Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Family bike tourers – tents ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Apparently I’m not allowed to take the cargo bike on our next bike tour…..and thus not able to take our 4 man pop up quecha black out tent…..which would be the sensible option .

Our last touring tent was a wild country hoolie 2 – I won’t have another wild country tent poor quality and worse back up. – but we did like the porch having lived in a vaude Hogan which was a coffin for 2 with storage space for minimal stuff in the porch for 6 months.

Looking at the Vango 400 series the Skye specifically but anything else I should consider or any reason not to get a Skye ……-use in scotland -on campsites.

matt_outandabout

Is this for four of you?

I picked up a Vango Galaxy 300 last year. Typical Vango – it’s well made, functions well, very easy to pitch and not too heavy. I’ve bought it for canoe tours.

mugsys_m8

We went from a super quasar for 3 then 4 of us to a maximum of a 5? And 3? Year old ..to a Vango omega 450xl…which weighed less….had a huge porch we could get 2 adult and 2 kids bikes in…or cook and eat in…it fitted in one rear pannier. For our last family tour in 2019 with a 11 and 9 year old we decided it was 2 lightweight tents…so bought a huubba Hubba nx for us and a hexpeak f6 for them.

The Vango was great.

Various combinations used for annual 3 weeks touring holidays in Denmark/ Netherlands/ N. Italy/ French Atlantic coast/ Sweeden and Finland.

Sadly there will be no more Mum, Dad and 2 children touring holidays.

stevious

If you have an enormous pile of money to spend, I’m told the 4-person Big Agnes Copper Spur is a winner. I have some friends touring Edinburgh to Shetland with 2 adults & 2 kids in theirs and they’ve been very positive about it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’ve seen some big Agnes tents in budget but I’ve not had good experiance with them in Scottish rain.

The Vango omega 450 was one I was looking at too.

There’s only 3 of us -but it seemed the weight difference between 3 and 4 is about 1 kilo. And having the space is king with Jnr in Scotland. (thinking midges)

How ever as always the cheap big tents are hooped tunnels which can be a pain to pitch when abroad on hardstanding camping but I don’t see that as an issue with Jnr.

db

What about 2x 2 man and a big tarp over both entrances? Or are you wanting to all be in the same space?

Just thinking it might be easier to spread the weight and give you more flexibility in the long run

trail_rat
    Free Member

While long term that’ll probably be the way forward -hence not looking to spend mega bucks on a tent (and why I wanted to take our pop up tent as a short term)

I suspect that will not end well currently. Jnrs not quite 2. Be a couple of years before going in her own tent is a thing

boriselbrus
    Free Member

If it’s of interest I’m selling a Vango Equinox 350 at the moment? Only used for around 10 nights and comes with the additional porch groundsheet. It is only a 3 person (although genuinely 3 person, not 3 midgets) and it’s a lot lower than the 400 you are looking at so you can’t stand up in it, but it’s available if you are interested?

mugsys_m8

The key for us was the XL part of the 450. I think they stopped doing that particular configuration.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Family bike tourers – tents ?’ is closed to new replies.