Family based activities in the Lakes??

Home Forum Chat Forum Family based activities in the Lakes??

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Family based activities in the Lakes??
  • Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

No biking as if I wanted a biking holiday I’d have one :p

*Swoons

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

Boat rips on Ulswater, Coniston, Ulswater, Windermere

Posh café at Skelwith bridge (Chesters)

bradley

2 adults 2 infants (1.5 and .5 of age). Like everything and anything really? Some suggestions for nice places to eat would be nice too.

No biking as if I wanted a biking holiday I’d have one :p

Premier Icon andylakes
    Subscriber

The National Trust places at Wray Castle and Allan Bank are kid friendly and worth a few hours of your time.
    Walk in Grizedale, following the trail with the wind up keys in the trees? (really)

Premier Icon cdaimers
    Subscriber

Brockhole with Peter rabbit etc…

Caves at cathedral quarry near chapel stile / langdale spa… Take a torch

Premier Icon ratadog
    Subscriber

Wilf’s cafe at Staveley is very child friendly, with a bike shop next door just in case you get withdrawal symptoms. Craft bakery a few doors down was good when we were there last year as well.

Lakeland Motor Museun just south of Newby Bridge – on Ulverston road has a good cafe as well.

Grizedale sculpture trails are great and at least one is very easy access from the visitor centre.

Ravengalss and Eskdale railway or the Lakeside and Haverthwaite which run from the Southern point of the Windermere steamer route. The Lakeside Aquarium is there too. +1 for the steamers on any of the lakes as well.

The Beatrix Potter house, Hill Top, can be very busy so try and go early. The National Trust also has a museum in Hawkeshead with her drawings etc.

Biggest variety of places to eat are probably in Ambleside.

The National Park website has info here and also their visitor centre at Brockhole between Ambleside and Bowness has activities for all ages and is worth checking out.

For older kids into Swallows and Amazons, the original Amazon is in Coniston museum and you can have afternoon tea at Holly Howe – correct name Bank Ground Farm, Coniston,

If you google Lake District with Kids you should find a book by David Atkinson which details activities by agegroup and area. It is very good and well worth the price.

stufive

When you coming? lakeland country show at torver tomorrow

jekkyl

Mountain biking!

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Ferry-walk-cafe.
    Repeat on many different Lakes.
    Swimming pool at Kewsick is good.
    If you paddle, get a canoe out. Ours all had first time in canoes on Ullswater or Windermere.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Family based activities in the Lakes??’ is closed to new replies.