Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Family bike rack for a Ford Galaxy
  • jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Sorry…had a search around but didn’t find anything conclusive as a lot of stuff was pretty old.

Getting a Galaxy this week, with a detachable swan neck tow hitch – looking for a bike rack that will take up to four bikes, including bikes for a 6 and 8 year old…but will also be able to take larger bikes when they grow.
    Ideally it’d be one of those ones that hinges out of the way so you can access the back, but not sure if that’s partly dependent on the car design as well? (eg don’t way to pay for that function if it doesn’t work on a Galaxy)

Any recommendations?

cheers

garage-dweller

Got a Buzz rack bb4 for our Smax. I’m not sure a tilter would let the hatch open.

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/buzz_rack_bb4_4_bike_wheel_support_rack_no_brp324/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B~cC4ure7yanU

Dead simple to fit and load. I’ve run it with large 29r, 2×26 and 1×24 without issue. Takes about 15 minutes from shed to fully loaded.

The other benefit over a tilter is that it is a lot lighter to handle.

I’ve managed without a tilting rack for years and my answer is just to think about how I pack and what needs accessing through or over the rear seats.

The BB4 the uprights fold in seconds once bikes are off so you can access the boot when you arrive fairly easily.

5lab

atera strada DL lets the hatch open on most vans, I’d be surprised if it didn’t work on a galaxy – as the rack slides back-and-down so really gets things out of the way

Technically when you’ve 4 bikes on it you’re meant to put a couple of extra straps (to the boot lid) for stability, but if its kids bikes for now, I suspect you don’t have to worry about that

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ssboggy

atera strada DL lets the hatch open on most vans, I’d be surprised if it didn’t work on a galaxy – as the rack slides back-and-down so really gets things out of the way

This should be fine on a Galaxy, I have one that i used to use on a S-Max, the tilting Buzz rack (forget the model) didn’t give enough clearance so it was swapped for the Atera

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

thanks both…Atera Strada DL looks epic, but not cheap!

airvent
    Free Member

Is the roof out of the question?

5lab

the stradas are sometimes on roofbox’s ‘discount’ section – normally ones which have been returned. I got mine from there

ElShalimo

Atera used to do a rear door rack for the Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra – it’s worth looking for one

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Family bike rack for a Ford Galaxy’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts