• This topic has 74 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Falling off a boat and surviving
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

That’s allegedly where she fell off, but if no one saw her, then how do they know for certain.

tthew

Nice humblebrag by esselgruntfuttock there. Balcony room sir? Ooh, posh!

bigyan
    Free Member

People sit on railings and fall off.

Its hard to protect people from stupid, and really ruins things for everybody else when they make it 100% idiot proof.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Pretty sure most of his post was complete waffle tbh. As a massively experienced cruiser (1), the only time they kept track of you is to see who’s got off and who hasn’t made it back on at port visits.

Waffle huh, fit right in here then eh.

Muster checks are done twice a day.

cheers_drive

Its the med, so as long as it wasnt choppy you can just lie back and relax and float with head well above water.

Tell that to the families of the hundreds of immigrants / refugees that drown in the Med every year.

robbo1234biking

@bikebouy I have been on a few cruises and have never been required to do a muster check. How are these completed?

IdleJon

@bikebouy I have been on a few cruises and have never been required to do a muster check. How are these completed?

I’ve been one one cruise. No muster check.

bikebouy
    Free Member

They click you in/out the meal areas, you probably didn’t notice. Those that eat in thier rooms are monitored the same way.

Also, the medical team do random checks.

Can’t have people disappearing off the back now can we 👍

Obvz, all the checks required are liable to both interpretation and frequency.

The pic I saw was of her getting out of the water onto the Coastguard patrol.

Always taught to remove flappy baggy clothing, including shirts and jeans, due to water logging and soaking weight.

I was chucked off a racing yacht mid race whilst in my oilies, and I can tell you I jettisoned them pretty damn quickly. Why was I chucked off ? I replied to a thread on here and someone didn’t like my answer.

IdleJon

They click you in/out the meal areas, you probably didn’t notice.

So when my family went in to the posher restaurant they would have clicked four people, then another four clicks when we went to get the kids food from the buffet restaurant  thirty minutes later (because the kids didn’t like the posh food), and another three clicks to get ice-cream thirty minutes later again, and maybe another click because I’m a gannet and wanted more cakes. 😂

What about people missing because they haven’t gone for breakfast, preferring to slee their hangover off?

bikebouy
    Free Member

MGN notes freely available online…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I replied to a thread on here and someone didn’t like my answer.

Being a Big Hitter has its risks…

legend
    Free Member

Still not seeing it,Counting and Registration of Persons on Board Passenger Ships:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/442867/MSN_1794.pdf

Wrong document? Only had a quick scan, and it just seems to cover boarding/landing cards and the like

jimdubleyou

Most lifejackets these days come with spray hoods which cover your face as you can end up with a quantity of spray in your face

That’s to help prevent secondary drowning. Some old salt told me it came about from research after the Falklands but not sure how true that is.

If you do find yourself in that situation the advice I’ve had is to just float on your back and keep your clothes on. If you’re wearing a PFD, adopt the Heat Escape Lessening Position – tuck your knees in to your chest and wrap arms around.

njee20
    Free Member

MGN 71, which is about muster lists makes no mention whatsoever of counting passengers twice daily. I also cannot imagine how it would work.

gobuchul
    Free Member

They click you in/out the meal areas, you probably didn’t notice. Those that eat in their rooms are monitored the same way.

How does that work then? As most ships now have free sitting 24hr buffet areas in addition to the usual restaurants, how would you would counting people twice or not counting them at all? Never mind when someone gets u for a pee.

Also, the medical team do random checks.

Of what?

Which MGN refers to these twice daily checks?

The ships are lucky if they can get the passenger lists to tally from they expect to be on-board when they sail and how many they actually have.

I really hope you have no professional marine qualifications as you have little or no real knowledge.

seadog101

It’s the first few moments that will save you.

If you are aware that you are falling into the sea (ie, not knocked in unexpectedly, injured before the fall etc…), and if the water temp isn’t cold enough to induce shock, you have a good chance of not panicking.  After that, a fit person who can swim, tread water well has a fairly lengthy time before exhaustion kicks in.

Also, if the sea was not choppy, you can keep your head above the water without burning up too much energy.

Keeping the will to survive, and expecting rescue will help (even if this is a false hope).

piha
    Free Member

seadog101

END OF THREAD

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

This is a good read by a great writer that deals with a similar situation: Skinny Dip by Carl Hiassen

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Anyone remember this episode of Tales of the Unexpected.

William Botibol, a man on a cruise ship, takes part in a bet to predict how far the ship will travel in twenty-four hours. He calculates that he will win if the ship is delayed a little—if, for instance, it has to turn back to collect a man overboard. In order to win by cheating, he waits until he and a woman are alone on the deck and then he pretends to fall overboard. Unfortunately for him, the woman is not what he thinks she is.

😉

SaxonRider

What about sharks? Aren’t there any people eaters in the Adriatic or Aegean or wherever she was?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yup, as said the North Sea/ Channel statistics are skewed mostly because of thermal shock, hypothermia is one thing but paralysis by the cold is a quicker means to that end.

Can honestly say I have never been on any ship with waist height railings. I have seen some monumental idiots at sea though (including the one that liked to sit on the bow whilst underway, suppose if he hit the bulbous bow on the way down it would be quick).

Drink and ships are not a good mix. Ever.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

END OF THREAD

When the question of how she fell in is answered we will be getting towards the end of thread . At the moment we could be pages away .

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When the question of how she fell in is answered we will be getting towards the end of thread .

And only if people spot that or dont debate it too much. Easy 20 pages

euans2
    Free Member

What about sharks? Aren’t there any people eaters in the Adriatic or Aegean or wherever she was?

in short… Yes

https://owlcation.com/stem/Sharks-in-the-Mediterranean-Sea

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Nice humblebrag by esselgruntfuttock there. Balcony room sir? Ooh, posh!

It was my 60f birfday present off my Mrs innit?

She bought me a hat as well….

][/url]IMG_0169

bails

Its the med, so as long as it wasnt choppy you can just lie back and relax and float with head well above water.

Maybe you can, I don’t float!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nice humblebrag by esselgruntfuttock there

I am disappoint.

I was expecting moar gammonangryface

bikebouy
    Free Member

I replied to a thread on here and someone didn’t like my answer.

Being a Big Hitter has its risks…

I have quite some way to go yet to achieve that lofty status.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone remember this episode of Tales of the Unexpected.

Yes, that’s why I mentioned it quite a few posts ago 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Watched an episode of Tales of the Unexpected last week, bloody awesome.

senorj

But did you do the sexy dance at the end?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Maybe you can, I don’t float!

Witches do, burn her! <span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>And women generally have higher body fat %, I wonder if that’s how the ducking stool started?</span>

boblo
    Free Member

Apparently she’s been named now; Eileen Dover.

Off now. TTFN.

snaps
    Free Member

Drink and ships are not a good mix. Ever.

+1

DezB
    Free Member

😆 @ boblo

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Falling off a boat and surviving’ is closed to new replies.