone call

julzm
    Free Member

That claim was with royal london. Just in case it’s the same company.

MoreCashThanDash

Any policy proceeds go to the (executors of) the estate and get dealt with under probate, surely?

Anything outside that is a criminal offence I’d have thought.

Sadly, times of grief can bring out the worst in people

thelwdiakopes
    Free Member

there arent any executors as there isnt a will, this isnt about the money but its a matter of principle,theft and fraud

thelwdiakopes
    Free Member

and the sad side of human nature

thegreatape
    Free Member

Unless he has engaged in some sort of trick or deception then this isn’t a fraud. There may well be a good civil claim around how assets get shared but that wouldn’t be a police matter.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘family fraud legal advice’ is closed to new replies.