Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Failing to return a broken warranty item??
  • Superficial
    Free Member

Slightly odd question: I have a new monitor – a widescreen 34″ job (which is amazing btw) but initially when it came, it had a massive crack down the middle. So I sent the seller an email inc a picture and they sent a new monitor but I still have the broken one. They said someone would collect the old monitor. Someone did come once while we were out but despite my nagging the company, they haven’t re-arranged it for it to be collected.

It came from Germany via a UK distributor / front company and I suspect they don’t really want it back – or at least the cost of returning it is not worth it for them. The thing is, even broken I wonder whether there is some value in the broken screen. I think at minimum I could sell the stand / PSU / cables etc.

I have emailed the company three times now. The first time they said they would arrange collection (which never materialised) and I haven’t had a response to the other emails.

The (broken) monitor is in a huge box which is taking up lots of space in my study – I just want rid of it! But I am worried that when they do a stock check they will realise they don’t have an expensive monitor and they’ll ask me to return it (E.g. in several month’s time after I’ve chucked it).

Any suggestions?

teethgrinder

WEEE in their shoes

cb

Write to them. You have 14 days to arrange collection, otherwise it gets chucked / recycled / ebayed. You’re not a warehouse for them

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

Email them telling them you will be charging for storing their goods.

johndoh
    Free Member

As above – just tell them how long they have before it gets binned.

Phil_H

WEEE in their shoes

😃😃

Superficial
    Free Member

Do you think I need to write rather than email?

Nico
    Free Member

Phone them. Tell them that if they do not want it you will dispose of it. Then you can sell the bits.

On a couple of occasions I’ve had companies say that they didn’t want me to return an item, once when it was big and once when it was tiny and worth little. Makes sense.

RoterStern
    Free Member

An Italian toy company that sells through Amazon also told us to bin the hover board thing we bought for our kids that didn’t work. Apparently cheaper for them than paying to send a 400 euro bit by post.

orangespyderman

I suspect it’s not just the postage that puts them off. An individual can just put it in the right bin, a company will probably have to pay to have it recycled.

captmorgan
    Free Member

Phone them. Tell them that if they do not want it you will dispose of it. Then you can sell the bits.

On a couple of occasions I’ve had companies say that they didn’t want me to return an item, once when it was big and once when it was tiny and worth little. Makes sense.

That’s the right idea but a phone call’s not worth the paper it’s written on. Email them to leave a paper trail.

madmechanist
    Free Member

Just make absolutely sure that they do not want it back …got a wireless headset in long haul..it was dead and stored dead and wouldn’t charge or even turn on..ended up getting a refund and they never wanted a return so bought another one and used the cables and transmitter of the duff one as a spare..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Failing to return a broken warranty item??’ is closed to new replies.