Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Family Cottaging in the UK, where?
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

The Hoops family are pondering a UK based summer holiday. We’ve done the south west to death. Our current pondering is renting a cottage for a week somewhere else. We’re based in the north west. Your suggestions please for a family adventure?

TRH

😯 that’s an interesting family hobby….

😉

thegreatape
    Free Member

Family Cottaging!

Every day’s a school day.

Drac

hatter

Disabled cubicle maybe, plenty of room and there’s often a baby change in there.

HTH

midlifecrashes

Surrey, Sussex or Kent. Loads to do and none of those wild open spaces.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Can you narrow it down a bit? THE best cottage we’ve ever stayed in was here,
    http://blackparkislay.co.uk/

Sleeps 8 IIRC, but there was just us two.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Is it legal?

markrh
    Free Member

😳

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lamlash, Arran. We meet the same family from Hampshire there every year, quite a drive, they (and we) love it.

djglover
    Free Member

Anglesey is great, both as a place to have a cottage with epic views and space to run around but with kid friendly attractions dotted about there and on the mainland. We’ve done Cornwall a fair bit over the last few years too but I prefer n wales

thegreatape
    Free Member

Must be a wind up. The Hoops family, going Cottaging.

crankboy
    Free Member

Funny jokes aside we have had good family fun in cottages in ardnamurchan and the Yorkshire dales depends what you want from your holiday really.

duncancallum

Dumfries and Galloway.

Loads to do Inc 7Staines. It’s one of my favourite places

Suggsey
    Free Member

Glencoemountaincottages right next to the Pap of Glencoe, not strictly a rental but Goig na She in Newtonmore was a home from home B&B and lots to do locally.
    Rented a huge bungalow in Sufflok last year but some of the owners from outside the area……apologies to any nice Londoners were just not nice people.

DaveRambo

For the past 6 or so years we have been going to a cottage on a working farm in Pembrokeshire. Near the sea for walks on the coastal path, beaches are fab, St David’s has jet boat trips. Walks on the hills, pubs with great food blah blah blah.

We love it there, lots to do and as relaxing or active as you want. Big bonus (for us all really – teenage girl included) is there is no mobile signal at the cottage.

Edit: plus lots of natural trail riding and decent roads

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve done Barmouth a few times and absolutely love it.

sweepy
    Free Member

It’s not for everyone but there are a couple of amazing cottages for rent on Muck.
    Basic, with aga and woodburner but 24hr leccy now, nothing much to do, and two out of the three times weve been there have been issues with getting on or off the island due to weather.
    This might not sound like a recommendation but its great, really relaxing and you spend a lot of time together cos theres sod all else to do.

Xylene
    Free Member

A good time for some MOnkey Dust

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr7tqdL3HNg[/video]

CountZero

It’s not for everyone but there are a couple of amazing cottages for rent on Muck.
    Basic, with aga and woodburner but 24hr leccy now, nothing much to do, and two out of the three times weve been there have been issues with getting on or off the island due to weather.
    This might not sound like a recommendation but its great, really relaxing and you spend a lot of time together cos theres sod all else to do.

There’s a lot to be said for that kind of situation. A couple of years ago I stayed with friends in South Devon, close to Start Point.
    For three days the cloud base was 100′ or so below their place, with strong winds and driving rain, I could barely see the main house across the yard, and all I did was lay on the couch, drink tea, listen to 6Music, (no wifi and barely any phone signal), and read a bunch of books. In the evenings I’d drive down to the nearest pub for food and some beer.
    It was heaven.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Greenodd on the edge of the lakes is an ideal location

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

ScottChegg
    Free Member

We’ve had a few good hols in Northumberland. Stayed very near Alnwick, incredible beaches, fantastic countryside and very few people.

You can also take your bike…

Cletus

I would go for a week in Llanberis. Bit of a gamble with the weather but if it is good then you will have a great time.

Things to do include:

Climb Snowdon
    Visit Zipworld

Plus lots of outdoor stuff

vickypea
    Free Member

Northumberland gets my vote

YoKaiser
    Free Member

We’ve been a few and Mull has been my favorite, Tobermory is lovely, Calgary beach, trips to Iona and Staffa. We stayed in the Glengorm estate cottages, recommended.

Xylene
    Free Member

Iona is nice. I have family there still.

Why not head up to Achmelvich (spelling incorrect) up on the north west of scotland – I remember nice beaches and roads up there, and that cool botanical gardens around there.

ampthill

If you want like the South Wes but new then Pembrokshire is great. I’d say st Davids or near a Davids. I prefer this to Tenby

The North East is also lovely but less good for the Sea Temperature and Waves

We Really love the Scillies but camp its pricey renting a cottage But all our best holidays have been there

[url=https://flic.kr/p/afJ44d]DSC_0087.jpg[/url] by John Clinch, on Flickr

midlifecrashes

Forget Pembrokeshire, and Cardigan Bay too, it’s rubbish. Anyway you’ve done all that beachy rugged coast stuff in the south west of England, you’d not like anything in Wales west of Mumbles or south of Conwy. 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Family Cottaging in the UK, where?’ is closed to new replies.