• This topic has 69 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Family car for cyclists
  • kcr
    Free Member

Looking for second hand, value for money, something that runs and causes as little bother and expense as possible. Has to go forwards, backwards and round corners when I turn the steering wheel. Don’t care what it looks like, and won’t be driving big miles.

Currently have a 10 year old Scenic which has had various issues over the years, but is a good design and can swallow an adult bike and two kids bikes upright with central seat removed. I probably prefer that layout, instead of dismantling stuff to lay it flat in an estate, for example.

Something like the Skoda Roomster that was mentioned on another thread looks good. Any other recommendations?

convert

Is having bikes inside the car an absolute then?

firestarter
    Free Member

Berlingo?

kcr
    Free Member

No, can use a rack if necessary, but find the internal loading handy for most situations.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I have just got atouran. Has matching internal bike rack.

globalti
    Free Member

Why do people bother with racks when their cars are empty? I sometimes see people alone in cars with a bike strapped like a trophy on the boot or roof, waiting to be stolen, damaged or sprayed with salty water. Ive even seen people driving vans with single bikes displayed on the towbar rack. Absolutely bonkers.

qwerty
    Free Member

second hand, value for money, something that runs and causes as little bother and expense as possible. Has to go forwards, backwards and round corners when I turn the steering wheel. Don’t care what it looks like,

=

dmorts

Currently have a 10 year old Scenic which has had various issues over the years, but is a good design and can swallow an adult bike and two kids bikes upright with central seat removed.

Snap! (Although with one kid on the way, no others at present)

I have just got atouran. Has matching internal bike rack.

Sounds good, will look into that. Never use external racks these days

Edit: You may ask why a couple have a Scenic and no kids. In fact it is often asked by people. We inherited the car and it has turned out to be not so bad after all. Great for carrying bikes inside

chestrockwell

Why do people bother with racks when their cars are empty? I sometimes see people alone in cars with a bike strapped like a trophy on the boot or roof, waiting to be stolen, damaged or sprayed with salty water. Ive even seen people driving vans with single bikes displayed on the towbar rack. Absolutely bonkers.

Maybe because sticking it on the roof means you don’t have to:

Take the children’s seats out and store them.

Take the pram, dog bed, rucksack child carrier, shopping bags, etc out and store them.

Sheet up the car to avoid it getting covered in mud.

Wash the sheets once they get covered in mud.

Take wheels off and then put them back on again.

Etc…..

chestrockwell

Car wise:

Berlingo or equivalent (Sister rates hers).
    Touran.
    C-Max, S-Max.
    Zafira.
    Another Scenic or other Citroen, Fiat, Seat, Peugeot version.
    Mondeo/508/Insignia sized estate?

Most modern cars ‘should’ be reasonably trouble free but you can get a lemon from any manufacturer. Wouldn’t buy French myself but plenty do without problems.

philjunior
    Free Member

Take the pram, dog bed, rucksack child carrier, shopping bags, etc out and store them.

Etc…..

You know you can skip most of those steps if you have kids, who will cover the interior of the car in mud or worse anyway? And if you don’t have kids, I don’t want to know why you have child seats and a pushchair in the car.

verbboy
    Free Member

Espace is great we have a normal size one but there is a Grand Espace available too. If I’m honest as the children got older it was a bit of a hassle getting there bikes in, We also have a Caravelle now and I use a rack on both cars generally unless just one of two bikes.

If you get a rack that slides away from the car it makes loads of difference, easy access to the boot when all the bikes are on the rack.

I always try to put my bike in the car but family trips always found it better to stick them on the outside. Rack gives you better options for holidays etc.

Drove a Skoda Superb the other day – it was only a base model but amazing space and well make. Compared to an A4 I had a while back I’d have the Skoda all day long!

Anyway personally I’d get an Espace and a rack – covers loads of options and you should get a good one at not crazy £££

jonnyboi

Fiat doblo. 1.3 multijet version

ransos
    Free Member

Our C-max has been very reliable. About the same size as a Scenic. The middle seat comes out so you can poke a full size bike through.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Edit: You may ask why a couple have a Scenic and no kids. In fact it is often asked by people. We inherited the car and it has turned out to be not so bad after all. Great for carrying bikes inside

Same no kids.

Micro camper when required istheplanalso

parkesie
    Free Member

Berlingo or roomster type thing

iainc

globalti – Member

err. cos the interior of my estate car is usually clean and tidy and it is less time/easier to pop dirty wet bike on roof (racks are always there) than fold down seats, move stuff, put in a liner/blanket whatever, remove front wheel etc

not bonkers 🙂

simon_g

Etc…..

This. Before kids I’d just leave my back seats down and a tarp on top most of the time. Now with two kids it’s much easier to just stick the bike on the roof rather than faff about removing then refitting the seats.

ampthill

We have gone from a grand scenic to a Peugoet Partner. Happy in every way. I assume a Berlingo is identical

The space is shorter but taller than the scenic which is a bit less good for bikes

But overall it’s great. I thought it would feel like a step down.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Sticking a bike on the roof is so much more convenient. Ride upto the car, 20 seconds it’s on the roof, change with the luxury of an empty boot, then you’re in the car while others are still dismantling their bikes and carefully leaning over risking putting their backs out delicately trying to place their bike over their sheet and not touching the sides and carefully laying all the bits they’ve had to dismantle on the bike in such a way it doesn’t case any damage or slide about scuffing up the interior of the car.

Also, if the bike is going to get knicked at least they can knick it without smashing windows in and causing whatever else damage to your car while they’re in the process. having bikes in the car is no more or less secure than having them on a rack.

On the basis the bikes will be going on the outside of the car either on a roof mounted rack, or rear mounted rack, then why would you need a larger car than necessary for a biking family? Just any old hatchback with a roof rack will do. You’re not going to fit all bikes in the car as well as the family and all the rest of the gear.

iainc

^^^^ that plus 1

takisawa2

The only car I’d swap my Galaxy for is a Superb. They are massive inside & so nice to drive.
    Definitely on my list.

But my older model Galaxy just keeps on going about it’s business, turning in 37mpg, not complaining about stop start driving & offering fantastic versatility as the 5 rear seats come fully out. It practically leaves you with a van. None of the current crop of large MPV’s come close, for sensible money.

ampthill

Also, if the bike is going to get knicked at least they can knick it without smashing windows in and causing whatever else damage to your car while they’re in the process. having bikes in the car is no more or less secure than having them on a rack.

That is literally true. But it’s quite easy to hide bike in a car. Putting it on the roof could not broadcast it more widely

On the roof is really convenient. But it does impact mpg which I think is why I do it less often now

olly2097
    Free Member

Berlingo. Best purchase I’ve made in a long time. Swallows bikes and kids and pushchairs.

Yesterday I had my full suss with wheels on in it combined with a unfolded pushchair, two kids in baby seats, biking gear and an aldi shop. Loads of room to spare as well. Awesome piece of kit.

Ugly mind.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Old Mondeo estate, massive.

wilburt
    Free Member

Prefer putting bikes on the roof kids or no kids.

avdave2

I’ve had a Fiat Doblo for over 10 years now and can’t fault it.

stumpyjon

Touran here with towbar rack. Very vedsatile car and exceptionally boring but does what it does well. Ours is coming up on 5 years old, been pretty good, first one we had was a money pit. Also had Scenics before we had kids. First one was great, 2nd one sucked big time. Touran is better and bigger.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Berlingo
    Fiat Doblo
    Caddy Maxi Life

Doblo maybe the best deal?

joemmo
    Free Member

Got a grand scenic here, cavernous and useful boot space + roof box and roof rack and boot rack. Mileage is rubbish but it’s great for trips and holidays

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just bought our third partner/berlingo in a row.

Simply put nothing else in its size and price is as good at carrying bikes.

Just picked up a 15 plate top spec outdoor tepee (so the full gambit of airbags and curtain air bags you don’t get in the active as well as esp , parking sensors black tinted rear windows and integral sun blinds, Bluetooth head unit and folding mirrora)

5000 miles on the clock , full service history and just had first mot. In gun metal grey with the best alloy option (imo)

£8900

Interestingly when i ride with my.mates with all their different racks the least hassle by a country mile is ths bike in the back of the berlingo with the tail gate to stay dry under. Bikes on cars suck.

belugabob
    Free Member

Can’t fault our SMAX.

Two adults, a dog and *lots* of camping gearis an absolute breeze.
    Have never used the rear 2 (of 7) seats but, as the middle row of 3 fold independently, my other favourite configuration is one middle seat folded, one bike in a bike bag lengthwise (behind driver) boot full of cycling kit, 3 bikes on towbar rack, and 4 cyclists with acres of legroom.

It’s based on the Mondeo chassis, so drives just like a car – so much more so than the Galaxy that I test drove beforehand.

The Galaxy was definitely taller but, as I live near Gatwick, I didn’t want people to think that I was a minicab driver 😉

rents
    Free Member

Berlingo! I have a 55 plate which has been faultless for the 6 years we have owned it. The most practical car ever. The sliding doors make everything child and family related so simple. Also you can stand up on the rear door steps to roof mount bikes with ease. Massive tailgate to shelter under and bomb proof engines. We won’t get rid of it until it’s dead then will replace it with another.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Oh yes for about that. Why more cars doñt have sliding doors I don’t know thy are **** awesome for carparks n shit.

I’ve got a 54 plate non turbo 1.9 multispace for sale in Aberdeen just now if anyone’s nearby and looking.

belugabob
    Free Member

Now, there’s a concept – SMAX with sliding doors 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

It would be awesome. Would be like a berlingo with a ford badge.

So it would eat wishbones and have electrical gremlins 🙂

belugabob
    Free Member

😀

Pz_Steve

wilburt – Member
    Prefer putting kids on the roof bikes or no bikes.

FTFY

mcnultycop

Just gone from an older Mazda 6 Estate which was decent to a Skoda Superb Estate 4×4 which is actually superb.

I tend to ride alone so need to keep the bike inside the car. It’s vast.

olly2097
    Free Member

That partner is making me moist trail rat. I love my b9 xtr but it’s an 09 so it’s a bit ghetto specwise these days. Still, it has integrated window blinds as well which is awesome.

Can’t recommend a berlingo enough.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Family car for cyclists’ is closed to new replies.