• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by jag61.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • falling up the stairs!
  • jag61

Mrs JAG took a trip on the top step of a flight of stairs at her work ( School) hurt hands arms and knee , school nurse filled out accident form, turns out other staff have done same on this top step which is a different rise to the others on the flight. Any way turns out to have damaged rotator cuff she has a quadrathlon event this weekend. if she pulls out get school to pay costs? Injury lawyer 4 U are us? HSE?. If we ( main contractor) built some stairs like that i would expect a huge shitstorm. any thoughts on sensible course of action?

slowoldman

But was she holding onto the banister?

nealglover
    Free Member

Uneven stairs are something HSE would be concerned about.

ads678

Did she have her eyes closed?

grey

Certainly an HSE problem if others have had the same accident and nothing has been done about it.

phil5556

I’d probably want the stairs to get looked at/fixed if there was something wrong with them.

Personally I wouldn’t be trying to “Sue”anyone, but then I don’t know how much it costs to enter a quadrathlon.

chestrockwell

Is she in a Union? If so hand it to them.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Firstly sympathy to your wife but come on now, it was an accident. The hse are hugely overworked and understaffed and I very much doubt they’d be interested. If however they were then a word of warning because they’re like a dog with a bone who just don’t let go, you could get multiple visits with an invoice each time. I’ve a feeling your wife wouldn’t be all that popular if that was to occur as if assume it would come straight out of the school funds.

Definitely raise the issue with the headmaster and see if the stair can be altered, I presume it’s a bigger riser than the rest rather than smaller.

rOcKeTdOg

It’s a sad indictment of todays world that your first thought was how much money can we make rather than how can I help report the issue with the stairs to save anyone else from an accident.

avdave2

Had she been out to lunch with Jean-Claude Juncker?

midlifecrashes

Union.

If she is in NEU (NUT+ATL merger) and gets no joy locally, give me a shout, I know some of their senior bods who will point her to the right people to talk to.

Sandwich

it was an accident.

No, it wasn’t. An accident is an unforeseen event and the school have had the unforeseen event before. Trip/slip no. 3 will be into the realms of negligence.

If it’s an academy then the head needs advising of his/her responsibilities for H&S, otherwise raise it with the LEA and certainly the injured party’s union.

hooli

How did she manage to train for a quadrathlon on only perfectly level ground with uniform height steps? What happens when there is a toy/book/dog toy on the floor at home?

Sorry if it sounds like I am being a dick (it is not my intention) but it sounds like she needs to watch where she is putting her feet. By all means ask the school to look at it but there is no way I would expect money from a school for me being clumsy.

revs1972
    Free Member

Sorry if it sounds like I am being a dick (it is not my intention) but it sounds like she needs to watch where she is putting her feet. By all means ask the school to look at it but there is no way I would expect money from a school for me being clumsy.

Nothing to do with being clumsy, although I agree that you shouldn’t be chasing compo. In this instance , i would rather the money go to fixing the problem.

I would take dimensions of the stair going and risers to identify if there is a problem, then find out if it has been officially reported as an error.

Is it a new school ? Or a new staircase in the school ? In any case, if there is a serious flaw like that , then it should be made out of bounds until it is fixed. Falling up the stairs is one thing, falling down them could be quite another.

One of the things I supply are steel staircases. They have got to be bang on at fabrication / erection stage or they do not go out the door.

jag61

Thanks for the help will see union rep when in next will get her to measure steps. Not after any payout sort of likes working there. Was carrying bag and drink so not holding handrails 😞may have been joking about lawyers? anyway a few people bit.she trains hard for these events so would be pissed off if she had to pull out as others have also tripped in same Spot and poss nowt done . Thanks again ,back on your heads…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘falling up the stairs!’ is closed to new replies.